The death of realism.

Copa Cabana

I R.P.'d as a "New Age" Native addicted to heroin and meth. He wasn't insulted for his imperfections on an O.O.C. level, only on an I.C. level, as he'd always discuss how he'd gain his next high. 

You're probably RPing around the wrong group of people. Experiment with the county, a bit, or seek other environments to R.P. this character within. Seek an I.C. method towards steering away from the "model" group of people.

Then again, it's weird that every one can speak Russian... Espanol, I understand, as it's a secondary language in the nation. But, why is some random American-born person fluent in Russian?

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 2

Aside from the title making my eyeliner run, WHO have you been playing with? Every time I've seen a character that's intentionally flawed, from looks to their personality, I've seen nothing but praise OOC so I'm not too sure why you'd be getting THAT much abuse, unless you was playing an obviously flawed or disabled character in the mix of a bunch of insensitive gangbangers or something. 

2 hours ago, Sim said:

This annoys me. Los Angeles is a place rich of characters and a handful of them have varying mental issues, yet people attempt to portray them in a way it gives then a reason to just go and DM people because "haha voices told me to".

It sucks, really, I want to RP someone with mental health issues in the near future but I'm scared because people will keep reminding me "hey mental issues are kinda not allowed bro" or will ask things like "hey why are you portraying this?" to the point I grow tired of my character, like I've done before

Portray it good and you're golden. Don't follow the crowd is what I always say when it comes to it. I RP a socially awkward and shy firefighter.

11 hours ago, Copa Cabana said:

If you were to take the general populace of the characters in GTA: World, you'd see that probably over 80 percent are flawless supermodels that speak many various languages.

We have a special term for these types of people. It's forbidden to say on threads. 

I personally don't experience such crowds en-masse in roleplay. I guess some of my characters are picky with who they interact with.

I've played some hideous characters and I got nothing but praise on an out of character level. Yes, in character they'd catch a whole lot of abuse. But...

At the end of the day, roleplaying is creative writing, and serves as a form of escapism for a lot of people. I do wish to see more average looking characters, I think they tend to be more interesting. It's why I appreciate the skin damages/blemishes/other overlays in the character creator. They can definitely make your character more interesting visually, and help them stand out.

As for the speaking multiple languages thing...

I've only met a handful of characters that do so. Two of them were interpreters and had a valid backing for so (one even offering their services as an interpreter, which I found to be neat), and one I just genuinely can not remember. I can not say that I've seen this as an issue, but I'd definitely say that it's questionable if you run into it a lot. But, my mileage varies in that regard.

While I do understand where you're coming from, OP, what do you suggest as a course of action?

What are the benefits, and what are the drawbacks of it? Not attacking you — just genuinely wish to know how you'd deal with it.

• Upvote 1

It's monkey see monkey do, portray a good character, do your best to influence these players with your talent and they'll come around. A lot of people are in the dark and sort of find their way into that sort of scene when they join the server, do not antagonize them because that will only make them seize up and be defensive about their roleplay. It's important to nurture new players and teach them to appreciate the separation of character and self. 

• Applaud 2