Unecessary Escalation of Trafic Stop

Glunar

Let me give my feedback and opinion since my character is a FLD Supervisor under the GC. The fact here is, this is 100% all your character's fault. Considering you did not inform them that you had a firearm on you as they approached, that mistake falls on you, since you obtained all 3 licenses you should have known the regulations. Again this is your character's own fault, you agreed and signed to the regulations and what would happen if you didn't follow them. No escalation here other than you screwing up. At this point I will say that you weren't familiar with the regulations that you have decided to agree and sign on. Simple as that. You do realize that your character's attitude also affects the out come, and from the chat I see you saying them to be quick. This will irritate my character big time. So as you see this is all IC. Your mistake, your fault, and your consequences. Simple as that. 

In my opinion you should’ve received a warning. Again, my opinion.

On another note, I have seen some issues of “robotic” police rp in PD. Almost everyone is great but there are a couple of people who could tone it down. Things like ticketing for minor offenses, etc.

Again, this is my opinion.

• Upvote 3

Whereas this is a completely IC situation; here is my opinion about the topic:

It's harsh, well harsh and represents a bit of robotic roleplay but then again to each their own and generally it's bad to comment or judge someone's RP. But since LEO RP impacts the whole playerbase, maybe LEO RP'ers should be encouraged and pushed more to have a rather more realistic approach? again, just my opinion

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Bauer said:

In my opinion you should’ve received a warning. Again, my opinion.

On another note, I have seen some issues of “robotic” police rp in PD. Almost everyone is great but there are a couple of people who could tone it down. Things like ticketing for minor offenses, etc.

Again, this is my opinion.

So Officers can't roleplay being irritated with someone and go the full length of the law? My character will be the chilliest cop sometimes, but if he's irritated by your actions he will go all out on you. Me personally I would have issued him a SHAFT code violation as well in this scenario. You are not putting the puzzle pieces all together. Reckless driving, not informing an Officer of being armed, plus using the old "be quick/hurry up" remarks. That will be enough to trigger many characters. He lost his licenses and he can re-apply later on again, that will be decided by FLD when. This mentality of when a cop acts the full extent of the law being called robocop is really irritating to say the least.

Edited by RoamPT
Just now, Glunar said:

The point of this discussion is to point out robocop behaviour. I'm not trying to proove that I'm innocent.

So the point of this "discussion" is to start a "witch hunt" for "robocop behaviour" when you state that it is your character's fault and admit to it.

It's up to the character's discretion if they wish to be lenient or not. Some don't care. Some will haul you off to jail.

It heavily depends.

But at the end of the day, it's a gun. Traffic stops are the most dangerous encounters one can have while working as Law Enforcement. They show people videos at the academy, and boy oh boy, they're not nice to see, but it's the harsh reality that a bad guy with a gun can kill you.

You had three licenses. A PF, a CCW and a Guard Card. Each and every one of these licenses have defined criterias, rules and regulations, all of which you have to acknowledge prior to applying for them. Crying "robocop" after violating all three just isn't the way to go. You knew. Your character knew. In case you didn't — it was your and your character's job to know.

Just now, RoamPT said:

So Officers can't roleplay being irritated with someone and go the full length of the law? My character will be the chilliest cop sometimes, but if he's irritated by your actions he will go all out on you. Me personally I would have issued him a SHAFT code violation as well in this scenario. You are not putting the puzzle pieces all together. Reckless driving, not informing an Officer of being armed, plus using the old "be quick/hurry up" remarks. That will be enough to trigger many characters. He lost his licenses and he can re-apply later on again, that will be decided by FLD when. This mentality of when a cop acts the full extent of the law being called robocop is really irritating to say the least.

I never said cops can’t rp being irritated. I’m just saying if the guy is nice there’s no need to mess with the guy. If someone makes your character mad to the point you throw the book at them? Go ahead.

I fail to see any issue here.

Let's take an example out of real life here

Here we have a traffic stop involving a simple turn single violation. This eventually esculated to the point of a lawsuit filed in court for violation of the couple's constitutional rights, it was a turn signal violation.

If you go down this rabbit hole, you'll notice a trend in traffic stops, cops don't really care too much about traffic violations, they'll pull someone over at first for said violation, but they're looking for other misdemeanors or criminal offenses first and foremost. Why? Because American policing is a complicated, hot-buttoned issue, and it also depends on results. More tickets and arrests looks good.

Why did I bring that example up?

It's perfectly reasonable to pull someone over for RECKLESS driving, an issue in LS that has killed and maimed thousands of people due to horrible drivers not caring about others lives while on the road, so thats an IC issue. Next up you're a guard with a loaded, legal firearm, that cop is gonna test you on that knowledge, so combined with the fact that you failed to drive safely, you also don't fully understand the laws of the SHAFT code, and could, in the cops mind, recklessly endanger the public's life by carrying a legal firearm that you may not use responsibly.

In my eyes, this is a perfectly valid use of escalation on the cop's part from an OOC perspective. From an IC perspective? Kinda scummy, but that's not an OOC issue. You got played, should've driven safely.

• Upvote 1
  • Bombie locked this topic