too many mobs

aldo

1 hour ago, Henning said:

This is all semantics.

@aldo Your correct that the sicilian mob refers to themselves as Cosa Nostra, the American mob was labeled la Cosa Nostra (LCN) by the FBI. They needed a label for the type of organized crime they were dealing with and it made sense to call them exactly what they were replicating from Sicily.

It's the same with many of the big families and how they received their names. Nobody stood around in the 20's and went "I'm so and so Bonanno! This is the Bonanno crime family!". No, Joseph Bonanno was at the top of the family as they began to get investigated and so the FBI labeled them the Bonanno crime family even though 1. before Joe Bonanno there were multiple other bosses and 2. there hasn't been a Bonanno as boss since 1964.

yeah got it i get it now, thanks!

I personally don't like the concept of Mafia RP, but I completely understand how (like for example MCs) they are a tremendously popular concept. I see no reason to complain though because none of those factions currently exist in my immediate RP radar. Why complain about what other people create in their own free time for their own enjoyment?

As most things in GTA:W, if people think there aren't enough street gangs (which I think there's plenty of): be the change you want to see and make one, rather than complaining that there's too much of another kind of RP that you really don't have to get involved with unless you want to. A majority of mob factions rarely last anyway, they're a revolving door of gangster origin stories which then end up kinda fading away in a couple months at most. The ones that pull through all that are a relative minority and I think that their survival is proof enough that they have a well-deserved place in the RP space.

Then again, I'm not too concerned with the realism argument because I don't like taking GTA:W as an attempt at a 1:1 simulation of LA.

6 hours ago, BadassBaboon said:

Italian Mobsters in the modern age are just like every other person, businessmen mostly. It's extremely hard to distinguish them unless if they have a profile or used to be connected.

And personally I think the opposite, there are quite a lot of local gangs, MCs and posies than actual organized mobs, considering their activity of course.

There’s 18 mobs dude 

2 hours ago, MCB666 said:

Not gonna lie there's really 18 fucking mobs like holy shit, but then again I mean GTA:W has a history of LCN/Organized crime roleplay so I can't really say there shouldn't be mobs/mafias etc.

Also as I pointed out a earlier a majority of the eastern European ones are apart of the same mega faction. 

In reality there's only like 8 actual mobs, the rest are pretty minor or just small cells/crews which aren't really that distinguishable from gangs.

• Upvote 2