Penal Code

Rukka

All,

I have had members from the LSPD approach me about the penal code being confusing to read and understand properly - they are finding it difficult to ascertain what crimes are felonies and what are misdemeanours as well as the numbering of the penal codes not really making sense (i.e it subsections seem to continue rather than reset at 1).  

Due to this, I believe it may be beneficial to have a review of the current penal code and either rework it so that it's easier to read or create a slimmed down, easier to read version for law enforcement agencies to work from.

What are the thoughts in this group regarding the above?

As a LSPD member, but more importantly as a Detective, its difficult to navigate through the entire subsections. In addition, it's extremely messy to narrow down charges for case documentation; Example being: Human trafficking; Its Chapter 3 Kidnapping, subpoint 24; 

Or Prostitution; Chapter 7 Other Offenses, subpoint 35.

It'd be much easier for each charge to have its own bullet point.

Title 1, Crimes Against the Person

1.1 - Murder

1.2 - Kidnapping

etc

Honestly, yeah, this seems to be my biggest flaw so far as I find it difficult to navigate through the penal code and being forced to find a certain charge located in a certain chapter (I didn't find the charge for Resisting until yesterday). When adding charges, we're meant to add the charge as the Divison, Title and Chapter rather than having a name for each charge (which would be much easier imo), because of this, I found it easier on myself, but a bigger pain in the ass, to create a large notepad file which lists each charge as well as their designated divison, title, and chapter, as I certainly refuse to go scrolling through the penal code and CTRL+F'ing to find a keyword for a certain charge in this long, confusing list.

I would suggest (if possible) adding names for each of the charges, rather than having to put in the specific title and chapter of each charge, as I find myself having to use notepad to make that easier on myself. If we were to keep it the way it is now, I would at least recommend adding hyperlinks to each chapter, that way it'll direct you down the penal code and locate the charge for you instead of having to scroll through the list and read the paragraphs.

Edited by Taunky

The way the current Penal Code is written is very realistic. Does that mean it's good? No. This isn't a court house and it is almost without a doubt that nobody here is a lawyer (and if you are one I think you can agree on saying you don't want to have the same complex legal jargon you face already).

Anyways, without trying to muck up the Penal Code I suggest that it be properly formatted and perhaps toss in some colors. Definitions and examples of situations can be in spoilers. The problem is, and I'm saying this from experience, it is very difficult to create a nice format on this type of forum. It's not PHPBB so it becomes much harder to properly format your text.

On 2017-12-16 at 6:00 PM, the_criserk said:

As a LSPD member, but more importantly as a Detective, its difficult to navigate through the entire subsections. In addition, it's extremely messy to narrow down charges for case documentation; Example being: Human trafficking; Its Chapter 3 Kidnapping, subpoint 24; 

Or Prostitution; Chapter 7 Other Offenses, subpoint 35.

It'd be much easier for each charge to have its own bullet point.

Title 1, Crimes Against the Person

1.1 - Murder

1.2 - Kidnapping

etc

This pretty much explains it. It's very hard to navigate the penal code/Vehicle code to find the right charge for the right crime. Bullet point would make it easier for us to not tab out from ingame and try to navigate the penal code and let the other party waiting ingame do nothing whilst we browse the forums.

Best way from a PD perspective is still to just be able to search with ctrl+f and find the charge your looking for without getting 3-4 examples in different sections with no information about the prison time amount, make the actual charge and prison amount bold.

Charges of evading or eluding, resisting should be defined. Such as Evading/Eluding should be in the Vehicle Code. While Resisting should be in its own charge in the regular penal code or an add on to Eluding/Evading. Failure to Yield to Police Lights should be another charge in the vehicle code.