Robbery Roleplay

ThomasNoman

Robbery Roleplay

I've been roleplaying as law abiding citizens in all my original 3 character slots for a while now, and have been encountering a ridiculous amount of robberies. But, okay that's an in-character thing. The issue here today is I see, most of the times, in robberies, the victim does not have time to re-act or respond to the criminal's roleplay.

Examples 

REAL SITUATION

* My character is a business-man with slight athlete built person, and is someone who is alert to the environment all the time, armed with a pistol which has been legally obtained and permitted to.

At a local parking lot.

Stranger 123: Hey!

Stranger 123 then walks up to my character.

— as soon as Stranger 123 walks up to my character, my character walks away one second before stranger 123 sends the following message.

Stranger 123: /me takes out his switchblade and puts it over at my character's throat.

At this point, even if immediate, if I draw my pistol, I would be accused of powergaming. Why? Because the knife is already at my throat, and therefore I would be accused for Fear Roleplay when there's many other possibilities. With my character being an alert person and armed, he might notice while the criminal was reaching for something, and immediately stop the action, but there's no way to know that script-wise. 90% of the time I got robbed, there were not any single /do's. It feels like it's a forcing action, and there's nothing you can do. It's kind of a grey area. If I'm going to report someone for not doing /do's, then it would be kind of stupid, and might end up getting a reply for "petty report".  Therefore to improve the robbery roleplay and make the both side happy, I have a solution to suggest.

SOLUTION

There's a heavy voice-based RAGE:MP server. Since it's a voice server, players are not going to be writing detailed /me's like we do in GTA World. There would be no smiling, grinning, nodding or that stuff since players would be actively speaking. And it's actually a requirement stated in their LSPD website in their recruitment page that, "We are not looking for people who put down 10 /me's for a simple action nor writing a book when searching a suspect"..... BUT there's one thing I really like about this server is it is a requirement to use /do's when interacting with other players especially in crimes.

It should be a requirement to use /do's when interacting with other players. This is to prevent forcing actions on others.

So, instead of:

/me pats Jake from top to the bottom, searching each pockets.

/b do /showitems XXX

It can be

/me pats Jake from top to the bottom, searching each pockets.

/do Would I be able to do so? If yes, what would I find?

I honestly would think GTA World is the server that this kind of rule would exist out of the three if I haven't played any of them. And honestly, even "/do s?" which stands for "success?" or "/do able?" is acceptable. It may represent laziness, but at least you are doing it, and not forcing roleplay on anyone. The victim would now be able to respond to the actions and re-act appropriately, but at the meantime, the victim shouldn't be using the play to win mentality too by drawing guns every time. In that case, the criminal can also report the victim if it's questionable. This might be an issue, but honestly, I think, in the end, it would give more benefits than harms.

What do you think?

Rather than putting this in the rules suggestion, I would like to hear an open discussion regarding this. What do you think about the robbery procedures?— Do you think there's any issues? Or do you have any comments on my suggestion? You're always free to comment!

Edited by ThomasNoman
Grammar Fix
  • Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, orangejuice said:

*has a firearm on him*

/do You would find nothing on his person.

Every time I get robbed, I don't /showitems after seeing an admin stated it's not required. And I only give items on the places they search. There's no possible way to make both sides happy about this unless there's a system that you can put each items in each part of your body, and the criminal can search them.

17 minutes ago, Tr1bal said:

You would need to establish this alertness through your everyday /me's and catalog it. Also situational pre-emptive me's to counter all kinds of threats is also required.

Nope, I wouldn't. I don't type useless /me's. That can be added to my attribute. It's actually a common sense. You don't need to be an alert person to notice someone pulling out a knife by randomly walking to me and Control V "/me puts knife in throat". When in real life, it's really noticeable. You can be aware at how the criminal is showing their hands normally, putting them in their pockets or if they are slowly trying to reach something. At that point, I would pull out my gun. Again, problems with some certain low standard criminals.

Edited by ThomasNoman

* My character is a business-man with slight athlete built person, and is someone who is alert to the environment all the time, armed with a pistol which has been legally obtained and permitted to.

I find this kind of ridiculous. You've basically described your average every day dude with a CCW. What does "alert to the environment all the time" mean?

The very nature of GTA:V gives you a 3rd person view with an immense field of view radius. You're already unrealistically aware of your surroundings. Somehow your character is even more alert than that? 

IRL, if someone wanted to come and put a knife to your throat, they would have quietly approached you from your back and wrapped it around your throat in a second. This is obviously impossible to do here since there's no "back" and none is going to accuse you of powergaming if you suddenly turn around (because you can claim that you were going to anyway). 

