Long /me's

Ketamine Kowboy

I personally prefer to do /me's whenever it's a 1v1 situation or around an extremely small group of players and the situation allows it. If it's in the heat of a moment and I gotta do something quickly, I just get straight to the point. But as a wise man once said

image.png.e4aae9688328526e4d94dc07ad569878.png

If you describe the wind and useless shit when shaking someones hand aka it takes 5 mins for you to write a /me, then I know you are a dirty man or female and I leave. People tend to think detailed /me's with useless information = good roleplayer.

edit: I actually left mid rp because it took the person 15 minutes to introduce themselves because of useless /me's, I cba to stand there. 

Edited by DanneBRE

There's nothing wrong with long /mes that detail what you're doing. /me is there to describe exactly that, so if you fill it up to the brim with 250 characters and it's all explaining what you're doing - that's cool.
If you want to use big words and be Einstein in here then you do you, just don't be mad when I ask you what the fuck you just emoted because I don't speak 1800s Fish and Chips type beat English fluently.
If you wanna be a poet just go write a book, you're wasting your time and energy tryharding on a roleplay server, where the majority of it's players consists of either foreigners (like me) who are too dumb to understand your emotes, or people who can't be fucked to read through what you emoted because they're too lazy to emote picking up their glass and drinking from it, they'd rather do /me drinks his whiskey.

The problem with SHORT emotes is that people sometimes have small brain moments and they hit enter before realizing they could've added something else to their emote, like looking around or facing someone. Then it becomes a clusterfuck on their part because it looks like this.

Pizza Spaghettini drinks from his glass.
Pizza Spaghettini notices Marcello.
Pizza Spaghettini pulls out his gun.
Pizza Spaghettini shoots.
Pizza Spaghettini scratches his balls once he's done.
Pizza Spaghettini looks over at Alfredo and Mario.
Pizza Spaghettini says: Clean this shit up, I'm getting some fucking khoffee.

instead of

Pizza Spaghettini sets the glass he had been drinking from on the counter and looks to the side, noticing Marcello. He decides to slide his Beretta92 out of his pants. blasting away upon flicking it's safety off.
Pizza Spaghettini looks at the corpse, snorting once as he scratches on his nutsack. He then brings his arm up with the gun in hand, gesturing towards Alfredo and Mario.

Six lines of RP versus four/five.

I dunno, just a quick thought.

Edit: In conclusion, don't be a tryharding smartass. As long as your emotes are clear, they can be as long as you want them to be.

Edited by hentai!

Depends on who I'm roleplaying with. As long as it's not at the expense of other people, let people roleplay how they want to roleplay.

I've never seen any of these wildly exaggerated emotes people like to use to make fun of what they perceive as purple prose. 

Depends on the scenario you're in. If you're being held at gunpoint which is usually a time constrained thing, typing out a paragraph about how you're shivering your timber usually isn't the best thing to do. Unless you're an insanely fast typer, which no one is. However, if you're in a more calm area such as a bar, or house - I think longer /me's are best.

Some people just enjoy creative writing, hence why they sprawl detail into a simple action.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, hentai! said:

Pizza Spaghettini drinks from his glass.
Pizza Spaghettini notices Marcello.
Pizza Spaghettini pulls out his gun.
Pizza Spaghettini shoots.
Pizza Spaghettini scratches his balls once he's done.
Pizza Spaghettini looks over at Alfredo and Mario.
Pizza Spaghettini says: Clean this shit up, I'm getting some fucking khoffee.

instead of

Pizza Spaghettini sets the glass he had been drinking from on the counter and looks to the side, noticing Marcello. He decides to slide his Beretta92 out of his pants. blasting away upon flicking it's safety off

Six lines of RP versus four/five.

I fully agree with this

Rant below

There will always be a time and place for long /me's, but I wouldn't count these as "long" whilst they're long technically, I mean emotes that drag on, and on, and, on, without any purpose.

You don't need to describe the fabric of the chair you're sitting down to in your /me, you don't need to describe EXACTLY to a tea how you sit down, it's not a wikihow tutorial, it's a /me

Basic actions that can't be misunderstood, such as sitting down, lighting up a cigarette, drinking or eating don't need 1 /me and 3 /do's explaining how you're doing it.

Furthermore, if you want to do unnecessarily detailed roleplay? If you do it one on one, or with a small group of friends like people have stated in this thread, go ahead, I might not like it personally, but each to their own.

I just dislike it when people do it in a public setting, such as a bar or club.

Edited by Свето