too many mobs

aldo

1 hour ago, Rickaroni said:

Here’s the thing, and I know I’ve said it before. This server’s community loves to talk about realism, and how things are IRL in Los Angeles but at the end of the day, this isn’t LA. 

LA serves as a blueprint for GTAW’s setting and it should always act as some sort of guide for how this place runs (weather, culture, etc). On the other hand, you shouldn’t disregard the lore and history that has been created throughout the years by hundreds of different roleplayers. 

The Italian Mafia is LA is pretty much gone, yes. No argument. But the mob in GTAW’s Los Santos is surviving. Unrealistic when compared to LA? Sure. Unrealistic when looking at the history of our server’s lore? Not at all. Some of these factions have been around since the beginning, starting from nothing and have grown organically through hard work and genuine Roleplay. They should be punished for that because it’s not how Los Angeles is IRL? 

Another example is how people talk about the fact that there’s cameras all over American cities that help deter street crime (purse snatching, mugging, car jackings, etc). And they’re absolutely correct. But because there’s cameras in IRL America doesn’t mean there’s cameras on GTAW’s Los Santos. If the police can’t get ahold of the street crime problem in the city then why should the street criminals limit their criminal activity? 

A third example would be Vespucci Beach and Venice Beach. GTAW’s Vespucci beach can be high crime at any point of the day. Kind of unrealistic to a lot of how Venice Beach is IRL. But this neighborhood turned shitty because of the Roleplay that occurred there. It’s gone off in a different direction to the real life counterpart but that doesn’t make it “wrong.” 

My point is this, don’t limit Roleplay because the IRL mirror to Los Santos is one way. If things have grown into something organically, and it’s based on a solid Roleplay foundation, then let it be. Let this server, and the community that plays on it, forge their own history and lore instead of constantly trying to mirror something in real life. 

In my opinion, you're exactly right. However that's exactly what FM have been doing in a number of cases. I personally believe, as long as the idea has an element  of realism to it and fits the server lore people should be allowed to go ahead and roleplay it. I have no issue with mafias being roleplayed personally. 

However you have to understand, confusion is caused by the statements made by FM, especially when said statements are complete contradictions of themselves. FM have refused a number of faction ideas that ACTUALLY exist in LA. The given reason, "this group is not prevalent enough in modern day LA". Even though they are. The example I used is the Yakuza. The Yakuza actually operate in LA even in 2020. Yakuza factions are constantly refused and denied by FM who state "it's not realistic, they don't hold the power they used too". I saw a comment from one guy who's faction idea for a Yakuza group was actually accepted however VERY heavy restrictions were placed on him. He could only have 5-6 guys and they had to roleplay imports through the dock, that kind of roleplay. Now if you ask me? That's completely fine because actually, that's a pretty realistic representation to how a Yazuka group would operate in 2020.

However when people apply to make a Mafia. They are accepted, seemingly with no restrictions (having gone through faction threads). Despite the fact that it is unrealistic and physically does not exist in LA. My point is, why are we telling one player to treat Los Santos like it is EXACTLY a copy of Los Angeles and then telling another player, hey buddy, do what you want. 

The rules should apply to everyone equally, in my opinion. 

Edited by orangejuice
24 minutes ago, orangejuice said:

In my opinion, you're exactly right. However that's exactly what FM have been doing in a number of cases. I personally believe, as long as the idea has an element  of realism to it and fits the server lore people should be allowed to go ahead and roleplay it. I have no issue with mafias being roleplayed personally. 

However you have to understand, confusion is caused by the statements made by FM, especially when said statements are complete contradictions of themselves. FM have refused a number of faction ideas that ACTUALLY exist in LA. The given reason, "this group is not prevalent enough in modern day LA". Even though they are. The example I used is the Yakuza. The Yakuza actually operate in LA even in 2020. Yakuza factions are constantly refused and denied by FM who state "it's not realistic, they don't hold the power they used too". I saw a comment from one guy who's faction idea for a Yakuza group was actually accepted however VERY heavy restrictions were placed on him. He could only have 5-6 guys and they had to roleplay imports through the dock, that kind of roleplay. Now if you ask me? That's completely fine because actually, that's a pretty realistic representation to how a Yazuka group would operate in 2020.

