Trucking Roleplay

orca112

On 10/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, Dom. said:

I posted a suggestion a while ago because I personally wanted an experience more akin to Elite Trucking.

The grind is tedious and unenjoyable.

You don't have to grind if you don't like it you can still drive a Pounder and roleplay everything with 0 deliveries.
You won't be able to use /startshipment in a Pounder but you can still RP if that's all you care about and not the money.

What I never understood about RP in general, but on this server especially is why people are so fucking impatient when it comes to everything.

I have a lot of knowledge regarding trucking and I'll try my best to voice my opinion down below. The spoiler contains a quick rant that can be skipped.

Spoiler

Driving? Drive like a normal human? Nah, break traffic laws and go sixty plus because if the speed limit is sixty it means I have to go at least sixty.

Walking? Boo hoo hoo no, I'm going to get robbed! I'm going to run instead like it's a marathon!

Trucking? Fuck driving a truck like it's a truck, this is not Euro Truck Simulator two! My trailer will never tip over because this game's physics are utterly shite! I don't care man, I'm gonna drive on sidewalks and whip that trailer around like it's a drift missile and grind away to buy that MP house I've been dreaming of.

Any roleplay that takes time? Nah man, I don't wanna stall and I got ERP to commit to in like twenty minutes, I gotta go get my lube bruh, give me that drink with zero RP and I'll pay you two grand.

Chapter one: Slow the fuck down. Your truck is not an F1 car.

Just chill out people, like slow down, slide that finger off the W button and enjoy the scenery and the drive. When it comes to trucking specifically, it's usually long ass hauls that take hours to days on end to get from A to B. You, as a trucker, are one of the most important people in today's economy. If you don't get to your destination in one piece, people will not get their favorite products, or worse if, you're hauling something important like medical equipment, you might cause havoc in a hospital and people are legit going to die.

Stop treating the trucking job like it's some shitty RPG mechanic, even though it is a shitty RPG mechanic. It doesn't pay you jack shit and there's no middle ground. If we raised the trucking pay, people would grind even more to get that sweet money, if we lowered it then it would cripple the economy because nobody would wanna drive the trucks. The problem lays in the mentality of people who wanna take on this job, because they have zero idea of how it is in real life and how much responsibility it carries. You tip over with a gas tanker for example and you're gonna lose your life.

There are people in this community who either play American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2 along with other simulation games, or they're IRL truckers, and they know how to do their job, and that includes me. But do you wanna know what pushed me away from trucking? The ranking system. I don't wanna sound like a veteran who's been driving a rusty Scania for 25 years through tight roads of a Norwegian fjord, but I do have 500 hours in both ETS2 and ATS combined and I would love to drive TRUCKS. I do not wanna grind deliveries for weeks to be able to drive a Pounder, I might as well launch ETS2 and plug in my G920 wheel and enjoy myself there. I don't wanna drive a shitty van for like 10000 miles before I can finally move over to a vehicle that is more profitable to keep and work in.

Chapter two: Why I don't like trucking on this server despite driving in ETS2 as a hobby.

Now listen, personally I can not be arsed to grind trucking because I have other trucking games I enjoy and as I said, the concept of having to drive a FUCKING VAN for literally THOUSANDS OF MILES before I can get behind the wheel of a REAL TRUCK makes me wanna launch ETS2 instead.
I do not have the time to do all this, I'm an adult man and I simply can't spend ten hours a day grinding a trucking job. I have school, then sometimes after school I got work, and besides that I have other shit in life that I need to take care of.

But I am not the only one who's into trucking on GTA World, some people are into it but they lack the knowledge or the brain capacity to understand what server they're on. They do not understand that this is a roleplay server and not a RPG server, where you can bend rules in order to get more money and fulfill your RPG desires like expensive houses and cars.

Chapter three: People's portrayal of a trucking job on this server is just insulting.

They do not understand that all commercial vehicles/trucks have tachos which monitor driver activity and that if your supervisor saw how fast you were going, it could get you fired. They do not even understand why you have to take turns differently in a truck, making sure your trailer does not get on top of a curb and doesn't injure some poor grandma waiting for her green light.

These people do not understand the concept of having a twenty plus ton load in their fucking trailer, man, they don't understand shit about trucking and they just hop inside, hoping for the best as they cut through corners or drive on sidewalks in a truck with a trailer, with the combined weight of around thirty five to almost forty tons.

I don't wanna sound like an angry trucking nerd but to be honest with everyone, I am pissed because the way people portray this job on this server is insulting. Like I said at the beginning - being a trucker is a responsible job and screwing something up could cost you your life or at least your job. If you have zero knowledge about trucking in general, do not even start. Just do not start.

Chapter four: I am not gatekeeping trucking, just make sure you do your research.

With all that said, feel free to start your journey whenever, but for the love of God almighty, do some research before you start trucking. Keep those things in mind:

- your truck has a tacho, a device that monitors driver activity and can be accessed by your supervisors and perhaps LEOs (not sure about this one)
- your truck is loaded with expensive cargo, be mindful of that and do not drive like you've got everything covered in pillows in the back
- your vehicle weighs a few tons, taking corners like you're in a supercar is going to result in you flipping over
- you're working a very responsible job and you should know that. If you screw things up, you're gonna get what's coming to you

Chapter five: Some suggestions to make the trucking job a bit more welcoming.

First of all, let's consider adding a paycheck that gives you extra cash per each X meters driven. For example, if your distance from the supplier to the delivery zone is 5 kilometres, then let's make it so you get paid $150 or maybe $250 per each kilometer driven. You will get paid NORMAL MONEY, finally.

The garbage job gives you $3000+ per 42 bags of trash, why trucking pays you nothing compared to that, despite it being an actually important job on the server is beyond me.

