An actual solution to removing the robbery limit.

zaXer.

37 minutes ago, Matt_S said:

Coming from a trucker who annoyingly has to carry cash to one, purchase the crates and two, get the payment through cash (which is completely unrealistic) I would say I disagree with this possible change UNLESS the trucking script gets tweaked. Trucks are already a major hotspot for robberies especially in the docks which should be a very safe space and highly secure but just allowing robbers to take tens of thousands from us due to the script giving out money in cash is a no go for me.(sorry if this has been mentioned but I am not reading thru 11 pages lol)

Here's the problem the entire money system needs to be changed and credit cards to be introduced to actually suffice a reasonable suggestion as this.

4 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Do you consider all robbery roleplay an issue? I spend a large portion of my time for this type of roleplay, and have for the most part always had a fun experience surrounding robberies and burglaries. I never really understood why people demand such harsh punishments for robberies, like we shouldn’t be allowed to do them. 

Yes.

It's repetitive and dull with a blatant OOC asset motivation. You may have had fun, but I can almost certainly guarantee that barring a "gang vs gang" experience, the other player is most certainly not welcoming it. While I have no doubt that some robbers may provide adequate RP, I will say with certainty that anyone who's typed "/b /showinv" does not fall in this category.

Don't frame my proposal as a "punishment" for the robbery; think of it instead as balancing the scales between what is, at present, a very unbalanced interaction in terms of risk vs reward. That's why it's so popular, after all - the risk is small, but the potential rewards are massive.

This suggestion fixes nothing, really. A system like this adds unnecessary complexity and sounds more like a pain in the ass than anything else. This suggestion is about fixing a problem that doesn't even exist in first place.

13 hours ago, zaXer. said:

- Having people walk around with their whole wealth in their pockets. Fix the issue of 'i just sold 500 grams of cocaine but you cant rob more than $5000k off me, even though i just left the deal', 'ah my club opening is done, let me pocket $50 000 and go to the bank' and many other similar cases.

How do you expect people do to things like big gun/drug deals with this system worth of 50k+ if you can carry only 15k max around? People would have to hop in and out of their cars multiple times just to transfer the needed amount and they'd also bring their cars to EVERY deal they do. What if deals happen in closed environments? And even if we used that system and someone just got rid of 500 grams of cocaine, wouldn't the rules still say that you're not allowed to take more off him than 5k? 

I can already see people running in and out of their nightclubs and to their cars bringing all the money from the club into the car and driving it to the bank just to do the same there to deposit it. A big no from me. 

• Upvote 1

I can see why so many people are quick to criticise, because the system would lead to an increase in robberies and people will be quick to just rob people with duffle bags and whatnot.

HOWEVER, I was thinking of this the other day. IRL, you have organisations like Serco, Loomis and many other cash in transit companies who move cash around for organisations. Heck, I've even seen them move cash around for your local off license (24/7). It would be good to incorporate something like that though. 

20 hours ago, zaXer. said:

i'll have a hard time fitting that in my pockets unless you got cargo pants or something. I carry a wallet, phone, keys, etc and other things inside my pockets as well.

also, why would I walk around with $50k in my pockets IRL?

Gangs will go to those places, sure. Why would a club owner go and deposit $50k in the bank on his own, though? if you do a dumb move, your fault on losing it. Most businesses hire security for their openings - use them to move your money.

Even though I kinda agree with the idea as it will increase the roleplay but saying those money won't fit in your pocket isn't true. I just sold my car two days ago for 32k and it easily fitted into my pockets.

Maybe we can do this that, you can carry 50k without a bag and if someone is going to carry more then they require suitcase/bag.

Edited by Reymunim
4 hours ago, Smilesville said:

Yes.

It's repetitive and dull with a blatant OOC asset motivation. You may have had fun, but I can almost certainly guarantee that barring a "gang vs gang" experience, the other player is most certainly not welcoming it. While I have no doubt that some robbers may provide adequate RP, I will say with certainty that anyone who's typed "/b /showinv" does not fall in this category.

Don't frame my proposal as a "punishment" for the robbery; think of it instead as balancing the scales between what is, at present, a very unbalanced interaction in terms of risk vs reward. That's why it's so popular, after all - the risk is small, but the potential rewards are massive.

