Robbery Roleplay

ThomasNoman

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

It's not a rule. It's simple common sense and staff will tell you that you don't need to showitems, it's been said time and time again you're not obligated to do it.

It should be in the rules so the would be robbers don't get pissy when someone says no.

2 minutes ago, Jura said:

Robbery always seems to favour the robber when it comes to claims of people not RP'ing fear, and it's got to the point where it's annoying.

The people being robbed seem forced into RP'ing fear while the robbers don't.

I feel this on a personal level. Where's the fear involved with pulling out guns / running around wearing masks in public in broad daylight. There's a certain element of the fear of getting caught for robbing people in the middle of a public street that should play into account as well.

A robbery between two people who evolve themselves around Illegal RP more than likely goes smoothly, at least in my own experience. The few times that I have robbed people, more than not the problems came out of people who were just regular citizens. Lots of civilians in the server just plain out refuse to be robbed, and immediately get triggered by the fact. Admins get involved, an OOC fest unsues, etc. To me, it always fall on people just not being aware of their surroundings. It doesn't matter what neighborhood you're in, predators are lurking around the entire city. Crime isn't just sanctioned for South LS, the entire city's in flames. Walk around by your lonesome late at night, soon enough something's gonna happen. Whether that's a robbery, kidnapping, whatever.

Another problem was people playing hero. Someone runs up on somebody, initiate the robbery, and a random chick in her Sultan stops in the middle of the street and hops out with her Combat Pistol to engage in a full-on shootout in the middle of the street for somebody she doesn't even know nor has spoken to prior. People risking their lives for other people over petty robberies is insane to me.

There are a good portion of people who roll around in whole Fortnite Squads, masked up and looking for people to rob throughout the night. Gives Illegal RP a bad name, and leaves a bad impression on a lot of people.

I never used melee, but if someone performs an action that evolves around putting something to your neck or head like a knife or gun, then you just turn around and shoot them, is just plain out PowerGaming to me. Communicate through /me's and /do's. Don't know why people wanna use Voice RP logic for a text based server. That's crazy to me.

Edited by varrio bangin
34 minutes ago, Jura said:

The people being robbed seem forced into RP'ing fear while the robbers don't.

This is moreso problematic, as robbers seem to use it as a free pass to coerce their target into doing anything, even when the demands would logically be more dangerous than the threat present.

Obviously being shot is something to be afraid of, but being told at gunpoint to enter a vehicle that could lead to hours, even days or weeks of torture... 

There should be a limit on how much that fear for life can be used, in which if that point is surpassed, the victim can choose a different course (or as intellectuals regard it - panic) and act without the risk of a CK. It can even scale according to the crime being committed at the time.

Planning to mug someone? If you take it too far and beat them to a pulp, there should be no CK consequence if they choose to try and flee or call for help. By that point, they would reasonably suspect that continuing to cooperate will lead to much worse than resisting.

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, varrio bangin said:

A robbery between two people who evolve themselves around Illegal RP more than likely goes smoothly, at least in my own experience. The few times that I have robbed people, more than not the problems came out of people who were just regular citizens.

I don't know, the report subforum is pretty full of illegal RPers constantly accusing each other back and forth.

Lots of civilians in the server just plain out refuse to be robbed, and immediately get triggered by the fact.

I probably play the least threatening character in Rancho and I have been robbed plenty. My character refuses to carry weapons on principle so that's just what happens to me. We exist, but there's only so many times I can stand to be threatened, attacked and robbed while trying to do random neighborhood RP without just needing to take a break from street RP in which I'm literally just used as a punching bag by pretty much everyone around me (there's obvious exceptions, there's many great illegal RPers I've met around Rancho particularly).

Communicate through /me's and /do's.

This is usually met with /b accusations of stalling. I rarely get to get any RP done when I get robbed. It's literally just stand and deliver. Every time I've tried to verbally defuse the robbery it hasn't mattered because I'm always instantly shut down because people assume you're just stalling for OOC reasons. It's RP, but if South Central is a reign of terror run by rampant gangs to the extent that not even the locals can walk around, then you'll run out of locals who are not gang-affiliated.

Edited by Koko
18 minutes ago, Koko said:

I don't know, the report subforum is pretty full of illegal RPers constantly accusing each other back and forth.

I probably play the least threatening character in Rancho and I have been robbed plenty. My character refuses to carry weapons on principle so that's just what happens to me. We exist, but there's only so many times I can stand to be threatened, attacked and robbed while trying to do random neighborhood RP without just needing to take a break from street RP in which I'm literally just used as a punching bag by pretty much everyone around me (there's obvious exceptions, there's many great illegal RPers I've met around Rancho particularly).

This is usually met with /b accusations of stalling. I rarely get to get any RP done when I get robbed. It's literally just stand and deliver. Every time I've tried to verbally defuse the robbery it hasn't mattered because I'm always instantly shut down because people assume you're just stalling for OOC reasons. It's RP, but if South Central is a reign of terror run by rampant gangs to the extent that not even the locals can walk around, then you'll run out of locals who are not gang-affiliated.

If someone's just over-using /me and /do whilst being robbed, or taking over 1-2 minutes to let out a simple line in RP is always accused of stalling. Stalling's another thing thats aids in robberies. Someone's robbing somebody, and then 2 minutes later out of nowhere a car of people pull up and just shoot you down. It's a usual thing. For instance, if I ran up on somebody and put a gun to his head, demanding him to give up what's in his pockets; it'd be a bit weird for him to take a whole 2 minutes to just type "/me raises his hands", or asking irrelevant & out-right stupid questions in /do to prolong the situation. Seen that happen too many times.

