Why are Copy-Paste characters allowed?

Marksman

Because it's easy to become attached to a character you like. You might move a character over from a community that's been disbanded but you probability won't roleplay them the same way you did before. Plus I'm sure people have both their old characters and new ones. 

It's not that big of a deal unless it's being abused in some way (RPing major events from another server for instance). I don't mind it at all. 

Just now, Declan said:

if they cant take 10 mins to think of a name what makes u think they can develop a character decently 

L A R G E step in logic there.

I came over from another community and used the same "look" and name for my first character. 

I had a solid backstory, the name was catchy and I was ready to go as soon as I touched down, I'd rather use a character I'm already comfortable with and understand thoroughly to play on my first attempt at a new server than fumble around with something that could either be hit or miss.

Also try remember that names you recognize from other communities probably mean jackshit to the majority of other players, if nobody recognizes a name from a community you do and nobody cares, does that change things? Just sounds like a self-centered pet peeve tbh.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, HerpToTheDerp said:

It's not that big of a deal unless it's being abused in some way (RPing major events from another server for instance). I don't mind it at all. 

I was thinking about this further, and even then I don't necessarily see an outright issue. When we create a character, especially one who is 'born in Los Santos', you're going to have to invent a backstory that in some cases literally does not exist in the game world's history. If you create a character who "lost their parents to gang violence at the age of 14", odds are Mr. and Mrs. Malone were not two previously existing characters who birthed a child and were killed in gang violence. It would be rather absurd to expect new players, with no experience on GTA:W, to construct a character which is in meticulous keeping of in-game events anyway -- we don't keep track of everything. We make reasonable allowances all the time. Nobody gets reported for this 'falsification' because it's necessary to a degree to construct believable characters to begin with.

Edited by Exploits

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these characters for some people are often an extension of their real life persona. These are probably characters they're very attached to and care about a lot.  Some people use roleplay to cope and deal with stress. 

Now this isn't always the case, people often roleplay characters that aren't like them or aren't anything like them but for some people it helps to have these personas and OCs. 

Edited by HerpToTheDerp
Wording
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I don't think it's a bad thing. Look at Waknine distribution ring. It's no secret, it has been copy and paste from LSRP. Yet they have been such a positive addition to GTA World, bringing quality roleplay. I think people enjoy their characters and enjoy their factions but have realised other communities are falling apart. They don't want to stop their project, they want to preserve it. This is when they bring the faction to a more modern community like GTA World. If anything, we should be encouraging more people to move their projects over to GTA World. 

• Upvote 1

I've never minded reusing characters. Personally I think you should let people RP what they want & what they're best at & enjoy. As long as their RP quality is up to par. End of the day they could make a whole new name but people will still RP in their style of preference. The only time I really have a problem with it is if their RP isn't up to standard, or their "character name" is simply just a name rather than a character.

• Upvote 1

Roleplaying is escapism. If people are attached to a character or simply want to explore it again in a different universe, with different players, stories and a different environment, then there is literally zero issues so long as they don't mix events from the other server which are incompatible with GTA:W's continuity. It's a "if a tree falls down in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" kinda problem if you ask me.

I have more of a problem with people who continuously create the same character with a different name in the same RP universe, and even then, it's a minor pet peeve at most; RP is a hobby (even in it's more 'hardcore' or devoted variants, like one might describe GTA:W), not a Master's Degree in Creative Writing.

Luckily, RP is quite an elective process: if you don't like seeing familiar names from other servers, you can choose not to interact with them closely and move along.