Trucking Roleplay

orca112

9 hours ago, orca112 said:

Damn, looks like I hit a nerve there even though that was not the intention of including that screenshot. Then again, it has been my bad for not including a disclamer or censoring the character names. The screenshot has been provided to me through a third party and does not represent, nor show the point of view of my character in the trucking scene which is Tamiko Hasegawa. The comment below the picture is a satirical way commenting the mindset of impatient grinders in the trucking scene mixed with a pinch of salt.

It is nice to see you stating that you do actively roleplay around deliveries. I am not here to argue that, not to mention that indidual player actions are a thing to be discussed through other means as this thread serves for the trucking scene and roleplay as a whole and how to improve on it as a community rather than throwing mud at each other left and right.

Thank you for clearing it out. My name doesn't annoy the fact that you are discussing something that really needs to be discussed.

But hey, your choice to blatantly blame me.

Edited by Wolfgang
7 hours ago, orca112 said:

Sure, the original post I started this thread with is a rant, one of them being a unrealistic portrayal of trucking characters driving high end sports cars. Though, that is not the only reason or problem mentioned as the whole trucking scene and roleplay is flawed. From rushed deliveries over lack of roleplay, OOCly motivated robberies and the script encouraging the grind mixed up with a lot of new players and people that simply do not care about the roleplay, but solely of making lots of cash as quick as possible; Thus creating a toxic environment that pushes you from roleplaying to follow suit and rush through your deliveries - the vehicles are probably the smallest issue whilst still adding up to the overall problem.

You said all the complaining is getting out of hand, yet this issue is barely brought up in the general conversations despite the majority of the player base being aware of issues such as Speedos zooming through town. This thread serves as a means to discuss and find potential solutions to present issues around the trucking script - and thus untimately the trucking roleplay. This is not limited to the script which still remains as a big factor, but at what truckers, especially trucking companies can do as well as the general server population to not only increase the reputation of trucking roleplay and guiding those that need assistance or new to the server along, but to make it appealing and rewarding to roleplay and portray your character rather than seeing trucking as a means of grinding cash with little to no development and disregarding your environment whilst doing so.

Okay well like I pointed out a Kawaii isn’t a high end sports car. People bring up this issue all the time. I’ve seen this same complaint on the forums and discord way too often and it’s usually the same people making it. A trucker driving a car worth less than 25k brand new is not unrealistic. Period. 

@orca112the problem is X USER who grinds the trucking job to buy a supercar. I bet my entire assets that if you examine a company's employee you will see at least 1 supercar. This makes no sense since a trucker is one of the shitty job of this world. I am speaking as Isaac, I saw a lot of mallrats joining Busch (now imex) just to buy a big house and a big car, and you know what? If you wanna punish one, you'll have to punish half of this server. The staff should review the payments from the trucking script because it is too easy to get rich with this system in 1 or 2 week. I am not saying that who is a trucker is also a bad rper, be careful. 

I don't think it's fair to punish everyone because some people are grinding it hard. People who have a preference for grinding are still going to persevere even if payments are reduced, because some people simply are better at tolerating a grind than others. That will only make it so new people don't access the profession. Those who aren't grinding it like crazy are probably not making that much money anyway, considering that you can easily get paid a lot more for pretty simple RP jobs in businesses like clubs or restaurants.

I want to play a working class character because it's the concept I'm going for, but if the script is nerfed it will make little internal sense for him to pursue it if he can earn several thousand a night serving drinks.

Real life trucker here, to chime in on the 'oh you shouldn't have a fancy car, it's unrealistic.'

Trucking pay is significantly above average compared to other jobs, especially if you opt for over the road. Obviously, we don't have OTR since we're a single state, but still. IRL truckers don't have to buy the deliveries themselves, sell the goods themselves, or pay a commission to their company. Local route truckers tend to make quite the healthy wage. Obviously, OTR is better, as they get paid per miles driven. Most of the truckers I know don't spend a lot, either, because they're usually busy driving. So that adds up pretty quickly. It's not at all 'unrealistic' for a trucker to have a nice car and a nice house, because it's not that hard for one to be fiscally responsible.

I don't know where people are getting off saying 'oh trucking is one of the shittiest jobs in the world'. There's a shortage of truckers in the US so the pay is extremely competitive to try and fix that. If trucking was 'one of the shittiest jobs in the world', you'd be seeing a hell of a lot less of them on the highway ever day.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Darcin said:

Real life trucker here, to chime in on the 'oh you shouldn't have a fancy car, it's unrealistic.'

