Lack of fear - Character Kill

vally

Hello, I'm writing this suggestion to suggest to turn the lack of fear from a breaking of rule to a game mechanic. This rule exists because in a real contest you would be scared if somebody points a gun at you, if you are surrounded by four, five people, or still if you're in a situation of obviously disadvantage for yourself. But in-game, if the rule didn't exist, a player would choose obviously to be PK'd and to respawn without many problems instead of following what people want them to do. But this way makes you being forced to RP only one way and it doesn't leave room for immagination and original scenes at all. Maybe in a situation of obviously disadvantage a father would be still willing being killed for saving his son or his daughter, a fifteen boy who hasn't ever been in a shootout and has got his first pistol, when sees cops surrounding him goes crazy thinking that shooting randomly would be the only option available, etc. But how to judge these situations to understand the reason why the character did that? Nobody can but the player of the character, but obviously there would be the problem of the guy who does it not for his character portrayal but to evade the IC situation. So my suggestion is doing what is already written in the server rules, number 2, turning this lack of fear to an IC consequence; the character kill. If I wrote this suggestion is because I still see a lot of OOC punishments for doing that, like bans and ajails, instead of an IC consquence for the character.

Edited by vally
11 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Why would you take the considerations and leeway away from the handling administrator?

This suggestion doesn't make any sense to me.

Admins cannot consider your character's actions as you can do for your character, but they can choose right rules in order not to make players abuse situations.

5 hours ago, vally said:

Admins cannot consider your character's actions as you can do for your character, but they can choose right rules in order not to make players abuse situations.

Hence, the reason for players to present their reasoning through a C.K. appeal application. The current system is fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Different people have different reactions when they're cornered. Some might seem irrational, but that's the way it is. If everybody reacts the same, then every situation becomes predictable and that takes away all the fun. I see no reason to enforce CKs due to lack of 'fear', when 'fear' comes in many shapes and forms.

Edited by Gryphboi
forgot something

This has been implemented on other RP communities such as Owl Gaming of MTA.

It isn't a bad suggestion, but at the same time it doesn't solve an underlying issue. What happens when you have someone literally at the end of your gun's barrel, and he chooses to asspull a pistol and gun you down because GTA V's shooting mechanics are literally an arcade game? Sure it happens irl too, but 99.9999% of times that this happens irl, they die (it has been empirically proven than no combative skills, gun or not, yield good statistical chances for survival against a gun pointed at you). Here they actually have about 50/50 chance of winning, because again, the game's shooting mechanics are meant to be unrealistic to begin with.

So how would you deal with this situation? Sure this example is very easy to deal with, jail them for PG'ing and get it over with... What happens when it's 3v3 in a stand off, where three guns are pointed at 3 individuals and those 3 asspull? Well now it gets harder. At least with the current ruleset, as it stands, everyone needs to RP a degree of fear according to their characters.

Problem is, there's already enough subjectivity that goes into administrating. For better or worse, every admin has a slightly different perception of reality, either due to experience or lack thereof, and I feel like this suggestion will add even MORE of that subjectivity to the equation. At least now, the rule is clear. You must roleplay fear. It doesn't matter if you're a seasoned lunatic gangbanger or a civilian walking their dog, a degree of fear must be roleplayed. Obviously, one might piss himself and one might call you a prick and say something among the lines of "if you're gonna kill me, get it over with", but the rule is the rule and there's rarely any room for discussion. 

I don't know about this man...

Edited by TritonXVII

I'm fairly certain one can apply for a CK for lack of fear already. Leave it up to the Administrator to determine the punishment. The OOC punishment is so there is a record of bad behavior that doesn't disappear when that one character is deleted/CK'd/etc. There is a need for it. You don't want the same player to be CK'd multiple times across multiple characters for lack of fear, continuing to break rules with no OOC record of punishment.

Leave it as is. No need to fix something that isn't broken.

Edited by Juicebox
  • 2 weeks later...

It's sad to see so many people responding with the general "let the admins deal with it". A server that runs itself with minimal administrator intervention should be the goal here. While the original poster did a horrible job getting his point across, he / she is correct. The lack of hardcore systems in grand theft auto role-play (this server and past servers, but because let's face it, they're a carbon copy of each other with minor differences) has in my opinion led to the breeding of sub-par role-players who will never change because the server caters to them instead of forcing them out / forcing them to change their take on role-play. 

Without going into a rant, you make more unforgiving rules (sort of like how PD has introduced serious IC sentences for IC crime) and people will either adjust or quit. Either way, it's a win because from what I've seen in my ten years of role-playing is that the people who cry about it being unfair or it's too hardcore to be CK'd for any reason are the same players who use PKs as a cop out of their IC actions. Make real consequences for players and they will in turn react with real fear. 

And to touch on the current "CK app" system. It places way to much trust in the ability of the administration team which is far from perfect and the system is easily corruptible with OOC motives / favoritism. 

Edited by Davis