Now, because of that immense awareness that you have on an OOC level which translates to IC as well, certain rapid actions are allowed to be joined together, like 

/me pulls out a knife from his pocket and sticks it to X's throat.

My question is, if you saw them coming at you, before their /me, why didn't you just walk away and RP it as your character being "alert".

To me it sounds like you have this idea in your mind that your character is a particular badass and then when someone robbed you because you didn't see them or because they tricked you, you got mad.

I see nothing wrong with the scenario you posted. You've been given sooooo many more advantages than you would have IRL that it's not even debatable in my mind. 

As for "/do Would I be able to?", I find that particular form of roleplay a little repetitive, predictable and newbie-ish. It always dissolves over time to "/do s/f?", which is just a rushed, boring way to roleplay anything. Ideally both parties work off each other's actions in a fluid fashion. I understand doing a "/do Would I be able to?" only if the other party is stalling by not replying.

Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

Edited by TritonXVII
  • Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1
2 minutes ago, ThomasNoman said:

Every time I get robbed, I don't /showitems after seeing an admin stated it's not required. And I only give items on the places they search. There's no possible way to make both sides happy about this unless there's a system that you can put each items in each part of your body, and the criminal can search them.

Nope, I wouldn't. I don't type useless /me's. That can be added to my attribute. It's actually a common sense. You don't need to be an alert person to notice someone pulling out a knife by randomly walking to me and Control V "/me puts knife in throat". When in real life, it's really noticeable. You can be aware at how the criminal is showing their hands normally, putting them in their pockets or if they are slowly trying to reach something. At that point, I would pull out my gun. Again, problems with some certain low standard criminals.

In my opinion and I'm only talking from my personal experience on this server, legal role-players are the ones that are not roleplaying robbery's correctly. Whenever I've robbed someone that's into illegal roleplay, they have roleplayed fear for their life, re-acted accordingly and handed over their items of value.

Every single time I've robbed someone who plays a legal character, it's ended in an admin situation or a threat of reporting because the victim has either damn right refused to roleplay at all and just tried to leave, has tried to lie through /do that they don't have anything on them despite having a firearm or they have just quit, including an off duty detective who then only came back in-game once I provided him with video evidence on discord and suggested we take it to the forums, if he didn't want to actually roleplay.

I agree that a lot of robberies could probably be more detailed but at the same time I've never saw a robbery that was /me searches victim, /b /showitems. I also do not think /do is particularly required much in a robbery, simply because your characters actions should be expressed through /me's. The only use I have of /do in a robbery is /do Would the victim resist at all, /do Does the victim allow my character to do so? etc. The majority would be /me's and through IC chat. 

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, orangejuice said:

In my opinion and I'm only talking from my personal experience on this server, legal role-players are the ones that are not roleplaying robbery's correctly. Whenever I've robbed someone that's into illegal roleplay, they have roleplayed fear for their life, re-acted accordingly and handed over their items of value.

Every single time I've robbed someone who plays a legal character, it's ended in an admin situation or a threat of reporting because the victim has either damn right refused to roleplay at all and just tried to leave, has tried to lie through /do that they don't have anything on them despite having a firearm or they have just quit, including an off duty detective who then only came back in-game once I provided him with video evidence on discord and suggested we take it to the forums, if he didn't want to actually roleplay.

I agree that a lot of robberies could probably be more detailed but at the same time I've never saw a robbery that was /me searches victim, /b /showitems. I also do not think /do is particularly required much in a robbery, simply because your characters actions should be expressed through /me's. The only use I have of /do in a robbery is /do Would the victim resist at all, /do Does the victim allow my character to do so? etc. The majority would be /me's and through IC chat. 

This ^

Most robberies are motivated by profit instead of being role-play driven. Fear goes both ways. Players often clash because neither parties are comfortable with taking an L - the robbers often role-play little to no

fear (or barely role-play at all) while those who get robbed role-play little to no fear by not giving up whatever they have on them and instead choose to die.

There's no systemic way to fix this. The easiest way to do so is by reporting singular instances. If anything, do what you can to take robberies seriously on both ends of the marble. 

When groups of people 3 or 4 deep rolling through Mirror Park masked up like we're in downtown Benghazi all armed and masked up becomes realistic I'll start worrying about how people respond to /b stop stalling within 6 seconds of said death squad jumping out of their cars. Take two days ago for example, when 3 masked dudes in guns were driving around chain robbing people in Mirror Park:

https://streamable.com/o79i2a

It feels like I live in Iraq the amount of 4 deep cars with death squads inside that roll past my front door every hour.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1