Drug Market Revamp

afrosamurai

Just now, DLimit said:

Then, report them for powergaming.

I won't, mainly because it's not my place to do so. I'm not there to enforce the roleplay, and you can't prove it in a report. Nor is it my plan to go around and backseat moderate roleplayers, compiling evidence and filing a form on the forums isn't my idea of having a good time. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I won't, mainly because it's not my place to do so. I'm not there to enforce the roleplay, and you can't prove it in a report. Nor is it my plan to go around and backseat moderate roleplayers, compiling evidence and filing a form on the forums isn't my idea of having a good time. 

It's not in your place, as a player, to file reports to the admins? Who'll be filing the reports? The admins, themselves?

If you are not willing to take the initiative, then you have no right to complain, then. You made the claim as-if you are witnessing people taking narcotics without RPing them, properly, but then fail to take a small screenshot and write a small paragraph to combat against an issue that you seem to feel strongly about. You are not enforcing roleplay, you are reporting it.

You could even P.M. the person and ask them to R.P. the effects of the substance, more effectively, as-well. Guide them.

How do people expect the quality of the server to increase if we aren't maintaining the standards of the server?

Your choice. But, it doesn't make any sense.

Edited by DLimit
Just now, DLimit said:

It's not in your place, as a player, to file reports to the admins? Who'll be filing the reports? The admins, themselves?

If you are not willing to take the initiative, then you have no right to complain, then. You made the claim as-if you are witnessing people taking narcotics without RPing them, properly, but then fail to take a small screenshot and write a small paragraph to combat against an issue that you seem to feel strongly about.

Your choice. But, it doesn't make any sense.

It's not a matter of taking the initiative, I am in no capacity to file that kind of reports. The burden of proof is on the reporting party, and without being able to spectate people there's no way to provide proof that isn't just circumstantial. Despite that it's still a very reasonable assumption based on observations. A lot of people who go on hits and the like are generally the people who depend on drug induced buffs. These are also the people who never include adduction, or aspects of drug effects into their roleplay - and never portray it. Other people who take drugs recreationally for a brief roleplay interaction also fall into that category. Heroin, and methamphetamine aren't recreational drugs. It's more of a consistency issue, in that people often don't stick to their roleplay. But you can't prove it. It's also not something that's enforced, or at least I've not seen it enforced by staff. Some factions do however enforce things internally, if somebody isn't roleplaying their drugs right I can simply talk to them. Does this take away my right to complain? I don't think it does. 

The problem is if we're asking for the long-term effects of addiction. I'm not going to sit there policing on the long term whether or not people are realistically portraying the effects of addiction in their own RP which I'm not privy to, and to which I don't have all of the information. Some of these long-term drug addiction effects can be a lot more subtle than you might think to begin with, and subject to other variables.

Things like Methampetamine have a wide range of interpretations. Is it Crystal Meth? Is it Speed? They're the same substance, but these things have different effects, different levels of addiction, and one is a lot quicker to turn you into a scabby-faced ghoul than the other (which many people with normal lives consume in big quantities), just to name an example.

what is this relentless drivel about this being strictly an IC issue?

it's an IC issue as much as there only being five-hundred people in the city is an IC issue, or trailers in ugly backwaters costing £250k is an IC issue.

i don't know if the OP's suggestion works, but developers need to think about how to give drug distribution networks a profitability on a level at least somewhat similar to what they generate in real life. this server does more to encourage people to go fishing than it does to encourage people to sell drugs - it's insane and totally at odds with the types of roleplay a GTA server should be incentivising. 

what we really don't need is for total morons who don't even roleplay in this area and haven't given the issue five seconds thought to tell everybody that it's an IC issue when it's obviously not. bore off with this unhelpful shit.

Hello everyone,

I want to thank you all for giving your input and remaining civil. It's refreshing to see civil discussion take place. One thing I'd like to reiterate is that this topic is more about hard drugs like meth and heroin which do not see as much use. 

More so, I am still seeing people banking on this hope that we suddenly see people roleplay characters with drug addictions to meet the demand. I do not think this is a realistic mindset as it clearly has not taken place here or in any other serious RP community. 

As for the issue with the market being saturated with weed? This will last for a bit even after this but the problem will eventually go away:

image.png.942dba49efcf47db91105c63441c2833.png

It's definitely more than just an IC issue regarding hard drugs.

Not many people want their characters to be dependent on such hard drugs, and that's fair enough. These drugs consume people's lives and are a lot less 'casual' than dropping a tab of acid every now and then or smoking weed, which people are usually fine with roleplaying their character's doing. Obviously in real life there's a LARGE population of addicts that are readily available to sell drugs to, Doesn't really correlate well in game where people just drive their sports cars to bar after bar. I think there needs to be a change in the addiction system (alcohol should also be an addictive substance that effects your character, as well as nicotine). Right now it just doesn't really do anything if you're not consuming MASSIVE amounts of drugs.

Point is, people buy drugs to sell drugs, it's not exactly common to find users for things outside of coke/weed/lsd/shrooms, but the market circulates constantly with little end use. I'm sure there's a lot of stash houses with a lot of drugs just left sitting, since there's no real market for the hard drugs, ultimately making them useless for people to deal in. 

As for the weed problem? If they implemented some sort of potency script where weed directly bought from suppliers was the MOST potent, then player grown weed can only reach a certain "potency", it might help out the problem but I doubt it. The issue will only get worse until weed will be sold at sub 100 bucks a gram on the street. Seeds should have never been something that could be sold so easily imo.

• Upvote 3

Given Nervous has corrected the weed script, it will correct itself over about a years time, but I believe the only way to truly fix the oversaturation of that market is a complete and total reset of all weed/weed seeds, and if that were to happen; it would need to happen with the long promised drug revamp, which I have heard nothing about since it was announced. I know the server has many capable developers and hope that we receive an update on the progress of this revamp.

• Upvote 3
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic