How much better would RP be if nobody knew each other oocly?

Legate

That's exactly what I was asking myself. I was starting my last MC without any OOC contacts. Unfortunately no one was joining me for three weeks but the contacts I made within that time were around until the end of the club. 

I think a general meta without discord and without any OOC contacts would be awesome. 

• Upvote 1

I honestly believe that people not interacting OOC would benefit the roleplay quality on the server completely.   OOC influences RP way too much. If someone see's someone rping with another individual they don't like. They will go out of their way to tell someone not to roleplay with said person.  Sometimes people can't keep everything IC. Which is sad,  A lot of my roleplay has been ruined because of OOC influence. 

Ive stoppd playing because of this exact issue. 

Edited by Radiant

The best experience I had when roleplaying on GTAW was when I first joined. I met two gang bangers who would push drugs, be friends to me and help my character grow as an individual. They would invite me to parties IC where otherwise I wouldn't be welcomed etc. This whole experience lasted 2 months, and what made it the most enjoyable was the fact that I knew neither of them OOC.

Edited by xdthe

When I first joined this server, I was dedicated to keeping all my game interactions strictly IC with no OOC connections or ties whatsoever. Ngl, this was one of the best decisions I took on the server, people not knowing who you are/who they're interacting with provides them with a lot of mystery of trying to figure out your character.

Eventually as time went on, you slowly start getting one another on an OOC level, while that may not be specifically a bad thing but, eventually one way or another, that OOC friendship rubs off on the IC one.

Similar to other people here, some of my best roleplay was when I didn't know anyone OOCly. Though I'm also guilty of having coordinated OOCly in order to create roleplay, at the time not knowing how much I was actually ruining it.  If I could go back I wouldn't even add anyone on discord and let everything flow naturally.

On 11/17/2020 at 10:04 AM, arandomgamer said:

The server could start by cracking down on Factions metagaming their own members. It doesn't really make for a good impression when you can be removed from a faction for OOC reasons.

Sadly, that's beyond anyone's control but the roleplayers'. Faction leaders and members need to have enough respect for roleplay to not allow OOC to interfere with it, but why would they when they know other factions are abusing it too, and they'd be at a disadvantage if they didn't. 

It's also such a turn off too when a faction has their own "clique" and they just discuss and decide on everything OOCly before roleplaying it out. Or are even in VC while in game, like-- who wants to roleplay with a faction when they're all talking to each other?