What's the economy like?

ThomasNoman

39 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

In a capitalist market, people are free to sell at whatever prices they like.

If people can sell items for RL prices and are able to afford to do so without taking a huge loss to their bank balance, then that is a problem which needs to be fixed by Admins. As players, we've no power to change that.

As for houses - pretty much every house in the game is underpriced.

The median prices for a house in Los Angeles county is > 600k. In the city, it's far higher when you look at wealthier districts, some houses costing into the many millions.

I've been told to report businesses selling products for real life prices, so that tells me they aren't free to sell at real life prices whether you state capitalism or not. It's a matter of rule breaking, not capitalism. The market was designed to sell products that fit our economy, which consists of $500+ an hour paychecks and $200,000 starting cash. Players have all the power to change it because it's against the rules. Simply following the rules would change the outcome. Also report businesses who aren't following this. Most of the power lies in the player's hands to ensure this isn't so confusing.

We're based off of LA, but saying we should have house prices comparable? Kind of a stretch. Our economy is not based off of LA, our laws are not entirely based off of LA (Brett has said this as well), and so on and so forth. We have an ever changing economy, but one constant remains in that we don't have a real life economy and product pricing and other associated costs should reflect that.

The initial author is right : prices must be adapted to the economy. Business owners not doing it aren't properly following our economy continuity and it's their mistake.

Edited by Juicebox

The reality is, in some places the market might be 10:1, in others it's 1:1 and in others, it's far less than 1:1.

We're not just talking player businesses here, we're talking the economy as a whole.

Just looking at consistency in the script pricing is difficult:

• A bottle of water can be bought from a furniture item for a very similar price to RL. (1:1)
  • All houses are underpriced to be even 1:1, let alone 1:10.
  • Car prices are all over the place - some are close to 1:10, some are far closer to 1:1, some I think, are less than RL.
  • A full set of clothes, accessories and decals costs $100 - that's far less than you'd pay RL.

Player wealth is unrealistic, Children are handed 200k, welfare in a US state is $500 / hour, and a job at LTD is 4k / hour.

Now, I understand there are some very good reasons why perhaps script prices were set to the level they were. That doesn't mean however they shouldn't be adjusted, if the purpose of such a discussion is to fix the economy rather than just quote server rules which i'm unsure are in anyway helpful to the discussion of 'What's the economy like'?

21 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

If the purpose of such a discussion is to fix the economy rather than just quote server rules which i'm unsure are in anyway helpful to the discussion of 'What's the economy like'?

Read again, please. To quote OP's original question, which was not to suggest fixing anything by the way:

On 11/12/2020 at 9:34 PM, ThomasNoman said:

This is not a suggestion or criticism thread to the current economy, but I'm asking "what's the economy like?"

Even after 150 hours on here, with one character as a business owner, I don't even know how to RP economy properly. What is considered expensive and not? And do we RP the cost of items to the game economy or real life world? I've seen a store roleplaying a bottle of water is $5 while some other stores would say $50.

Is the economy actually divided by 10 compared to real life or what?

What I linked are exactly the answers to his questions as a business owner and how to portray product pricing in our economy versus the real world. It's actually 100% helpful as it addresses his original questions before the thread was taken off topic.

Edited by Juicebox
  • Upvote 1

I understand what you are saying but the point is prices as hugely different in their RL to IG ratios. Additionally, it's perpetuated by script items not following the rules you linked.

Despite what maybe stated, there isn't a consistent 1:10 ratio when it comes to prices and there are some very obvious examples on things that are purchased via scripts in game that players might bring up in RP. 

Forgetting about cars and houses, look at the below example of a bottle of water.

Here, a Water Bottle costs $3 to buy IG by any player from a script that isn't in any players control to change or alter. (A very RL price).

unknown.png?width=196&height=32

If a player buys that and mentioned it in conversation when in a restaurant who's trying to charge say, $30 or $50, it's perfectly reasonable for the players to call out how expensive their water is - in which case the entire 1:10 conversation may well arise.

My point here is that there isn't any consistency - I don't really mind whether a dollar is worth the RL equivalent of a dime, a quarter or a dollar, I'd just like there to be a consistency because there are contradictions which make this entire conversation difficult to have and I fully understand the OP's confusion as there isn't a single answer that's correct.

And to answer the OP's subject question 'What's the economy like'? I think can be summed up with, it's complicated!

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy

The above comment is spot on, there’s no consistency and to sum it up, it’s complicated. There’s not much point even trying to understand the economy, I just go with it. Stuff costs whatever it costs lol. It’s easier just looking at it that way. 

I can imagine creating an economy for a virtual world was very difficult and as long as things still run smooth, just go with it, even if it doesn’t always make sense. Despite a lack of consistency and correlation, everything still seems to run smooth and that’s the main thing 😁

the most impressive thing is how the money circulates, as in taxes go to the government and they actually have to fund everything through that etc, I’m a big fan of that 

• 3 weeks later...