Drug Market Revamp

afrosamurai

5 minutes ago, Pathway said:

I even heard of street-gang factions where people are IC-ly punished for drug use, which is just retarded tbh.

It's no myth either which is the gayest part, it happens.

Why would you give your homeboy a DP ic because he uses? Generally it's only the more organized gangs that will discipline their members if they get strung out. Mind you, that also only happens when the drug use becomes a problem.

54 minutes ago, Pathway said:

Vulcar summed it up perfectly man I can name entire factions were the hardest drug they use is weed, I garuntee majority of the replies here have never rped hard drugs before on any of their characters. Most factions have the mindset of not buying from others for personal use since they have their own drugs they need to sell, when irl a lot of criminals are drug-addicts.

I even heard of street-gang factions where people are IC-ly punished for drug use, which is just retarded tbh.

The thing is, in real life kilograms are consumed every week, in order to emulate that we would need every single player in the server including cop players to buy some grams from all factions daily so drugs could actually flow which is not realistic to happen.

It is not a lazy fix, is just a way to create a  more relaistic drug economy in an unrealistic citizen population area. This could actually encourage more hood roleplay done properly instead of people hanging out in the street without any purpose. And cops could ofc try to find the spots IC and bust people selling. So there would be an alternative for drug dealers to actually bank from this instead of farming legal jobs.

I think it's very clear that a drug grams dealer scripted job would help the street gang players and the drugs would actually flow and more kilograms could be sold each month.

1 minute ago, ElDiablo said:

The thing is, in real life kilograms are consumed every week, in order to emulate that we would need every single player in the server including cop players to buy some grams from all factions daily so drugs could actually flow which is not realistic to happen.

It is not a lazy fix, is just a way to create a  more relaistic drug economy in an unrealistic citizen population area. This could actually encourage more hood roleplay done properly instead of people hanging out in the street without any purpose. And cops could ofc try to find the spots IC and bust people selling. So there would be an alternative for drug dealers to actually bank from this instead of farming legal jobs.

I think it's very clear that a drug grams dealer scripted job would help the street gang players and the drugs would actually flow and more kilograms could be sold each month.

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the following:
1. If you say you don't see the very obvious downsides to this then you're lying, and don't say "report it" either.
2. How is this rp? It will just be a script job, but atleast at a 24/7 u actually rp with real people, this will just be a glorified money spawner. You can say it will have a roleplay timer, but what the fuck are you gonna be roleplaying? It's NPC'ed, are you suggesting people just do /me sells to the customer. That sounds very ass.
3. What will be done to stop the problem of people only rping indoors for the payment? Wont this limit creativity? 

If good responses are made to those points then this should be added, but otherwise It'll be worse than the current system imo. The way I see it the problem seems to be nobody is consuming the drugs, but actual players aren't consuming it with this "fix" so there's no actual RP'ed consumption. This doesn't seem like a replacement or a fix for the current problem, it seems like a shitty bandaid that will fall off and create 100 new problems.

This is an IC issue.

It's a clear cut case of supply vs demand. There is a high supply and a low demand, which means prices are low.  This means the system is working perfectly and there is nothing wrong with that, in fact, there is everything right with it.

The solution to your problem is for criminal gangs who control the flow of drugs to reduce the supply or ensure that those selling do so at a rate they dictate rather than continually undercutting each other to a lower price.

So, how do crime gangs RL ensure their prices remain at the levels they want, rather than dropping?

They find out who are the rogue sellers in their area and they sit them down and make them an offer they can't refuse & either allow them to continue selling under their rules and taking a cut, or they make sure they stop selling entirely (one way or another).

25 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

This is an IC issue.

It's a clear cut case of supply vs demand. There is a high supply and a low demand, which means prices are low.  This means the system is working perfectly and there is nothing wrong with that, in fact, there is everything right with it.

The solution to your problem is for criminal gangs who control the flow of drugs to reduce the supply or ensure that those selling do so at a rate they dictate rather than continually undercutting each other to a lower price.

