Adding rape to the list of banned offensive roleplay

Bigbadmonkey

Just now, LICE said:

But why would you want to explore it in the first place? That's my question. There are plenty of other traumas to have a character "recover" from. Why would you wish to write out the effects and consequences of something so terrible that some people have gone through? It's mockery, from my point of view. It's akin to playing a character with schizophrenia and making them a whacky character that sometimes hears voices that say funny things for comic relief. That's not how schizophrenia works or behaves and it's incredibly disrespectful to make a poor mockery of something that ruins a life like that, don't you think? Not that I think you'll have many schizophrenics playing GTAW, but what about rape survivors who see you making a poor attempt at re-creating something you'll never experience personally? Insulting, no? 

Assuming this is a response to me because so far I'm the only person who mentioned recovery, but this reads so weird, almost as if you didn't read what I said. I'm not roleplaying trauma I haven't gone through, but even if I did, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you depict it respectfully. That's just bad roleplay and a whole other issue that can be handled through quality reports.

Not to mention most people on the server are roleplaying cultures, disorders, issues, traumas, addictions they've never had contact with IRL. The point of roleplay is creating a character that isn't you; if you make it an offensive stereotype, that's on you, not the server rules.

• Upvote 2

My general statement on it aligns with Reko and their reply. 

Personally never liked RP being policed harshly but can agree (with the majority) the act itself being played/acted out and potentially glorified is no bueno.

If the hard R is allowed to stay at the very least it should be mandatory "fade to black", no exceptions. 

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Thanks 1

I'm not too fond of people equating the violence you can see in the base game without RP to the perverted sexual violence this rp is, it's a bit disingenuous. As Lice said there are other avenues of trauma you can experience that aren't as damaging to the players OOC.

For the people saying they never experienced or heard of rape IC, I've been on GTA:W for two months and have heard of three accounts of such happening on my character. One just the other day, in fact. I also love rping deep and meaningful conversations with people, so I get dumped alot of information like this to me IC.

Edited by Bigbadmonkey
6 minutes ago, reko said:

Assuming this is a response to me because so far I'm the only person who mentioned recovery, but this reads so weird, almost as if you didn't read what I said. I'm not roleplaying trauma I haven't gone through, but even if I did, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you depict it respectfully. That's just bad roleplay and a whole other issue that can be handled through quality reports.

Not to mention most people on the server are roleplaying cultures, disorders, issues, traumas, addictions they've never had contact with IRL. The point of roleplay is creating a character that isn't you; if you make it an offensive stereotype, that's on you, not the server rules.

I mean I've been on this server maybe two months now and I've already been exposed to a potential rape scene where -I- would have been the victim and I sure as heck wasn't asked for permission before it all started going down. There's a line you need to draw somewhere between roleplaying things that aren't things you've experienced IRL. I don't want to see someone being eaten alive or hear about how someone ate someone alive, the same as I don't want to have to have my character to be raped or even be forced into helping someone recover from rape. I'd rather play this game as a fun RP sim, not be subjected to helping pretend characters deal with mockeries of issues I myself may have faced. You simply can't do rape RP justice - you CANNOT rp it realistically, because unless you've had it happen to you IRL you truly, truly have no idea what it does to a person.

Edited by LICE
6 minutes ago, zaXer. said:

Everyone in this community has witnessed murder.

I got over 4k playing hours here and never witnessed a rape or any roleplay around it (which might not be the case for eveyrone, but murders are witnessed daily).

I can have a trauma triggered by seeing a person get run over by a car.

So why not ban all sorts of roleplay so nobody gets triggered a trauma?

There's already a lot of limitations, the rules are all in your favor and allow you to pull out of the roleplay at any time, so what's the problem?

Yeah because these are two equally comparable things when it comes to RP. It's not like a car crash or murder can be RPed in much less graphic detail than r*pe or anything, and in the case of murder can simply be someone shooting someone which yo, once again, rather cartoonish on GTA, but the act of violating another person whether it's FtB or not, isn't really doable in a GTA/video gamely cartoonish style, nor are the themes brought up when discussing it or hearing about it. 

So to hit ur anecdote of "I ain't seen it" with an anecdote of "I have" I can say that it's a lot more uncomfortable to hear 2nd hand about that incident than seeing someone get a few pixels to the dome. One is video game violence, the other is the act of purposefully leaving someone utterly violated against their will and having to remember it for the rest of their life, which is a bit more troublesome to even see or hear about 2nd hand let alone engage in.

11 minutes ago, zaXer. said:

Aftermath? You read on the news all the time about people raped, etc, so what the hell are you even talking about

I am disgusted of murders. Please ban murdering and any sort of violence!!!!!!11!

This is my only concern.  Where do we draw the line with censoring?  Should we also restrict players from portraying mental illness, or RPing murders or a long list of other traumatic things?  All because some people find it offensive?  

As an actual RL survivor of rape, it's never crossed my mind to push for a ban of this type of RP.  If I deem a certain type of RP as inappropriate, I simply steer clear of it.

The arguments many of you have made for banning rape RP can be applied to nearly every other type of criminal RP and beyond.  Where do we stop with the censoring?

Ban it absolutely.

We don’t need a repeat of the closeted pedophiles we dealt with this summer. There is no logical reason you would need to RP rape and it should be banned. 

Anybody who’d think “Oh you know what would be fun RP? If we raped someone!” Is either too immature for the community or fucked in the head. 

• Applaud 1