Remove the injured/died part of downed character message. [G]

Seaward

2 minutes ago, Seaward said:

The /damages command would still be there. If you have the time to confirm their death instead of immediately running, shoot them in the head and confirm it's synced with /damages. If you don't have the time to check then you'll just have to hope, which is realistic.

What if he's been shot 2-3 times in the torso? Is he dead or is he not? How can I be 100% positive?

Edited by TritonXVII
12 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

What if he's been shot 2-3 times in the torso? Is he dead or is he not? How can I be 100% positive?

The same as real life, you can't be 100% positive at a glance even if you see a hole or two in their torso, people can survive that. If you have the time and really need to make sure they aren't going to survive, you can still finish them off. This suggestion doesn't make it easier or harder to kill someone, just removes the ability to tell if they're finished or not at a glance. 

10 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

Shoot him again. 

The suggestion is stop people walking around a circle of dead bodies checking above their head to see if they're dead or injured to only shoot the injured people into a dead state. If you want to be 1000% sure? This system would have you shooting all of the bodies in the head, execution style for a guaranteed result. 

2 minutes ago, Seaward said:

The same as real life, you can't be 100% positive at a glance even if you see a hole or two in their torso, people can survive that. If you have the time and really need to make sure they aren't going to survive, you can still finish them off. This suggestion doesn't make it easier or harder to kill someone, just removes the ability to tell if they're finished or not at a glance. 

Hence why I said we should have a /checkpulse.

So I can quickly run up to someone,

/me drops on one knee, as he extends his hand toward X, checking his pulse.

/checkpulse

He's dead.

and run off.

You're implying that what's better is to give you a list of /damages and then assume that you know to infer whether he's alive or not? 

1 minute ago, Lewwwy said:

Shoot him again. 

The suggestion is stop people walking around a circle of dead bodies checking above their head to see if they're dead or injured to only shoot the injured people into a dead state. If you want to be 1000% sure? This system would have you shooting all of the bodies in the head, execution style for a guaranteed result. 

I feel like this is solving a problem by creating a new one. How many reports are you gonna see from people arguing back and forth whether they actually died or not? Just add /checkpulse and get it over with. It eliminates the MG of "Player is dead" above their heads while creating an avenue for someone to script-wisely ensure someone is dead. I don't see what the issue is.

Edited by TritonXVII
3 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

I feel like this is solving a problem by creating a new one. How many reports are you gonna see from people arguing back and forth whether they actually died or not? Just add /checkpulse and get it over with. It eliminates the MG of "Player is dead" above their heads while creating an avenue for someone to script-wisely ensure someone is dead. I don't see what the issue is.

So everyone and their Nan can suddenly understand how to take a pulse reading? No thanks. If you want to suggest a script or system like that, feel free on the designated area but this isn't the place my friend. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Lewwwy said:

So everyone and their Nan can suddenly understand how to take a pulse reading? No thanks. If you want to suggest a script or system like that, feel free on the designated area but this isn't the place my friend. 

I'll pretend like you didn't just imply that it's hard to determine whether someone has a pulse or not. Shit, I've seen my little nephew check his pulse after running up and down the yard with him and go "Oh my God my heart is beating so faaaast"... But I dunno perhaps it is an immensely difficult skill to acquire for some people -.-

As for whether this is the right place or not, I addressed the suggestion on my original comment and simply said that I'd support it, only IF /checkpulse was a thing, otherwise no. This is the perfectly right place for this kind of back and forth. When management/developers review this, they'll take my point into consideration. I could be wrong, I'm not always right, seldom are in fact, but it is a point of concern for me. 

I had this idea for a long time and I would love to see it, especially with all the metagaming that comes with the message.

31 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

You can't! That's the beauty of it! You wanna make sure a guy is dead? Shoot him in the head five times and hope you don't miss anything important. There is no need to scriptwise a /checkpulse command, you can just RP checking their pulse, or again, just shoot them in the head a few times for good measure.

