Aircraft Transponders

Fraggloid

Short description: The addition of an aircraft transponder system, with options for enabling, disabling, etc, as well as live tracking.

Detailed description: 
I propose the addition of a simplified aircraft transponder system, based loosely on that used in reality, to provide both an alert system and aircraft tracking ability.

Codes exist for the re-addition of player blips into RAGE; I suggest that with the command /transponder [on/off] players in aviation roleplay could more easily keep track of the positions of other aircraft operating while they are, as per real-life ATC systems. In GTAV, and especially Rage, it's very hard to visually spot other aircraft, especially without the real-life assistance that would be provided by area controllers. Having aircraft displayed on the map in lieu of this would be an excellent way to substitute a live controller alerting pilots to other aircraft in their airspace. 

The addition of the on/off triggers would also work to allow illegal roleplayers using aircraft to continue to do so - at their own peril. In with this suggestion, a law update to make it illegal to fly without a transponder enabled would need to be made. Obviously, as there is no FAA in game, the responsibility for enforcement of this would fall to the LSPD/LSSD. 

Another addition could be a purchasable item that allows players not in aircraft to enable a viewing-only version of the script.

Commands to add: /transponder [on/off]

Items to add: None, or one to give access to the command.

How would your suggestion improve the server? Aviation roleplay has seen an increase lately, with several companies providing aviation related roleplay, private aviators, and the LSPD, LSSD, and the LSFD all having active Air Operations Divisions. Current support for ATC protocol and such is limited due to the nature of our text-based roleplay; having a nice system such as this would be a huge boon and quality of life improvement for all of us who fly in-game. 

Additional information:

In reality it's easy to track aircraft online!

8c2b2079d46d04a2f7181a220fb83f2f.jpg

Edited by Fraggloid
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I also agree with this one, super suggestion!

I think if it worked like a standard, current transponder, the transponder shouldn't give away player name, regist. number, etc, and just be a selected code.

However I think if it was just easier to put blips that gave name, number, etc then that would be the way to go.  If this were the case, then I feel like ATC or whoever had access to those blips should acknowledge and RP that they do not know that info.  All they'd know is there is an aircraft out there squawking a transponder code and until they communicate via radio, they have no idea who that is.

Also, I think it should be default on until it's manually turned off.  Most people leave  the x-ponder on in their plane and rarely, if ever, turn it off.

• mj2002 locked this topic