Trucking pay is significantly above average compared to other jobs, especially if you opt for over the road. Obviously, we don't have OTR since we're a single state, but still. IRL truckers don't have to buy the deliveries themselves, sell the goods themselves, or pay a commission to their company. Local route truckers tend to make quite the healthy wage. Obviously, OTR is better, as they get paid per miles driven. Most of the truckers I know don't spend a lot, either, because they're usually busy driving. So that adds up pretty quickly. It's not at all 'unrealistic' for a trucker to have a nice car and a nice house, because it's not that hard for one to be fiscally responsible.

I don't know where people are getting off saying 'oh trucking is one of the shittiest jobs in the world'. There's a shortage of truckers in the US so the pay is extremely competitive to try and fix that. If trucking was 'one of the shittiest jobs in the world', you'd be seeing a hell of a lot less of them on the highway ever day.

I have friends who drive trucks and their are paid quite a bit for the fact they posses the drivers license for that truck alone!

14 hours ago, Wolfgang said:

Hey no shit. Good to see you saying such a thoughtful opinion. I RP as Ryan Walker and you don't goddamn see the fact that the time you took to deliver was immensely high.  Considering that you were sitting inside the truck for brief moments. I just asked in order to check wether or not you did go AFK.  Complications can arise. If you call me a twat on that then listen. I legit do more /me's than you without wasting the other individual's time. You're the same guy trying to defame. I in my entire career have only asked two IMEX drivers. You and Baker wether or not you were AFK. Youre stupid if you think that makes me a bad RPer or someone speeding deliveries. I have well over 800 deliveries and yes. I did grind but that doesn't give me the title of a bad RPer.

EDIT:

I also talk to truckers. Ask your own trucker Scarlett Fox whom I chat for like twenty minutes or so at the station or the BlueWater guys. I try to do roleplay but if you're cocky and in a rush then I don't give a damn fuck. 

@Wolfgang I RP as Matthew Baker and I would first of like to apologies for the screen shot posted as it was a ongoing joke that day about drivers being a bit random and clearly this has been taken out of context and I never indented anything like this to be shared let alone on a public thread. All I found annoying is that I was parked there for a few seconds at most before you arrived, Then you jumped to the conclusion that I was afk, Blocked me in! and waited for me to get out of the shipment screen for me to then get a bit pissed that you were sat infront of me not letting me out. All you could have done is waited half a minute to see if I was actually afk or **walked** up to me and asked. I didnt mean any of this to turn against you or in fact be posted and had no intention of 'calling you out' about a simple misunderstanding.

Edited by Matt_S
9 hours ago, Smilesville said:

I don't see a problem with this to begin with, especially without other players nearby.

I'm not on board with the idea trucking is supposed to be supremely engaging (though meeting people as a result can be) but the job and the players who do it provide a lot more in terms of making the world feel alive. Systems that populate the empty roads and sidewalks will always be a win in my book. 

I'm also not terribly fond of a nebulous standard regarding how much emoting while unloading crates is "enough." Is one line enough? Two?

Just leave people alone unless they're disruptive in a manner that can't be resolved IC. RP is more than the number of lines you can crank out. 

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant I'm afraid, this is a roleplay server and you're expected to roleplay in detail, more so when other players are around. Do we expect you to roleplay every crate meticulously? Of course not but trying to pass off /me unloads the crates as roleplay, is simply not going to cut it. Certainly the job brings more life to the streets as you mentioned but when an alarming percentage of truckers are rushing around without regard for their own lives, or for others that becomes an administrative headache to deal with. Especially when certain players think it's an IC issue, it's not a healthy mentality to have.

Some good points raised by @Darcin, whilst certainly truckers can be paid very well IRL, increasing the pay for the job on the server would only make things worse and encourage more Speedo Gonzales whizzing around. This is one reason mining was removed because it paid so much everyone flocked to it, people who even shouldn't be miners. People mined with sports cars thinking it was their choice to make their cars messy "It has inventory so why not" and it also encouraged extremely unrealistic behaviour that soon became a scourge to the server as our player base increased.

My point being, if we left players to their own devices when this type of behaviour surfaces it would be chaos, other players would notice it and it would reflect badly on us as administrators. We have to have standards, in real life truckers ae among the most highly skilled at driving, they don't race around like Sabine Schmitz like many do here. 

• Applaud 1
6 minutes ago, Woona said:

Trucking companies should be encouraging their employees to work and should take OOC complaints more seriously. A lot of the same lazy truckers are known about, but nothing gets done to them until an admin does something about them.

The problem is that the financial incentives support looking the other way.

• Applaud 1