IC Generosity on GTA:W.

yerro

3 hours ago, yerro said:

Yup, it's the same with my character and him trying to get jobs. Don't know wth you're doing and wanna work in the big city? Sure, here's the job, here's the money for your new suit, here's all you need.

It's a bit irritating since people seem to have an unchecked desire to fix things when it comes to dealing with others' characters. I.e. get a homeless person a home, etc.

I've had this same issue before. It's kind of a poor way to manage your characters money both ICly and OOCly. 

You really don't know what kind of person you're giving that money to, they could easily go buy hard drugs with that money or waste it on something else. 

I'd much rather have someone sit down, talk with my character for a bit, get to know them for half an hour to an hour. Then maybe give them a bit of cash. At least it feels earned at that point rather than a hand out and it feels like my character has gained some sort of progression, even if it's small. 

Well that's what the server staff wanted. A perfect economy. The economy is so perfect that you seriously don't have to roleplay being poor or homeless. You get 200K thrown at you for the first forty hours and after that you can just... I'm not gonna say leech on society but you can basically live off people feeling bad for you because they're so fucking rich that they can feed you and buy you things like you're their child.

This is a problem nobody talks about.

38 minutes ago, HerpToTheDerp said:

I've had this same issue before. It's kind of a poor way to manage your characters money both ICly and OOCly. 

You really don't know what kind of person you're giving that money to, they could easily go buy hard drugs with that money or waste it on something else. 

I'd much rather have someone sit down, talk with my character for a bit, get to know them for half an hour to an hour. Then maybe give them a bit of cash. At least it feels earned at that point rather than a hand out and it feels like my character has gained some sort of progression, even if it's small. 

Yeah, I'm not against charity. It's totally realistic for a specific character to feel empathy when dealing with the homeless, or financially struggling characters. Maybe they have their own experiences of being in a bad place.

It's just that the experiences I've had are so far from that tbh.

Edited by yerro
19 minutes ago, hentai! said:

Well that's what the server staff wanted. A perfect economy. The economy is so perfect that you seriously don't have to roleplay being poor or homeless. You get 200K thrown at you for the first forty hours and after that you can just... I'm not gonna say leech on society but you can basically live off people feeling bad for you because they're so fucking rich that they can feed you and buy you things like you're their child.

The numbers on the top right section of your screen shouldn't really determine whether you're poor.

3 hours ago, DLimit said:

The numbers on the top right section of your screen shouldn't really determine whether you're poor.

Right. 

But that's not what he's getting at. I've roleplayed for years both on LSRP and now here and what I tend to find with regular "RPG Lite" type of roleplayer's is that they don't really see the value in the money they posses. In a realistic situation, a generous person who wishes to give a homeless person something of use like money or food... they can maybe afford a little, I don't know maybe 10 dollars? 20 at a push? I've personally given a homeless dude ten pounds once and that homeless dude acted like I gave him a million.

We need to start taking responsibility of our money, otherwise we're simply going to end up with another LSRP situation within the next 5 years where everybody is ridiculously rich and the wealthiest people OOC control everything (even low level street criminals).

Edited by shot 2 da vein
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, shot 2 da vein said:

Right. 

But that's not what he's getting at. I've roleplayed for years both on LSRP and now here and what I tend to find with regular "RPG Lite" type of roleplayer's is that they don't really see the value in the money they posses. In a realistic situation, a generous person who wishes to give a homeless person something of use like money or food... they can maybe afford a little, I don't know maybe 10 dollars? 20 at a push? I've personally given a homeless dude ten pounds once and that homeless dude acted like I gave him a million.

We need to start taking responsibility of our money, otherwise we're simply going to end up with another LSRP situation within the next 5 years where everybody is ridiculously rich and the wealthiest people OOC control everything (even low level street criminals).

It simply won't happen, as player quality reports would be filed against "low income criminals" that are monopolizing on the market. It hasn't been an issue, at all, as money circulates very well, on this server. Most of the people producing this argument haven't even been on this server longer than three months.... the ones that are disagreeing with these claims have been on this server for years.

I've RP'd as a homeless person on numerous occasions. Once in a while, I'd receive a generous donation. Most of the time? I earn enough for a sandwich.  

Edited by DLimit
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, shot 2 da vein said:

Right. 

First and foremost, LS:RP had a terrible money generating system, aka savings. GTA:W has no such system.

Secondly, on LS:RP not everyone was rich. In fact, LS:RP's economy is somewhat similar to South Africa's economy, where you have people that can't afford to /enter a club because that $1000 entry fee is too high, some that work 8 hours a day for 20k and then a few people that can purchase one hundred houses at an avg price of 5 mil / house and have money to spare for a two businesses.

GTA:W is a lot more balanced economically speaking, with most players around 200-300k net-worth, some at ~1 million (usually the gamblers/business owners) and a few at 5m+.

Consider the fact that the average household has a $95k networth in America, and you'll see that the numbers aren't bad at all considering most expensive assets are 1-1/1-3 ratio but most inexpensive items are 1-10 on GTA:W.

Like I've said before, let people spend their money however they like. If you personally don't like it /charity it. If people keep spending like idiots, they'll be the ones begging for scrap soon since IC jobs and script-wise jobs barely pay 5k/hr.

4 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

First and foremost, LS:RP had a terrible money generating system, aka savings.

Yeah anybody who came late to the party on LS:RP doesn't understand that the economy was broken from day one and onward. I used the savings system and sat on that money for almost three years before withdrawing it for a grand total of $114,000,000 earned on $100,000. It took me another six years to burn through it, and I spent extravagantly on characters, friends, tips, etc,, but every hour I would accrue $114,000 in interest on it in the standard bank. It was completely broken. And I was on the very low end of the scale, I assure you. Last I recall Aline had something like $14,000,000,000 netting her literal millions an hour.

Edited by Exploits
On 10/19/2020 at 7:18 AM, hentai! said:

I know a couple who definitely have done this and it's kinda bad and basically halted all development for their character. 

On my end, I'm RPing a homeless character and I've gotten job offers on my first day. Some nice people gave me a phone and I was like "oh yeah" and never seen them again,  so now it's mine without any effort applied IC. I've also stolen some shoes doing this, so basically the only way to succeed is to be an asshole.

Edited by Woona