Robbery Roleplay

ThomasNoman

The times I've been robbed have been very poor RP, I don't even bother to pay attention while they're robbing me, many of them dare to call when you put an ad selling your house to rob you, then they go to your neighborhood (People from South LS coming to places like West Eclipse Boulevard, Hawick, Spanish Avenue) with their faces uncovered and a pistol in their hand, this RP is so poor that I decided to carry $120 and a Nokia in my pocket.

Edited by Jennie

A simple way to fix this, would be to mandate a rule stating something like:

When you approach a character, a /me must be made of the approach.

*Illegal Roleplayer makes his way over towards Legal Roleplayer, carrying a knife in hand.*
*Legal Roleplay doesn't notice or hear Illegal roleplayer, a set of earbuds blasting some shitty 90s disco*

I personally can't be bothered anymore, really. With the current rules and expectations from robbers, you're expected to simply freeze and give up everything, and anything that goes beyond that lands you a report on the forums. It really is not worth it to even resist. Robberies are pretty much treated like a scripted illegal job.

10 minutes ago, Jennie said:

this RP is so poor that I decided to carry $120 and a Nokia in my pocket.

^ this is the one solution right now. I'm sure people will stop trying to rob me once they see within 4 or 5 times that my South Central character literally carries 200 in cash and a burner phone. People wonder why people rarely play civilians when most of our existence when out in the wild is often reduced to be constant compliant victims of crime or as puppets for illegal characters to flex in front of their crew.

Edited by Koko

I mean the example you provided was powergaming. They provided you no chance to respond to the action of putting the knife up to your character. 

Powergaming is already a rule so in reality you should have taken screenshots and reported them but continued to RP.

For the most part if someone gets reported for that they either learn to change or keep getting reported and get banned eventually. 

It stops down the line eventually. 

• Applaud 1

Robbery RP is the worst the server has to offer - it's literally just a metagame developed through inflexible responses to reports concerning other robberies. It's reason they block you into a parking garage with a Baller or shout "HEY" from a motorcycle - because they know they can get away with it, and you don't have a wide range of responses that won't get you in trouble (despite their inherent realism.)

I'm not saying I don't understand the admin side of things. I do. They want to enforce not only individual realism, but group realism - and yet that's what leads us to these extremely unrealistic scenarios.

1. Some people fight back when held at gunpoint. Not a controversial point.
  2. Everyone would fight back at gunpoint if it were permitted. This seems to be the mindset that invariably leads to point #3.
  3. Nobody is allowed to fight back.

If you're a staff member reading through this, I'm not telling you how you'd rule - I'm just pointing out a pattern with past reports that result in the streets being empty. Many players don't have hours and hours to play the game, and if the hour or two in which you log in results in a robbery that leads to a report, what's the point of playing?

My opinion is that several things need to happen before I can use the word "Robbery RP" without it being an oxymoron.

1. Staff flexibility in fear RP adjudication. I'm not saying cast caution to the wind, but I've been personally punished for 'lack of fear RP' for doing something in response to a robbery when I've done that something in real life (this was some time ago with what is now essentially a different team, but the standard persists.)
  2. More restrictions on robberies. 40 hours minimum on a character before they're allowed to rob anyone. Create (larger) zones in which robbery is not permitted and others where staff spectating is required (which, yes, will reduce the absolute number of robberies that happen in these zones). If you want to get more people outdoors, this is how you do it.
  3. Harder penalties for failed robberies. Whether by courts or by amendment of the existing law, the penalties for armed robbery need to come more in line with their real life counterparts. It's baffling we don't have at least a week or two minimum - and that's a number that will make someone think twice about what they're about to do (alternatively, populate our prisons.)

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

Robbery RP has issues on both sides, but a big one is the robbers themselves in a lot of cases. Most muggers don't walk up to someone and pat them down like they were going through an airport check, you take their wallet, their phone in some cases, maybe their jacket or if it's a lady you just steal their purse.

It's quick, in and out, at least from the stories I've heard and been told.

3 minutes ago, Свето said:

Robbery RP has issues on both sides, but a big one is the robbers themselves in a lot of cases. Most muggers don't walk up to someone and pat them down like they were going through an airport check, you take their wallet, their phone in some cases, maybe their jacket or if it's a lady you just steal their purse.

It's quick, in and out, at least from the stories I've heard and been told.

This.

Robbers are not some TSA agents and the fact people stop you to pat you down to the point they do a testicular cancer check while at it is just blatant metagaming since it's a way to circumvent the rule of "you are not obligated to /showitems you describe where you put the items yourself", which would lead to some people just doing "/do You don't find anything." when in reality they have an AK-47 with Extendo in their posession. It's just plain stupid, man.

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

This.

Robbers are not some TSA agents and the fact people stop you to pat you down to the point they do a testicular cancer check while at it is just blatant metagaming since it's a way to circumvent the rule of "you are not obligated to /showitems you describe where you put the items yourself", which would lead to some people just doing "/do You don't find anything." when in reality they have an AK-47 with Extendo in their posession. It's just plain stupid, man.

I couldn't find the rule for /showitems, I must be blind. I wish I knew that though, I was robbed and they kept spamming /showitems in my PMs.

2 minutes ago, Akiba said:

I couldn't find the rule for /showitems, I must be blind. I wish I knew that though, I was robbed and they kept spamming /showitems in my PMs.

It's not a rule. It's simple common sense and staff will tell you that you don't need to showitems, it's been said time and time again you're not obligated to do it.