Lack of fear - Character Kill

vally

Big nope from me.

Characters is that one thing you just don't mess with. Many of us develop a bond with our character and having someone come into your world and take it away doesn't feel right. There are those of you who won't be on board with this since like you don't feel the same about your characters — and that's fine, but for players like me, having your character just wiped off the server would legit make us quietly bail.

I'm completely, vehemently against ANY forced CKs on the server. Be it faction CKs, admin CKs or any other. My character is my creation and no one should have the right to take it.

Now let's take a look at it from a different perspective — CK as a punishment, or punishments in general.

The goal of the admin team is to educate players and improve, ensure and guarantee the quality of roleplay in the community. Punishing doesn't teach you to roleplay better, it only teaches you not to get caught next time.

I'm not advocating the removal of jails and bans, but jails aren't supposed to be "punishments" as much as final warnings to players before facing a ban. If a person seems to be unable to grasp the concept of roleplay or doesn't live up to the standards of the community, they should be taken off the server.

Again, it's not a punishment, it's creating an environment that fits everyone. They should and do have a chance to be allowed back — by proving they're reformed in the ban appeals.

Rules concerning fear roleplay or general individual types of encounters and cases aren't practical. If anything, they streamline roleplay into a very niche format. Instead of telling people to roleplay fear to the point of shaking knees and chattering teeth, we should promote the mindset of keeping your character in check and keeping your OOC emotions in check.

It's natural that all human traits are ramped up to often unthinkable levels in roleplay. If we're talking bravery, it's outright heroism. If we're talking fear, it's "mewling and begging for your life". If we're talking character flaws like being in a bad shape, it's making your character so unthinkably obese it's ridiculous.

The important thing to keep in mind is that your character needs to be a believable human. It's not about finding a way out of every situation, it's about finding a way that your character would likely take.

That's the mindset we should be promoting in this community, not playing whack-a-mole with rules on what's allowed and what isn't, and CKing/punishing people left and right.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

With the current level of rampant low-quality criminal activity, this will be a hard no from me. It may be easier to humor and support as a suggestion if criminals begin self-regulating and filtering out the poor quality roleplayers that plague their ranks so extensively.

That this post is a month old and the low-quality crime situation has only grown worse, serves well enough as evidence that the administration should be the only real authority to handle CKs.

Edited by DasFroggy

The rules and standards for "Fear RP" are already dubious enough as it is. I have not seen a single universal, clear definition of when and to what degree one should RP fear, or how to display fear appropriately. It mostly seems to come up in the context of a report or some /b talk which tends to boil down to "someone didn't completely disable their character when I brandished a weapon in their direction therefore they didn't show fear RP".

There's people in this community that have a vested interest in the only accepted response to having a gun pointed at you being to completely freeze and accept all of the attackers' demands. I'm not going to support a proposal for CKs surrounding the idea of fear RP until we have a clear, measurable, player-friendly definition (since the suggestion intends to take Admins away from the equation and let players decide on these disputes) of how fear RP should work.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Koko said:

"someone didn't completely disable their character when I brandished a weapon in their direction therefore they didn't show fear RP".

This is a particularly unusual yet frequent situation that occurs, in which most muggers and criminals expect fear to immobilize their target, yet they become frustrated when the target is frozen with fear and too afraid to make sudden movements for their pockets.

There is this strange double standard - the victim cannot move or they forfeit their life, but they have to move fast when commanded if they do not wish to forfeit their lives?

No, the current ruleset is fine as it is. If we as admins aren't allowed to force CKs on players without approval then why should players be allowed to self-regulate CKs based on lack of fear?. If someone didn't RP fear during a situation and ended up being killed for it, you can always make a report and we can decide if a CK is appropriate or not. Same goes if they rushed roleplay. Alternatively if the matter is IC and not through rulebreaking and there is enough reasoning and history behind it, make a CK application.

I'll be archiving this suggestion as there are already tried and tested systems in place to deal with this behaviour.