Long /me's

Ketamine Kowboy

it’s fine in moderation much like everything. Multiple single line emotes in a row is annoying when you can put it into a single paragraph with some editing. Large paragraphs for single action emotes drolls the flow of any scene to a bit of a halt. 

like everything, it just takes a balance. On its own, long /me’s are benign.  

Personally, I don't mind the long /me's depending on the situation. 

If we are at a bar/club that's packed, I'm keeping it short and straight to the point.

If I'm roleplaying 1 on 1 with someone or a smaller scale of people, I'll do long /me's.

I think it is important to realize the players on this community come from different roleplay related backgrounds. Whereas most of us come from platforms like SA-MP and the like where rather short /me's and actions are the norm, others come from stricter text-based platforms that place a heavier focus on individual writing over pace. I do not think people who go into a lot of detail with their actions is a large issue although I fully understand it may look silly if it is just filler. I also understand it can be hard to read in a busy environment, but can only suggest the use of functions like /highlight in those.

TL;DR: Long /me's creative, filler bad.

• Upvote 2

Subjective.

Each and everyone on this server have their own taste of roleplay. Most of the people's emotes, normally, are a synopsis of the emotes they've seen across their roleplay experience. Don't judge others' roleplay and their way of wording. The emotes can be as long as they should be if you like to remain descriptive. Long emotes don't resemble a good roleplayer, short emotes don't resemble a bad roleplayer. It can heavily be the opposite.

However! There is, in fact, a huge difference between descriptive emotes and purple prose. Many people tend to mistake the latter as an elite type of roleplay, misconceiving the concept of emotes and hence you'd find them including speech therein. Honestly, it's annoying trend, you know you can ditch the quotes in your emote and type a normal sentence, right? That's not what emotes are for and it's not convenient to read to the slightest.

There is also a group of roleplayers I've experienced who intensely use the past tense in expressing their actions... it personally pisses me off so I'll use the "subjective" wildcard here. But really, eh... I know the game's supposed to be storytelling and such but it's absolutely pet peeves and diminishes the quality of the telltale. Nonetheless, even if you're stuck in the "/me would yada yada" fiasco, I'm in no place to judge you.

In conclusion, emotes can vary from short, long, descriptive and bad. A good practice is including direct actions, easy to read. Another good practice is to be descriptive as need be as long as it's an actual action and might include a consequence of how it affected what's surrounding you. Third-person comments are also viable and are actually not too bad to read. After all and as I said above, it's subjective and varies upon taste.

short /mes in the streets, long /mes in the sheets tbh

OT: It's all about where you are, what you're doing and who you're interacting with.

Adapting the length of your RP lines to fit the scene is how it should be done in my opinion. A fast paced situation can be completely disrupted by someone that feels that their character's eye color and words obtained from thesaurus.com are required. Thankfully I haven't seen it happen here but in another community there was someone that RPed a paramedic that enjoyed being as descriptive as possible. It just turned into frustration for everyone else on scene. You have everyone RPing around a hectic scene where someone is shot and dying while this one person is in their own world writing out paragraph after paragraph just to describe the process of setting up an IV in someone's arm. The entire scene just came to a standstill for a group of 10 to 15 players while this person typed something out and we all had to read it before we could continue.

Players should keep their audience and the situation in mind when deciding how long their /me lines should be. In the majority of cases, every detail should be relevant to the scene so the readers have an easier time figuring out how their character would react. There are many players here that enjoy that style of RP and they tend to surround themselves with others that RP the same way. It should just be a case of those on both sides of the argument meeting somewhere in the middle. 

• Upvote 2