Long /me's

Ketamine Kowboy

6 minutes ago, Dom. said:

Long /me's are fine. What annoys me is people roleplaying in past tense. Looks fucking stupid. You're roleplaying the character as they exist, not retelling stories of their existence. 

Such styles are prevalent in forum roleplays, MMORPGs and GMod.

Nothing criminal about it tbh.

• Upvote 1

Never cared ab people making long ass lines for RP. People RP how they wanna RP, it is what it is. Only time I find it annoying is when someone makes a whole 2-3 liner over something as simple as shaking hands, eyeballing somebody, retrieving something, or making a facial expression. Don't want my chat filled with some chick writing a novel over how descriptive her character's smiling. That type of shit is annoying. Other than that, whatever.

• Upvote 1

I like all the different styles of emotes, be it /do, /my, /ame, /me, etc and how people choose to use them. 

What bothers me is when (it happens when people are being shitty to each other) people don't give others an appropriate amount of time to type out a decent /me.  Example:

Dude 1 grabs Lady 1 by the arm and shouts "Don't move, bitch."

Dude 2 grabs Lady 1's other arm.

Lady 1 grabs her pepper spray with her free hand and gives Dude1 a squirt in the eyes.

/b Dude 1: No you cant do that cause we did our /mes before you, we're gonna go rape and kill you now.

I don't need 3 hours to do so, but give me a chance since I don't always type so fast.

I also don't understand what Dom meant by playing in past tense.

Edited by Fareena Mohamadi

Really interested in this post. My main character atm is a bartender and always argue this with myself. Usually, I try to do the whole thing, putting a whole /me and backing it up with a one liner /do to continue. Then again, I do try to get as many orders at once as I can. Bit too shy to ask my customers if they'd just rather me doing quick /me 's and just get them their drink. "/me grabs a bottle of tequila and pours it into the shot glasses." And be over with it. I do all of my bartending interactions on /l and /melow . Thoughts?

1 hour ago, DianaDenor said:

Really interested in this post. My main character atm is a bartender and always argue this with myself. Usually, I try to do the whole thing, putting a whole /me and backing it up with a one liner /do to continue. Then again, I do try to get as many orders at once as I can. Bit too shy to ask my customers if they'd just rather me doing quick /me 's and just get them their drink. "/me grabs a bottle of tequila and pours it into the shot glasses." And be over with it. I do all of my bartending interactions on /l and /melow . Thoughts?

I think you're fine. The "rule" for long /me's is unspoken, and if you want to go by what writers think — you should simply be able to acknowledge how ready a person is to read a sophisticated line.

Your interaction can begin through a series for shorter lines, depicting how your character is behaving on the job. Once the person is "on the hook", as in waiting for you to get them the drink, that's where you can totally go into detail about how you're making that drink. I wish I had some screenshots left from that one person that did some amazing bartender roleplay — matter of fact, I'll go try to find them for you, and I feel like they followed that pattern.

Ultimately, your customers are waiting for a drink IC, but as players they came for roleplay. It doesn't seem wrong to provide them with such, and you're not a dispenser machine — you're a person roleplaying a character. You have equal right to express yourself through roleplay as anyone else in that environment.

3 hours ago, DianaDenor said:

Honestly?If you do it in /melow(s) then it really is not an issue, at least not in my book, you're most likely the "main" attraction at the bar, you're the reason people approached, they willingly made the decision to roleplay with you specifically. My post, whilst it may be difficult to read it between the lines upon rereading it, is about those who describe actions that have no effect or direct ties to the others around them, as the exaggerated /me in the original post gives as an example, someone describing drinking in so many words whilst crowded with people who they don't know, can be frustrating. The difference in your scenario is that people approached the bar with the intent to roleplay with you, most likely to order a drink. 

As for describing pouring a drink, I would most likely condense that as well, just due to personal preference, examples below.

* John Doe swings around, grabbing a bottle of tequila and a shot glass before turning back around. He uncaps the bottle, filling the glass, passing it to Jane Doe, returning the bottle afterwards.

* John Doe crouches down, opening the fridge, collecting a [INSERT BRAND] from it. He uncaps the beer then serves it to Jane Doe.

You could probably condense these even more, but that's how I'd do them.

Well, everyone's got a preference but that serial "action after action" roleplay seems too robotic for me. You don't need to specify that you're returning the bottle, and I'd rather you used that space to describe your character's touch when working the bar. They can be wiped out after a long shift, or they might be energetic just getting started, they might be in a mood, and so on.

My best interactions with bartenders and people working the bar when they had character. I don't think we gotta treat bartenders like drink dispensers, could honestly implement a bot to do those /me's like the car wash ones. ;c

(this is to address @Свето above)

Edited by yerro