Why are Copy-Paste characters allowed?

Marksman

14 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that we're here to tell stories. Why would you keep telling the exact same story over? If it wasn't good the first time, it won't be good the second, third or fourth.

We're not here to tell stories. Role-play emulates a life. Life is not a story or a narrative with clean bookends and deep messages until we extrapolate what was important and write it down later with the extensive benefit of hindsight. Honestly, the notion that your character has to assume an 'arc' to be a good character is simply wrong in a role-play medium. At its worst manifestation you end up with cliché Hollywood cut-out personalities romping around waiting to tick event boxes to fulfill some sort of pre-determined destiny that the player cannot actually ensure will happen. On the opposite spectrum you presumably have characters who never change, but are you seriously going to tell me you've never met somebody in your real-life who also seemed to never change, or an older person who was utterly set in their ways? If the representation is sound and the role-play is good, then anything beyond that is idealistic.

You simply exist, and you filter what happens and how you react to things around you through the persona you're assuming for that existence. Same as in real-life.

Edited by Exploits
  • Upvote 1

This whole thing is nonsensical with only one exception. Honestly? What if I made a character in RCRP right before moving to GTA World, the char is barely developed but I like him and want to continue on his development. It's nothing wrong. Yes, there is an issue where people cling onto a character so hard they never end the story even after the story is long overdue and end up being in like 10 different factions with the same char. But that is a flaw in roleplay quality and shouldn't be a breach of a rule.

I mentioned there is one exception to this, however, it is impersonating others. What if I take some other person's character from let's say LSRP and make exact same character here, pretend that character is the same person and then go on to do dumb development in order to OOCly get back at the player that used that name in LSRP. I think there's a problem here, but otherwise this isn't worth making a rule or even wasting time on it.

16 minutes ago, Exploits said:

We're not here to tell stories.

Sorry? Yes we are.

Roleplaying is storytelling. We're all here to tell a story. A story of our character. Each character has their own individual story. 

And that's the problem with copy-pasting. If the story of your character has already been told elsewhere, what is its purpose here? Are you going to just tell the same story again and again?

Edited by Marksman
1 minute ago, Marksman said:

And that's the problem with copy-pasting. If the story of your character has already been told elsewhere, what is its purpose here? Are you going to just tell the same story again and again?

That's impossible since RP is a group effort. If everyone played the same characters again and again and engaged in the same role-play, then maybe (and probably not even then). If you played one character in one server and remade them in another, chances are they might end up with a very different life because of their surrounding environment and the fact that they're role-playing with different people.

Comic books have been telling the stories of the same characters for decades again and again and people still find value in those.

8 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Sorry? Yes we are.

Roleplaying is storytelling. We're all here to tell a story. A story of our character. Each character has their own individual story. 

Either you have a fundamental disconnect and misunderstanding of these words, or we're arguing two separate definitions.

You play a character. By virtue of doing so, in the long arc of time, you'll have created a story. Unless your character is dead, then the story is not, in fact, over. If you're here to tell stories, then what you're looking for is a fanlit website. There you can tell a story wholly unimpeded by the dozens of other stories which go on simultaneously in GTA:W. We can't all be the protagonists of 'our' story because GTA:W is not one exclusive player or character's story being played out, but an emulation of the chaos and complexities of life. The story is not the intention, it's the result.

If your story is that your character is a university graduate who lands a job, makes millions, gets married to a gold digger, falls into drugs, and O.D.'s on speedballs at age 38, then I don't know why you'd be here role-playing, because it seems you've already decided outcomes in advance. What's your recourse if your character doesn't actually get married, or make millions? And what's the catalyst which spurs them into drug abuse? If this is all decided in advance and the actual role-play you encounter is only a thin veneer to excuse predetermined plot points you've decided far in advance, then I don't believe you're really even role-playing so much as masturbating to a fantasy.

You're meant to create a character and let the rest unfold.

Edited by Exploits
19 minutes ago, Exploits said:

We're not here to tell stories. Role-play emulates a life. Life is not a story or a narrative with clean bookends and deep messages until we extrapolate what was important and write it down later with the extensive benefit of hindsight. Honestly, the notion that your character has to assume an 'arc' to be a good character is simply wrong in a role-play medium. At its worst manifestation you end up with cliché Hollywood cut-out personalities romping around waiting to tick event boxes to fulfill some sort of pre-determined destiny that the player cannot actually ensure will happen. On the opposite spectrum you presumably have characters who never change, but are you seriously going to tell me you've never met somebody in your real-life who also seemed to never change, or an older person who was utterly set in their ways? If the representation is sound and the role-play is good, then anything beyond that is idealistic.

You simply exist, and you filter what happens and how you react to things around you through the persona you're assuming for that existence. Same as in real-life.

You're just talking semantics at this point.

Existence in RP is a story. It doesn't have to be a cookie cutter rise to fame, notoriety, or rags to riches. Existence in mediocrity is a story told by literally hundreds of millions every day. There are no boxes to check, no finality until they're gone.

But what you do what is people who shop the same character from server to server and just refuse to let go of it like it's an extension of them, the player. And I know plenty of people who've never changed. But the difference here and there is they're not manifested across several mediums in which their life essentially runs in comparison to what they did on another server. You see it often, retelling the story of that existence. That's what I don't get.

What it looks like on first glance is that the player either can't adapt to something else or isn't interested in development of a character at all.

My point is, it's okay to let a character go at some point. In fact, you should. While you might have 2 dozen cool stories from LSRP or RCRP, why not leave it there? That was their realm? Instead you have 2 dozen cool stories from other servers and it tried to be applied to this iteration of the character and I think that's wrong.

1 minute ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

But what you do what is people who shop the same character from server to server and just refuse to let go of it like it's an extension of them, the player. And I know plenty of people who've never changed. But the difference here and there is they're not manifested across several mediums in which their life essentially runs in comparison to what they did on another server. You see it often, retelling the story of that existence. That's what I don't get.

What it looks like on first glance is that the player either can't adapt to something else or isn't interested in development of a character at all.

My point is, it's okay to let a character go at some point. In fact, you should. While you might have 2 dozen cool stories from LSRP or RCRP, why not leave it there? That was their realm? Instead you have 2 dozen cool stories from other servers and it tried to be applied to this iteration of the character and I think that's wrong.

Yep, sure sounds like you don't get it.

44 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that we're here to tell stories. Why would you keep telling the exact same story over? If it wasn't good the first time, it won't be good the second, third or fourth.

Who're you to judge if it wasn't good the first time? Honestly it can only improve over time just like our roleplay. Maybe someone could portray their character better than they did before on a previous server on here. 

If I'm honest here, if you don't seem attached to a character I don't think you're doing it right. Your character is probably going to seem very dull no matter how many descriptive details you throw into your roleplay. If your character gets CKed and you don't cry over it for feel sad you're not getting into your roleplay. 

• Upvote 2
Just now, HerpToTheDerp said:

Who're you to judge if it wasn't good the first time? Honestly it can only improve over time just like our roleplay. Maybe someone could portray their character better than they did before on a previous server on here. 

If I'm honest here, if you don't seem attached to a character I don't think you're doing it right. Your character is probably going to seem very dull no matter how many descriptive details you throw into your roleplay. If your character gets CKed and you don't cry over it for feel sad you're not getting into your roleplay. 

Try illegal rp lol. Getting attached to a character is not good.

• Upvote 1