I will frame it as a punishment because it’s unreasonably harsh, and comes from a position of frustration. Planning, executing and recovering from a robbery isn’t dull, nor repetitive. And neither myself and everyone I’ve gone out with have done so for OOC reasons. I could go on a tangent on how we do our absolute best to not only roleplay the before and after accordingly, but also make it proper for the “victim”. I do recognize your plicht entirely and understand you position. It is just that I’m pressing my perspective in that it is the same people doing the same shitty robberies over and over again. They’re the people who generally create these types of situations: https://streamable.com/l7vxnf they all have the same origin and consistently do these things for no other reason than to ruin your day. It’s not as much of a system issue imo, but more a rule enforcement issue.

23 hours ago, SteveHastingson said:

I like the idea, however I think it will bring back the issue we used to face on OwlGaming, an MTA server. Which was stupidly high amounts of delivery driver robberies, as like GTA:W, they get paid cash in hand, we were completely over-riden with robberies. (RS-Haul Robbers for anyone that remembers)

Don't worry, we had that issue as well. Trucker robberies are still rampant, but they were much worse when they got paid in cash.

2 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I will frame it as a punishment because it’s unreasonably harsh, and comes from a position of frustration. Planning, executing and recovering from a robbery isn’t dull, nor repetitive. And neither myself and everyone I’ve gone out with have done so for OOC reasons. I could go on a tangent on how we do our absolute best to not only roleplay the before and after accordingly, but also make it proper for the “victim”. I do recognize your plicht entirely and understand you position. It is just that I’m pressing my perspective in that it is the same people doing the same shitty robberies over and over again. They’re the people who generally create these types of situations: https://streamable.com/l7vxnf they all have the same origin and consistently do these things for no other reason than to ruin your day. It’s not as much of a system issue imo, but more a rule enforcement issue.

I appreciate that you put in the effort to make it no less of an obtrusive interaction on a (usually) unsuspecting participant than it needs to be. The issue with this is that most players are not likely to run into someone like yourself; they're much more likely to run into Joe & John "/showinv" Robberman who couldn't give two licks about roleplay and just want money/items or a good chuckle for the night. 

That being said, I don't particularly agree with this suggestion. OP points out that business owners pulling a ludicrous amount of money out of their business just to deposit it in the bank is an issue, but that's literally the only way you can do it. The script allows no other option. Furnishing still doesn't take out of your bank account, payment for trucking crates still doesn't take out of your bank account, security add-ons for cars still don't take out of your bank account (I could be wrong here, it might've been fixed). Unless there is an individual name to do a bank transfer to, or the script decides it wants to take money out of your bank account, you have to at some point have cash on you, sometimes in ludicrous amounts. OP keeps saying that he's addressed this, but it's more of a side note than part of the actual suggestion.

Robberies will absolutely increase. Anyone with a bag will become more of a target than they already are. Saying "they'll only get X amount of money out of it" does not work, because right now robbers will roll up on anyone just for the chance of getting a phone and two dollars out of it. It's free reward for no extra risk.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I will frame it as a punishment because it’s unreasonably harsh, and comes from a position of frustration. Planning, executing and recovering from a robbery isn’t dull, nor repetitive. And neither myself and everyone I’ve gone out with have done so for OOC reasons. I could go on a tangent on how we do our absolute best to not only roleplay the before and after accordingly, but also make it proper for the “victim”. I do recognize your plight entirely and understand you position. It is just that I’m pressing my perspective in that it is the same people doing the same shitty robberies over and over again. They’re the people who generally create these types of situations: https://streamable.com/l7vxnf they all have the same origin and consistently do these things for no other reason than to ruin your day. It’s not as much of a system issue imo, but more a rule enforcement issue.

It's a little rosy to think it's the same bad apples responsible for all the server's bad robberies, don't you think?

It's not an unreasonably harsh balancing act in the context of what you, as a robber, stand to gain. My suggestion just balances the scales and makes robberies a less attractive option - which is what it's designed to do considering the sheer number of robberies the city experiences. You can't sift through the report section and not come away with the impression something is fundamentally wrong with the robbery incentive for people to be acting so consistently foolish. I refuse to believe that large a segment of the server population is just here to ruin someone else's day.

Much more likely is that they realize even if they get busted, there's not a lot that's going to happen - whereas a score of enough weapons, drugs, and cash could provide far upwards of the $5000 limit. A single firearm is more than double that - if not extra insurance that you'll have a gun waiting for you if you get busted. I'm not familiar with drug prices, but I can't imagine they're negligible.

The fact of the matter is that robbers benefit from the lack of realistic infrastructure that, in the real world, are designed to keep money secure. GTAW robbers don't have to put their life (or anything except the gun they bring with them) on the line. It's a problem that's existed from the server's inception because of the incentive structure - the only way to fix it is to fix the incentive structure.

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic