Being Rich to be Poor.

AM

So I kinda came to a realisation of playing a poor character. I was planning out playing a character out on the current reservation and I realised - you gotta have an absolute fuck ton of script cash to RP being in poverty for the most part. You want a shitbox trailer out in the desert? Prepare to pay 200k. You want to RP having a beaten down Dukes as your daily that breaks down constantly? 90k, more than you're paying for an absolutely mint-condition version of the same car. I saw a Stab City trailer being advertised for 200k+. It kind of gets almost ludicrous in having to pay so much script cash to actually RP being a poorer, lower class character out in the county.  Combine that with incredibly rare transactions of property out in the county to the point where I'm fairly certain the rentable motels house entire apartment blocks worth of people in them, and the understandable lack of actual property that can be mapped due to Rockstar not really giving Grapeseed, Sandy, Paleto and some disparate housing northward much thought, it makes trying to break into county RP far more daunting than I think it really should be. This is lessso a real suggestion or anything, just an idea I had while planning out a new char and I figure I'd like to see the community's thoughts on it.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, you're right. In order to roleplay a beat down car, you have to buy one. That being said, no one said you had to buy one from the scripted dealership in mint condition — you could always opt to go and RP with player-run dealerships instead.

Houses are a different matter, in the way that they're stuck being the middle ground. They're not too expensive like they often are in many other communities, but they're not too cheap either. Again though, is making money really hard on the server? Not really. Combined with the starter cash, even a simple job like store clerk can comfortably let you make some ~12-15k a day.

I'm sorry you've had trouble getting enough money to RP what you want, Perhaps, in time we'll have more resources to spawn trailer parks per UCP requests in areas where people want to congregate and RP them. Some prices may not be as well optimized on the server, but that's a fairly minor cost given the rest of the economy is viable, and players aren't forced to farm cash like they do in other communities.

Edited by yerro
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

I absolutely get where you're coming from, but it's moreso a matter of odd pricing in places where it really shouldn't be, in my opinion? I've essentially come back from a year-long hiatus and one of the side effects I came to notice of a more active, higher player count is that property prices have only gone up. I remember housing in the county being still rare to actually pop up for sale or on the market, but when it did, it was usually relatively reasonable pricing (unless there was a particular boom of RP in the county, in which case prepare for a scalpin'.) And I absolutely get your point on buying from player-run dealerships as well, that's my preference - I even made a small arc of that a year ago of my character desperately searching for a perfect replica of his old Gauntlet Classic from a seller since he had to get rid of it. But I question the point of placing the Beater Dukes higher than the original Dukes for what is, quite literally, a worse version of the car. Quite a few of what I would describe as low-income vehicles, such as the Washington, the Virgo Classic, the Cheburek, so and so forth are priced oddly high, but that's a different matter entirely.

I did hear mention of tents being a thing, or placeable trailers - which I feel would absolutely be a god-send for the county, instead of having the current situation where whenever property does arise, it's usually highly priced and snapped up almost immediately, resulting in the situation where a decent number of people are in a weird pyramid scheme of couch surfing, or have to rent a place in the motels.

I'm not an expert in the topic of Real State but I've been roleplaying a poor character in the countryside for a little while and I faced the same problems - - - but I found some workarounds.

- You can find drivable trailers in the Route 68th car dealership for a very affordable price (25k If I remember well), they come with a premade interior but It's a nice way to start, also, the run down appearance of the vehicle makes it blend well with Blaine's general aesthetic. Also , it's actually portable ! So you can set your home wherever until you settle down.

-I've driven a pretty crappy Declasse Tornado for 12k at the same dealership, most of the cars there are cheap and well , they run the same for the most part, get a whatever car for the time being until you can afford the model you specifically want.

Considering you can make 50k on your first day as a new character, nah - - - you don't really need to be rich to fit with the poor.

Although, I share your concerns for the 200k priced trailers and very expensive and scarce properties in Blaine generally. Half of the properties aren't own by locals, just real state flippers that buy cheap and expect to sell expensive waiting 1 year or more.

To sum it up - - - welcome to the county pardner <3

Thing is, prices depend on OOC demand and supply. IRL nobody wants to live in a shitty trailer in the middle of nowhere. Here many players want to roleplay in that scenario, and since there aren't a lot of properties at the countryside, or South LS the prices go higher. 

Some people take advantage of this and purchase these places not to roleplay there but to sell them for a higher price. Given the limited amount of these properties, I'd make it that you can only purchase one of these if you don't have any other apartment or house. To make sure they are used by people who want to roleplay there.

21 hours ago, Mister Barrowsky said:

I drove a Rusty Emperor for 1400 miles from 0 and lived in it for months -  got a tent set up in a forest. No need to own houses whatsoever to RP a poor guy.

But not everyones trying to roleplay a homeless person. Big difference to rp'ing low income housing and rp'ing no income, no housing.