I'm speaking of my own experience. Bunch of people in South LS get robbed, the most you'd get out of anything is DeathMatching. Too many people using females to lure people into apartments, and then someone coming up from behind and robbing them blind. It's a everyday thang, everyone who's in South LS can relate to all of that.

Me being me, right, if I was living in Rancho then I'd have to adapt to my surroundings. Start a character off fresh that's not into shit except minding his own business, but obviously things'll get more grimey sooner enough. You'll be targeted, as your character doesn't know anybody to vouche for him to the local street gang that reigns over your neighborhood, and nobody knows his face. Getting beat up, robbed, whatever. That's usually the case for a lot of people. You're in a gang ridden, crime ridden neighborhood that's based off people showing face. If I went to Chamberlain Hills and got ran up on by Tortilla Flats, they'd immediately press me. They've never seen my character before. Some people tend to get physical in things like this, some people tend to actually rob you, and some people just let you be.

Mainly what I'm saying is adapt to your surroundings. If my character is in Mirror Park, he doesn't have to move as he would if he for instance lived in Rancho. Rancho is a dangerous place. There's a lot of aggression and targeting going on. If your character doesn't want to be victimized all the time, he'd have to show an equal amount of aggressiveness to survive.

Edited by varrio bangin
1 minute ago, varrio bangin said:

If someone's just over-using /me and /do whilst being robbed, or taking over 1-2 minutes to let out a simple line in RP is always accused of stalling. Stalling's another thing thats aids in robberies. Someone's robbing somebody, and then 2 minutes later out of nowhere a car of people pull up and just shoot you down. It's a usual thing. For instance, if I ran up on somebody and put a gun to his head, demanding him to give up what's in his pockets; it'd be a bit weird for him to take a whole 2 minutes to just type "/me raises his hands", or asking irrelevant & out-right stupid questions in /do to prolong the situation. Seen that happen too many times.

And in real life this is just something that people do. Stalling, trying to defuse it, trying to plead or trying to gain time. I have never personally called any friends to my aid because that's not the kind of person I am, but if any attempt at RPing with an attacker is going to be taken as me stalling with OOC intent, then at that point fair enough, you win and to me robberies are pretty much a script job. I walk around with my realistic amount of money and my cheap phone and wait until someone asks me to give them up. I just really don't get anything out of it personally, as one of the two parties involved.

4 minutes ago, varrio bangin said:

Me being me, right, if I was living in Rancho then I'd have to adapt to my surroundings. Start a character off fresh that's not into shit except minding his own business, but obviously things'll get more grimey sooner enough. You'll be targeted, as your character doesn't know anybody to vouche for him to the local street gang that reigns over your neighborhood, and nobody knows his face. Getting beat up, robbed, whatever. That's usually the case for a lot of people. You're in a gang ridden, crime ridden neighborhood that's based off people showing face. If I went to Chamberlain Hills and got ran up on by Tortilla Flats, they'd immediately press me. They've never seen my character before. Some people tend to get physical in things like this, some people tend to actually rob you, and some people just let you be.

That's fair enough. My problem is that even when I RP instant fear of gangs, plead and ask to be left alone, and insist that I have no gang ink or recognizable gang identifiers, a bunch of people go beyond simply mugging me and just brutalize a local civilian who has said yes to every demand. This is fine and dramatic maybe once or twice in your character's life. By the fifth time you find a group who doesn't coincide with your usual timezone who decide they don't know you and want to beat you to an inch of your life, it stops being too engaging.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Koko said:

And in real life this is just something that people do. Stalling, trying to defuse it, trying to plead or trying to gain time. I have never personally called any friends to my aid because that's not the kind of person I am, but if any attempt at RPing with an attacker is going to be taken as me stalling with OOC intent, then at that point fair enough, you win and to me robberies are pretty much a script job. I walk around with my realistic amount of money and my cheap phone and wait until someone asks me to give them up. I just really don't get anything out of it personally, as one of the two parties involved.

That's fair enough. My problem is that even when I RP instant fear of gangs, plead and ask to be left alone, and insist that I have no gang ink or recognizable gang identifiers, a bunch of people go beyond simply mugging me and just brutalize a local civilian who has said yes to every demand. This is fine and dramatic maybe once or twice in your character's life. By the fifth time you find a group who doesn't coincide with your usual timezone who decide they don't know you and want to beat you to an inch of your life, it stops being too engaging.

I'm speaking of people contacting people OOCly to help them out, like on Discord, and then stall the situation by prolonging it intentionally for their friends to come. Anything else from that I don't see a problem with.

Some factions are just too extra with it. To a degree, I understand but there's a point that I could say that some people just cross all the time. Not everybody has to be a hardened motherfucker with 60 tattoos and bodies under his belt. There's a boundary to everything. I'm just initially saying, at some point you'd have to adapt to your surroundings and understand that Rancho's an overly aggressive and political neighborhood. That's all.

8 minutes ago, Koko said:

By the fifth time you find a group who doesn't coincide with your usual timezone who decide they don't know you and want to beat you to an inch of your life, it stops being too engaging.

What is worse is that it is starting to seem like that is the preferred outcome of most muggings - a violent nigh-lethal assault of someone who cannot defend themselves purely due to ooc constraints.

With muggings being a weekly affair, my character has since adopted the policy of having her phone and money ready to hand over the moment someone wearing a mask approaches. During the most recent mugging, a pair insisted she instead shut up and get into a vehicle, so that they could transport her to the top of a parking garage, strip her of all of her clothes in a search that earned them twelve dollars and a phone they could not use, after which they physically beat her to near death and drove off.

I was absolutely willing to cooperate, but the muggers were so frantic, they interrupted every. single. attempt. to give them what they wanted, and even when they had it, they still enacted unreasonable violence.

In the end, there was nothing I could do. My character was forced to either be their punching bag, or be killed permanently. That is not so fun.