The advantage of LSPD

MixedKidYT

Now I don't know if I am the only one who thinks this but I just want to have a discussion about it and get other peoples opinions. When it comes to some members of LSPD and their whole faction I think sometimes the way they are treated seems off, when a cop does something that is somewhat unrealistic it seems that it is always seen as "My PD character has extensive training in [INSERT SUBJECT] so that is why I can do it" and usually that is accepted. For an example I saw a report one time on LSPD where someone used a hostage as a human body shield, but everyone except for the hostage was killed, even though the criminal in the situation had him super close to his body somehow all the bullets curved, this is not something police would do in real life in my opinion because it is too risky and highly possible to kill/injure the hostage". But since all the officers had "extensive training" they have perfect aim. Another thing to mention is how fast police cars are, I was in a police chase in my Hellfire (fully maxed in upgrades) and the officer somehow completely caught up to me completely, now this is just an opinion but I wanna see what other people think.

In my humble opinion, the LSPD only steps up according to the general level of criminality and resources of the criminal elements in the server. It makes in-universe sense that a police department in a city that features multiple daily high-speed chases through the city by high-end cars would have a fleet that is made to compete against that constant threat. If everyone was riding around in rusted Emperors then this would likely be different, but that's not what many criminals generally choose to do.

As for the specific issues with particular PD officers and scenes, there is always the /report system. Police officers are players just like you. If you have an honest grievance and see something you think is wrong, they don't have special immunity, and can also make honest mistakes, sometimes acting out of the best of intentions, and sometimes not.

Also, I have seen very good police officers suspended for mistakes or oversights in the line of duty, potentially stalling or sabotaging months and months of RP when the opposite party PK'd and could return to their business.

EDIT: Addendum - and yes, I do agree, LSPD have many toys and many tools at hand to ensure their success, but let's not forget the mountains of tedious paperwork and redundant IC lectures and weeks/months of training they have to go through to justify their abilities. On the other hand, as a criminal, the level of justification for grabbing a Hellcat and zipping around town is a lot lesser.

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 8
1 minute ago, Koko said:

In my humble opinion, the LSPD only steps up according to the general level of criminality and resources of the criminal elements in the server. It makes in-universe sense that a police department in a city that features multiple daily high-speed chases through the city by high-end cars would have a fleet that is made to compete against that constant threat. If everyone was riding around in rusted Emperors then this would likely be different, but that's not what many criminals generally choose to do.

As for the specific issues with particular PD officers and scenes, there is always the /report system. Police officers are players just like you. If you have an honest grievance and see something you think is wrong, they don't have special immunity, and can also make honest mistakes, sometimes acting out of the best of intentions, and sometimes not.

I get what you are saying and I can respect your opinion but I have reported cops for horribly rped scenes that ended up not going through, for an example I reported a cop for no FearRP as he got out of his car when guns were pointed at him and he ran to shoot/call backup and at first it was labeled as valid, for that situation I had to send 13 days in prison before another admin voided the situation and agreed with me. I do think LSPD have a huge report advantage, especially compared to hood/gang rpers.

Koko brings a valid point — PD is reactive in their means, they do not set the initial trend as the "criminal" side does. It's also worth noting that while they do have a wide array of tools available to them, these tools come with plenty of internal restrictions and require coordination to use properly — something they devote a great deal of resources to. If you want to deescalate all that, the lore of Los Santos would be changed as the city would descend into lawlessness.

If we take the case above, the officer is no different. Getting out of a car while having several people aiming at you and just blasting back is textbook subpar fear RP, and you're free to report them. It's unfortunate that your report took that long, though if it makes it easier for you, that officer will likely receive at the very least a demotion, if not straight up a suspension for breaking the rules. The PD are very strict on that.

4 minutes ago, MixedKidYT said:

I get what you are saying and I can respect your opinion but I have reported cops for horribly rped scenes that ended up not going through, for an example I reported a cop for no FearRP as he got out of his car when guns were pointed at him and he ran to shoot/call backup and at first it was labeled as valid, for that situation I had to send 13 days in prison before another admin voided the situation and agreed with me. I do think LSPD have a huge report advantage, especially compared to hood/gang rpers.

I wouldn't know about it as I have never been in PD or an active part of a gang. I have been friends with people with PD characters high up in rank, and I can certainly say that they have been suspended over very nitpicky aspects of their conduct, this all being in-character as well over (for example) a case with several criminals killed during a pursuit. This had lasting effects on the PD characters and their careers, while the criminals PKed and returned to their game.

Edited by Koko
Just now, yerro said:

Koko brings a valid point — PD is reactive in their means, they do not set the initial trend as the "criminal" side does. It's also worth noting that while they do have a wide array of tools available to them, these tools come with plenty of internal restrictions and require coordination to use properly — something they devote a great deal of resources to. If you want to deescalate all that, the lore of Los Santos would be changed as the city would descend into lawlessness.

If we take the case above, the officer is no different. Getting out of a car while having several people aiming at you and just blasting back is textbook subpar fear RP, and you're free to report them. It's unfortunate that your report took that long, though if it makes it easier for you, that officer will likely receive at the very least a demotion, if not straight up a suspension for breaking the rules. The PD are very strict on that.

And I would be fine with that except for the fact TWO admins said that he rped it correctly before it was overturned by a different admin.

1 minute ago, Koko said:

I wouldn't know about it as I have never been in PD or an active part of a gang. I have been friends with people with PD characters high up in rank, and I can certainly say that they have been suspended over very nitpicky aspects of their conduct, this all being in-character as well over (for example) a case with several criminals killed during a pursuit. This had lasting effects on the PD characters and their careers, while the criminals PKed and returned to their game.

That's my point although cops deal with "IC punishment" they probably will get demoted or pked and go about their day, but if we mess up we might face major jail time, and you better hope that a cop doesn't see your name after you commit a crime because they will MG it, I've seen it before.

I get you. I myself have seen and nearly been a part of a case when PD seemed to be given a lot of lenience and wasn't even questioned, whereas the other side providing extensive evidence of their effort towards quality RP has been treated like very questionable roleplayers. I agree with your thread then, it might be worth bringing it up and asking for better transparency when dealing with PD-related situations.

Sorry, let me edit this in though:

That's my point although cops deal with "IC punishment" they probably will get demoted or pked and go about their day, but if we mess up we might face major jail time, and you better hope that a cop doesn't see your name after you commit a crime because they will MG it, I've seen it before.

As much as I agree with your points above, I feel you're not getting the magnitude of your comparison. A demotion or dishonorable discharge is /much/ more severe than major jail time. You'll be out of the jail in a matter of days, but they'll be forced to spend at least two months getting back to "where they were" in the hierarchy.

Not saying that climbing the ranks is all there is to PD, but if you're arguing that the said PD member is driven to get promoted, this is highly applicable.

Edited by yerro
2 minutes ago, MixedKidYT said:

That's my point although cops deal with "IC punishment" they probably will get demoted or pked and go about their day, but if we mess up we might face major jail tim

I think you both (PD and crims)  will find yourselves to be in a similar position if you sat down and talked about the risks of each others' RP 🙂 a demotion for PD is several months of work lost, and potentially disrupting their future promotion as their record is tarnished forever. Also at least last time I played in the server (I have only recently returned) it was a pretty established practice for high level officers (particularly Detectives come to mind, who were dropping like flies for a minute) to actually CK if they were killed during investigations and police work.

Edited by Koko