Long /me's

Ketamine Kowboy

I just think overall where you use longer /me's or shorter /me's still depends on where you're roleplaying. If you're not in a time sensitive role-play scene then sure use long /me's. If you're in a scene that typically only takes less than ten minutes, go for short /me's to keep the flow going.  It just really depends on everyone around you and the context of the roleplay. It's always good to keep with the flow of the role-play rather than adding additional details that aren't needed. Not saying we should restrict long /me's at all cause that would be foolish.

• Upvote 1

I feel it should be circumstantial. Basic actions don't require long /me's but more advanced actions, such as removing a magazine from a gun and clearing the chamber, can be done in one long /me instead of spamming the chat with several smaller /me's. Feel out the action and the situation you're in and just do whatever works for you.  

50 minutes ago, ThatMuricanGuy said:

I feel it should be circumstantial. Basic actions don't require long /me's but more advanced actions, such as removing a magazine from a gun and clearing the chamber, can be done in one long /me instead of spamming the chat with several smaller /me's. Feel out the action and the situation you're in and just do whatever works for you.  

Building on this I think there are some actions which don't even need a /me such as lighting a cigarette. Smoke3+Smoke4 done back to back covers the whole motion, no need to ALSO do a /me for it. 

Emotes shouldn't be long just for the sake of being long, but a good long emote that's actually trying to tell me something is worth waiting for IMO. Mind you, I come from a background of long-form paragraph based RP where people go in turns and giving each person in the room 5-10 minutes to type is the norm so I've got monk patience when it comes to this stuff. I find it far more frustrating when people start machinegunning me with short posts, particularly during a 'stressful' situation like a stickup. Like do you not see the speech bubble above my head? You caught me off guard; let me react.

• Upvote 3

It doesn’t affect roleplay that much as it is just someone trying to be making a detailed /me. I’m honestly not a fan of long or short /me’s, but long ones don’t really cause much harm. What I am trying to say is that long /me’s really don’t affect roleplay that much while short /me’s do since it either will result in extreme lack of detail, or just them spamming the chat because of how short they keep it.

11 minutes ago, tomatoz said:

short /me’s do since it either will result in extreme lack of detail, or just them spamming the chat because of how short they keep it.

Not trying to put you on the spot here, just genuinely wondering, is this short /me's as a whole, or depending on context? I fully agree that short /me's are not always the better option, like outlined in the original post, there is a time and a place for short /me's. 

But digressing

Let's say for example I do "/me sips his beer." What further detail do you need from that? If you care for what brand of beer I drink, I could do "/me sips his Heineken." 

Once again, not trying to put anyone on the spot, just interested in your opinion on the matter

1 minute ago, Свето said:

Not trying to put you on the spot here, just genuinely wondering, is this short /me's as a whole, or depending on context? I fully agree that short /me's are not always the better option, like outlined in the original post, there is a time and a place for short /me's. 

But digressing

Let's say for example I do "/me sips his beer." What further detail do you need from that? If you care for what brand of beer I drink, I could do "/me sips his Heineken." 

Once again, not trying to put anyone on the spot, just interested in your opinion on the matter

Just depending on the context. Sometimes, it would make sense if someone did a short /me. For short /me's, I personally like to use /ame's (if it would make sense in that scenario).

5 minutes ago, Свето said:

Let's say for example I do "/me sips his beer." What further detail do you need from that?

It’s not very descriptive and pretty bland and characterless, but it works perfectly fine if you’re not trying to convey anything. That’s the thing, whether short or long it doesn’t matter it’s more about what you want to convey and how you do it. It’s entirely circumstantial.