So, how do crime gangs RL ensure their prices remain at the levels they want, rather than dropping?

They find out who are the rogue sellers in their area and they sit them down and make them an offer they can't refuse & either allow them to continue selling under their rules and taking a cut, or they make sure they stop selling entirely (one way or another).

There is no demand, nobody uses heroin or meth, the drugs are sold for dirt cheap too, so it's not a supply vs demand issue unless you're talking about weed market which isn't what the topic is trying to rectify.

Edited by Certified Lover Boy Jola

By definition, no demand falls perfectly into the supply vs demand model.

Though I doubt there is zero demand. I've RP'd many times with characters looking for heroin but simply unable to find anyone selling it. Sellers just aren't always finding their market.

Heroin is 'dirt cheap', most drugs are low priced. There is nothing wrong with that.

Edit: The market is flooded with an over abundance of drugs and not enough consumers (to keep prices high) - that's the issue you should be looking at fixing, and that's an IC issue.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
1 minute ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

By definition, no demand falls perfectly into the supply vs demand model.

Though I doubt there is zero demand. I've RP'd many times with characters looking for heroin but simply unable to find anyone selling it. Sellers just aren't always finding their market.

Heroin is 'dirt cheap', most drugs are low priced. There is nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, that's the point. In real life heroin and meth are at high demands because people get high from and are addicted to them, this is a game where the same factors are not in effect, there isn't zero demand, its just that the demand is at an unrealistically low rate because most people roleplay near perfect characters. You can't factor a basic supply and demand method into drug use, it's not like chocolate that somebody can live without, most heroin addicts would give there life up to catch a high so they wouldn't be hard to find on this game you can just log off or not roleplay it.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Certified Lover Boy Jola said:

You can't factor a basic supply and demand method into drug use, it's not like chocolate that somebody can live without, most heroin addicts would give there life up to catch a high so they wouldn't be hard to find on this game you can just log off or not roleplay it.

There is two different issues here.

Firstly of course you can apply supply/demand to drug use. All's an addicted person does is to create more demand for whatever drug is is they are addicted too.

The second issue is how addiction is mirrored in GTA:W - That's a mechanical issue that I'd agree needs addressing - if i'm taking drugs, I should be getting addicted - the addiction number just seems to bounce between 1 & 0 and currently does nothing? perhaps that's something that needs work.

However, back to the issue of drug prices and there being no market - that's entirely an IC issue - there are far too many people selling drugs for their demand - so my belief is that it's up to the criminal world to accept that or to do something about it. 

i.e. Why aren't the mob/whoever going out, torching other peoples drug labs / weed gardens and removing the opposition? How often does that actually happen?

I respectfully have to disagree with @Pathway and @Vulcar. Your counter solution(s) to the issue is basically banking on  an intangible hope that people will suddenly become better role-players or there will be enough of an influx of characters who have drug addiction.  

In a perfect world? Your suggested solutions would be just right. However we don't live in a perfect world and therefore we have to make do with certain adjustments for the sake of game design. In addition, if this was an actual solution? This problem would've solved itself long ago on here and every other serious roleplay server but it hasn't. 

For an example implementation  of it being possible indoors? Let's scrap that completely. It would make it very boring and undoubtedly not provide as much content as it being on the outside world where player interactions are guaranteed to occur. 

edit: In regards to this not being IC. This is still an IC method to sell drugs. This should be something that is strictly roleplayed and not something like /me reads a book like in prison. 

Edited by changooman
59 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

This is an IC issue.

I mostly disagree with your reply. It is somewhat of an IC issue as the market is not there because most people do not RP having drug addictions enough.  

Are there many or too many drug suppliers? Perhaps. However, this is supposed to be a realistic roleplay server. So if the market isn't there like it is in reality due to players not filling in the demand? Provide other means to fill that gap. 

Should this proposed solution completely solve the problem? As in stifle IC sales to other players completely? No. This should be in support of that and no means a one in all solution. 

Edited by changooman
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic