Remove nametags

Cici

19 minutes ago, Davis said:

Problem is even with ID numbers, what difference or immersion does that bring over the name-tag? It's still a block of text/numbers over a characters head. I just think this is an unnecessary change. Don't fix, what ain't broken.

My original post suggested we just get rid of it all, completely.  What I suggested here, in this case, was a compromise.

EDIT - It'd still force people to depend on their ability to recognize people, like in real life.

Sometimes I meet a guy, don't see him for 3 years and forget what he looks like, or his look has changed over the course of however long.  If there was a nametag floating above his head, maybe I'd remember him lol.  Life don't work like that though, sadly.  I mistake people for friends or family sometimes, because they look like folks I know.  All that confusion will bring, is roleplay.  People can say "Oops, mistook you for someone else, sorry."  They might make a friend that way, even.  There is no denying that this suggestion makes roleplay more immersive in a text based setting.

While I think the idea comes from the right place, it's a no from me. Maltese did a good job highlighting some negative details. And it's not that the idea is totally bad, it's definitely got some benefits. But I think the fact it will make it extremely hard for players to report each other, and for admins to get to the bottom of who did what, outweighs the realism factor it could bring. 

Really?  I'm surprised.  I thought you were one of those guys that wanted hard body realism, you pushed for the CK wars.  Do you really think it'd be that much harder to report a player without a nametag?  What's wrong with context?  If people simply invested a minute of their time to understand that names would still be there, this whole debunked idea that it'd be EXTREMELY HARD to report people would be gone.  S'aight though.

And for those of you suggesting OOC masks be brought back, that system was literally put in place to allow people to avoid role-play situations. There is zero benefit to them and they make no sense, want to hide your identity? Go put a real mask on.

Agreed.  But there is no denying people can break rules even with a mask or a MASKID.  All I have to do is put a mask on and snipe you from a distance, because I dislike you OOCly.  Or because you killed me, and I want to revenge kill you..  I'd get away with it 100% of the time, because clearly admins don't want to do a little work and check the death logs.  Would I have the ammo to do that with this suggestion implemented?

Thanks for your input anyhow, Davis.  'Preciate it.

Edited by Cici

I am interested to see the outcome of removing nametags but I am not supporting it. I agree with many points mentioned above from other people against the idea. I just think it will create lots of trouble for little in return and I don't care about how unrealistic it is to have text above everyone's head because I believe it reaches the limits of the realism/fun balance.

What I would prefer instead is to reduce the nametag view distance a lot and also to size them down. The latter is probably not possible yet. About the view distance, if you are uncertain about someone's identity you'd then have to go really close (2,5m?) to them to recognize them which is still a good adjustment in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, Cici said:

My original post suggested we just get rid of it all, completely.  What I suggested here, in this case, was a compromise.

EDIT - It'd still force people to depend on their ability to recognize people, like in real life.

Sometimes I meet a guy, don't see him for 3 years and forget what he looks like, or his look has changed over the course of however long.  If there was a nametag floating above his head, maybe I'd remember him lol.  Life don't work like that though, sadly.  I mistake people for friends or family sometimes, because they look like folks I know.  All that confusion will bring, is roleplay.  People can say "Oops, mistook you for someone else, sorry."  They might make a friend that way, even.  There is no denying that this suggestion makes roleplay more immersive in a text based setting.

Really?  I'm surprised.  I thought you were one of those guys that wanted hard body realism, you pushed for the CK wars.  Do you really think it'd be that much harder to report a player without a nametag?  What's wrong with context?  If people simply invested a minute of their time to understand that names would still be there, this whole debunked idea that it'd be EXTREMELY HARD to report people would be gone.  S'aight though.

Agreed.  But there is no denying people can break rules even with a mask or a MASKID.  All I have to do is put a mask on and snipe you from a distance, because I dislike you OOCly.  Or because you killed me, and I want to revenge kill you..  I'd get away with it 100% of the time, because clearly admins don't want to do a little work and check the death logs.  Would I have the ammo to do that with this suggestion implemented?

Thanks for your input anyhow, Davis.  'Preciate it.

I'm not sure what your last paragraph is supposed to prove. My point is the  IC mask at least makes it a role-play element, not an OOC one? And if you think the admin's don't check death logs or we're too lazy to, that's your problem and you're just poorly informed. In fact we do a lot of work, you know trying to fix actual broken systems.

And I'm not sure how anybody can say you can recognize people in this game just like in real life, we're three dimensional graphic poly-models in this game lol. While on pen and paper this idea might sound good, the actual application would be a disaster, our avatars or whatever you want to call them already all look hellishly similar to each other because the GTA character creation is quiet poor, it's more about clothing items. Then we get into things like people getting reported because they killed somebody who they thought was someone else, and as an admin we're cross between what's fair and what's realistic. 

And all this will do is move people from using name-tags to MG, to taking SS's of people for later comparison. And yeah, reporting people via screenshots is an inefficient system, not that it can't be done, but it'd take us much longer to process reports in-game or on the forums. What happens when people start using the surgery place to change facial features and what not?

• Applaud 1

I'm pretty positive I wasn't trying to prove anything, I was stating that people can still break the rules with their masks too.  having an OOC mask isn't going to make people not break the rules.  It can still be difficult to identify a masked person regardless, couldn't it?  When a masked guy says something, is it shown in the context?  Yes.  When a person speaks, is it shown in the context?  Yes.  So it'd be preposterous to argue that it can't be done because mask ID's get reported all the time.  Just because there isn't a nametag floating above their head doesn't mean they can't be identified.

To say that you can't learn to recognize people in a game would be a cop out.  It'd be refusing to give it a chance, but we could agree to disagree here.

As far as the facial reconstructive place goes, we should hike up the price to an extremely expensive fee, pretty much what reconstructive surgery would cost, today, or file it down to a more economy based price.  People who will RP getting their face changed and not RP the actual injury and cost of facial reconstructive surgery are powergaming.  They're doing something humanly impossible, recovering a day after a facial reconstructive surgery.  I get that this is a game but the game can only become more immersive if we apply these types of things and see where it goes.

Even if this doesn't get implemented, I'd like to see it at least tried one day, and if it doesn't work out, just go back to nametags.  Give it a legitimate, fair 30 days and see where it goes.  I wouldn't recommend it right now if it's so widely disapproved by the server but I do see a few folk who agree with this.  Never hurts to try sometimes.

Anyway, really appreciate everyone's input, I'm gonna go ahead and make this my last comment and I'm gonna leave this discussion to to the rest of y'all.

Thanks again!

Just to say it. I would be 100% for this. As @Riva would confirm... We were going to force members of Crazy Vatos to use GTA Online made characters only and no peds. But then after messing around with the customization system, I realized that there is a limit to how different you can make your face. There's a restriction put in by R* that makes it so that you can't go into too much detail past the parents you choose.

I don't think this would be as much of a problem right now (due to small player base) if the name tags were removed. But in the future, it would be. In my honest opinion.

Edited by Portz
1 hour ago, BranHUN said:

/support

Although we seriously need some more customization options if the server population may grow. But I think that this might be something that the administration can take as a future goal for the improvement of the server.

R* issue until mod support is added.