Second of all, we need a new drivers license. We need a commercial vehicle license and we need to make sure you pass a test, otherwise literal retards are going to take on this job and we're all gonna be sad.

Sorry for making this a rant but I had to get this off my chest. I'm sure we can come up with better ways to make this job more enjoyable but that's all you're gonna get from me for now.

Edit: REMOVE THE FUCKING VANS IT MAKES ZERO SENSE TO DRIVE A VAN WITH 5 CRATES ACROSS THE STATE WHEN YOU HAVE BIG TRUCKS RIGHT THERE. Sorry, that is all.

Edited by hentai!
yes
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
5 hours ago, hentai! said:

REMOVE THE FUCKING VANS IT MAKES ZERO SENSE TO DRIVE A VAN WITH 5 CRATES ACROSS THE STATE WHEN YOU HAVE BIG TRUCKS RIGHT THERE.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the trucking system on the server but what if the script prioritize giving city deliveries to vans and county deliveries to the big rigs?

6 hours ago, Henning said:

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the trucking system on the server but what if the script prioritize giving city deliveries to vans and county deliveries to the big rigs?

I added a suggestion in Game Suggestions to make it so actual big rigs can do long hauls and vans can take care of the city deliveries, something I thought of too. But with that I also said we should split the jobs so those who wanna drive trucks can actually drive them, and those who just want to drive vans can drive vans.

Vans would make sense as something close to city deliveries for services like Amazon or something related to that, imho. It would also make sense with the trend of vans being used by individuals that aren't dedicated drivers because some companies allow for that sort of work IRL. That, plus grocery stores and clothing shops. 

No bigass trailer has any business driving into a small neighbourhood clothes shop, imho (you'd see a big truck go into a big multi-story store that's part of a chain),

The problem right now is that all deliveries pay the same unless the business activates extra pay (currently this is something I have only seen Route 68's car shop do, paying 300$ per crate rather than the standard 250$), so there is a huge benefit to delivering in Los Santos, with greater San Andreas orders being an afterthought because why would you drive 10 miles instead of 1.5 (other than for your own immersion, which I know I do)? This makes it so for instance long hauls would be chill to drive in a big, cumbersome rig, but the amount of people who reach that level while also sticking to driving safely and not hardcore grinding for money is a minority.

It would make sense to carry out more Paleto/Sandy orders if it was easier to access big trucks, but at the moment you have to grind for weeks to get access to them. I'm personally standing at 130 deliveries and I'm starting to get burnt out because I love the job as part of a chilled driving side-gig on my days off work but I hate these restrictions as they currently are. I'd happily work long, lone hauls out of the city into the county exclusively (and I mostly do on my Mule), but that means that on my little free time I also am never going to see a Pounder unless I decide to be cheap and use a Speedo to farm Mask/Clothing orders like a maniac.

Edited by Koko

I've known the trucking scene to be quite tedious. For me, and as stated for most people there are quite a few who simply want to get in the van and drive at excessive speeds from A to B with minimal effort to grind money. The only thing to take into account is, don't lower yourself to those in statement - keep yourself IC and focus on your own roleplay. If you're doing it well, then there's no reason for you to stoop down a level to address and conversate with someone who obviously doesn't want to roleplay.

It's as simple as /report them and move on, let the admins deal with the issue rather than risking yourself getting annoyed and immersing yourself in a full-blown OOC debate which could be deemed as stopping active RP and potentially could get you in trouble for using profanity (which, it can happen, it's annoying and we can all agree). If the report is moved to the forums, again, you've remained calm, composed and collected - you're free to state the case without anything coming back on you.

At the end of the day everyone who's in it to RP should carry on with how they're rolling, and filter out those who obviously aren't.

The best way to weed out bad truckers is internally. If you see someone in your own company, call them out over the radio. If they still persist, take it up with HR. If your HR doesn't do anything about the speeding, sue your company for safety violations. As for poor role-play from truckers? Tell them OOC to role-play, and if they fail to do so? Take some screenshots or a video and report them either by /report or player report.

Civilians on the street should do the same, make IC threads regarding bad trucking habits. See a Speedo going 90MPH down a residential road? Record that shit IC and harass the companies, sue them; do anything to make the trucking companies step up and realize they NEED to look at who they hire.

Edited by Woona

Splitting trucking into two jobs isn't a bad idea - but not by vans vs trucks, but rather self-employment vs company employment.

Part of the issue seems to be reward structure - not only do you receive more money the quicker you deliver, but you're also that much closer to a larger truck. I understand the idea that the more you truck, the larger a truck you'd be trusted with - but it's structured more like an MMO grind than anything resembling reality. The idea that you have to do a certain number of jobs before you can even use a particular truck, regardless of whether you personally own it, is silly. Change the incentive structure to be more in line with how it works IRL and I think we're set.

That is - if you are self-employed and own your own truck, the job works much the same as it does currently. You buy crates, you sell crates, but it's all with the truck you own (that will get towed after you're pulled over for reckless driving.) Makes the reckless driving issue much easier to manage.

If you are employed by a trucking company, you are paid by the hour for the trucking work you do up to a certain point to be determined by the company, much like how government faction pay works. The trucking company itself both pays for and receives the proceeds from the supplies sold. The driver has no incentive to get there fast apart from pressure from their company - they have an incentive to toe that line between efficiency and taking their time. Not only is this more realistic, but it encourages the behavior we want.

Scrap the truck rental company. Scrap the truck progression.

Maybe throw in differently priced materials for different sorts of businesses and restrict some deliveries to some vehicles since you're not getting a Pounder anywhere near a small business garage.

Edited by Smilesville
  • Applaud 1