Player Reports - Consider a different approach

The OG Juicebox

First of all, I understand the staff here are volunteers and I also understand that you are players as well and want to enjoy yourselves. Do not take anything I say as a jab or insult, as I do not intend to come off that way. I speak from years of experience in forum moderation with all volunteer staff members and I only mean to try and suggest helpful ways to improve the process.

Now that we have that out of the way 😁 it's a pretty simple suggestion list. The player reports section is kind of crazy. You have reports that have been on there for weeks without a handling admin, reports that get to 10+ responses in a matter of minutes resulting in a complete mess for an Admin to try and wade through, reports that Admins forgot about (again, I understand... volunteer work, real life, etc. I GET IT lol) and various other issues. So, here we go.

• Reorganize the player reports section just like the Ban Appeals section (Keep reports public though) https://imgur.com/3O91U8q
    • Have a general section at the bottom where reports are posted, but when a handling admin takes the report, they move it into their own section. Each Admin's section will have a pending / concluded report section. This will help to keep a certain accountability when handling reports. It's easier to keep track of what reports you have to handle, especially when the current reports section can get quite hectic. Management can then peruse the sections at their leisure and see more clearly when reports have or have not been handled after a certain amount of time. Players can also find their reports easier after knowing which Admin took the report. Again I understand this is a volunteer job for you guys and gals, but when applying for staff I'm sure there is some degree of accountability required right?
  • Start being more strict with warning people for back and forth arguments
    • There is a precedent here. Nervous says directly, "Please do not keep posting and going back and forth. Post what you have to say and let the other person respond, then allow the administrator to ask questions." This implies that there should be a 1 to 1 rule where the reporting party initiates a report with one post and then the reported party gets one post to respond. After that, they should wait for an Admin to continue posting. Exceptions can be made of course if both parties come to a reasonable agreement after the initial posts. If they go back and forth in an argumentative manner, appropriate warnings should always be issued until people get the point.

As I said, this is not a dig on Admin activity or lack thereof. This is a reasonable solution to help organize the player reports section to benefit both the staff team (organization, accountability, not having to go through a mess of a report with 10+ responses) and the players (timely report handling). This is my two cents after many years heading up a forum moderation team for a gaming community. This is something I did and it worked. Would it work here? I don't know. I wanted to at least try to suggest a different and more efficient direction. Thank you!

Edited by The OG Juicebox
  • 4 weeks later...

I came here to post a similar suggestion. What grinds my gears is that admins don't take the reports based on the date, I get it that there are occasional jumps in line but not like this. Some reports are there for a month and others get handled within days. It is unfair to others. Volunteer or not, there is a basic human decency to things.

• 3 weeks later...

Big support from me. It'd be great for reports to get handled instead of it being filled with shit in a mere span of thirty minutes. If I was staff and saw a report with 15 plus replies that span essay-long reponses I'd ignore it too. 1+

Private reports are cringe though. Keep them public.

• Wuhtah locked this topic