Perhaps a solution is to allow certain factions the usage of something along the lines of /checkpulse. For example, allow only FD/PD/SD/Coroners so they can check what the person needs to RP (dead, injured etc), allowing everyone to use such command would just turn gang shootings into a "/checkpulse and /me checks x's pulse quickly with two fingers on his neck"-fest, not to mention most people don't really know how to check for a pulse properly.

If you wanna tell me people will take their gloves off, lay fingers on a victim, stand there for about fifteen seconds just focusing on counting the pulse, sounds crazy to me, and like bad character portrayal.

I'd like to mention the idea of only legal factions having the /checkpulse sounds like a bad idea to me, but making such command and giving it to everyone sounds even worse.

In the end, I believe removing the message above the head and using /damages is the way to go, /checkpulse would create more problems and probably more metagaming.

EDIT:

Just now, TritonXVII said:

I'll pretend like you didn't just imply that it's hard to determine whether someone has a pulse or not. Shit, I've seen my little nephew check his pulse after running up and down the yard with him and go "Oh my God my heart is beating so faaaast"... But I dunno perhaps it is an immensely difficult skill to acquire for some people -.-

As for whether this is the right place or not, I addressed the suggestion on my original comment and simply said that I'd support it, only IF /checkpulse was a thing, otherwise no. This is the perfectly right place for this kind of back and forth. When management/developers review this, they'll take my point into consideration. I could be wrong, I'm not always right, seldom are in fact, but it is a point of concern for me. 

You'd be very surprised how hard it is to shoot someone, drop your gun, take their pulse and measure how strong it is exactly, also, someone not having a pulse doesn't mean they can't be brought back, so, again, don't rely on it.

Edited by Exodus
Adding a bit more + spelling
  • Applaud 1
15 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

Hence why I said we should have a /checkpulse.

So I can quickly run up to someone,

/me drops on one knee, as he extends his hand toward X, checking his pulse.

/checkpulse

He's dead.

and run off.

You're implying that what's better is to give you a list of /damages and then assume that you know to infer whether he's alive or not? 

thats literally the dumbest fucking thing ive ever heard, whos gonna check a persons pulse during a shootout or after they just killed them. If you shoot someone, you don't know if they're dead. Same as IRL, it depends on the type of gun ur using, how much times u shot them, ect. U'll just have to take an educated guess.

The whole point is you SHOULDN'T know if the person is dead instantly for certain. To everyone saying "Sync", sync has drastically improved in the past few months, not sure if you've just not been in a shootout for a long time or what but sync isn't that much of an issue in shootouts rn.

Just now, Pathway said:

thats literally the dumbest fucking thing ive ever heard, whos gonna check a persons pulse during a shootout or after they just killed them. If you shoot someone, you don't know if they're dead. Same as IRL, it depends on the type of gun ur using, how much times u shot them, ect. U'll just have to take an educated guess.

The whole point is you SHOULDN'T know if the person is dead instantly for certain. To everyone saying "Sync", sync has drastically improved in the past few months, not sure if you've just not been in a shootout for a long time or what but sync isn't that much of an issue in shootouts rn.

Hmmm, I'd assume that the dumbest thing you'd ever heard was that you're assuming every killing on the server is an active gang shootout in the middle of Davis. But then again, perhaps you're some kind of enlightened individual that only hears smart things all the time, so you have a low tolerance for dumb things? :D 

Come on bud.

Just now, TritonXVII said:

As someone who works in Emergency Medical Services, I can tell you it can take a minute on some patients to find a pulse. Everyone is shaped and sized a littttleee differently, so it can be exceptionally difficult on some patients to quickly locate a pulse. 

Although it is easiest for laypersons to take it at the carotid artery (your neck), the reality of our world is the vast majority of people have almost 0 medical knowledge outside of how to put a bandaid on. Even then, knowledge is only half the battle and part of it comes down to experience. Either way, your average criminal isn't going to check a pulse lol. If they want to make sure someone is dead, they'll just execute the victim. 

• Applaud 1
  • MomoIsHere changed the title to Remove the injured/died part of downed character message. [G]
  • MomoIsHere locked this topic