However when people apply to make a Mafia. They are accepted, seemingly with no restrictions (having gone through faction threads). Despite the fact that it is unrealistic and physically does not exist in LA. My point is, why are we telling one player to treat Los Santos like it is EXACTLY a copy of Los Angeles and then telling another player, hey buddy, do what you want. 

The rules should apply to everyone equally, in my opinion. 

I agree entirely. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a Yakuza faction. But I’m also of the mindset that I have no idea how to run a server or the community that comes with it so when FM approves a faction, it’s my job to just accept it and run with it being a thing within GTAW’s lore. I do know that if I were in the position of FM I’d really push people to join existing factions (and they may do that already, I don’t know). 

So I think people need to understand every 3-6 months the server gets a wave of people wanting to do LCN, so if your seeing a million Italian last names all of a sudden that's why. Many of them want to do their OWN thing. Right now I for sure know there's a group RPing as Sicilian born mobsters who moved to San Andreas, which is and I'll be perfectly blunt; stupid as fuck. But that'll never get accepted by IFM and I assume they'll die out pretty quickly.

Besides the random's? There's literally only 3 LCN factions, a crime family, a large crew and a small crew each doing pretty well RP wise. The LCN community also does a pretty good job of policing it's own quality, I think we all have the same base level of expectations when it comes to how much development should go into an LCN character. A lot of the guys who've been able to get made on this server have developed those characters for I'd say on average 3-4 months IRL and I know of a few characters who have been developing for close to 3 years now IRL, going from nobody to the a boss or captain.

34 minutes ago, Henning said:

So I think people need to understand every 3-6 months the server gets a wave of people wanting to do LCN, so if your seeing a million Italian last names all of a sudden that's why. Many of them want to do their OWN thing. Right now I for sure know there's a group RPing as Sicilian born mobsters who moved to San Andreas, which is and I'll be perfectly blunt; stupid as fuck. But that'll never get accepted by IFM and I assume they'll die out pretty quickly.

Besides the random's? There's literally only 3 LCN factions, a crime family, a large crew and a small crew each doing pretty well RP wise. The LCN community also does a pretty good job of policing it's own quality, I think we all have the same base level of expectations when it comes to how much development should go into an LCN character. A lot of the guys who've been able to get made on this server have developed those characters for I'd say on average 3-4 months IRL and I know of a few characters who have been developing for close to 3 years now IRL, going from nobody to the a boss or captain.

not talkin about the current 'italian' american mob, they've been around forever and the RP is top notch so it's not as if they are part of the 'too many mobs' problem. but again la cosa nostra is the sicilian mafia, so theres no LCN on gta:world other than the one thats about to be denied

14 hours ago, aldo said:

not talkin about the current 'italian' american mob, they've been around forever and the RP is top notch so it's not as if they are part of the 'too many mobs' problem. but again la cosa nostra is the sicilian mafia, so theres no LCN on gta:world other than the one thats about to be denied

Your understanding seems to be slightly askew. While yes there are many Sicilian and Italians Mafia clans, and "Cosa Nostra" translates to "Our Thing" - "La Cosa Nostra" is the AMERICAN mafia. You are correct in that they came from Sicily/Italy originally. But the sentence "there's no LCN on GTA World" is completely false. There are three LCN factions. 

7 minutes ago, Visceral said:

Your understanding seems to be slightly askew. While yes there are many Sicilian and Italians Mafia clans, and "Cosa Nostra" translates to "Our Thing" - "La Cosa Nostra" is the AMERICAN mafia. You are correct in that they came from Sicily/Italy originally. But the sentence "there's no LCN on GTA World" is completely false. There are three LCN factions. 

they are simply american mobs, not la cosa nostra

Edited by aldo
5 minutes ago, aldo said:

they are simply american mobs, not la cosa nostra

No mate, you are simply incorrect and need to update your information. La Cosa Nostra = The American Mob/Mafia. If you did one second of a google you would discover that for yourself.

Cosa Nostra = "Our thing" / Sicilian Mafia
La Cosa Nostra = The American Mafia, originally derived from Sicily/Italy but completely separate to the organizations across the seas. 

Edited by Visceral