Make the $450 starter car disappear after ~10 hours of gameplay

icarusfeather

Short description: Make the $450 starter car you buy at the airport disappear after a few hours of character gameplay

Detailed description: When you make a new character, you are able to purchase a car for $450 at the airport. This vehicle is a good way to get through the tutorial, but other than that it makes no sense to have permanently. It does not go away when you buy a new car (not sure if it is a bug), and I'm not sure yet but I've been told it does not go away after 40 hours either, which is supposed to happen. The car should be taken away after about 5 to 10 hours of gameplay, as you are done with the tutorial and you've probably found a place for your character to stay.

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?: After about 5 to 10 hours of gameplay, you would probably have enough money for a bicycle but not really a vehicle. This would give players an actual reason to use taxi services to get around, and new players would be able to familiarize themselves with roleplaying on the server through interacting with taxi drivers. Other than that, it just simply does not make sense to give players a car for free that they can just keep while they farm the 40 hour paychecks.

EDIT: When I say "make it disappear" i do not mean that one day you do /vget and your car is suddenly missing. It would be clear from the tutorial that it goes away, and when you reach that certain amount of hours you would have to return it or at least be notified that it is disappeared. Someone in the comments suggested a "lease" type of system, which would also be a fair solution.

Additional information:

Edited by icarusfeather

Nah for the original suggestion, however, as it's treated as a lease - allow players to have it for the first 40 hours on the server. When they're up, notify them that their lease has expired and that they're asked to return the vehicle back to the dealership, or offer them an opportunity to buy it off, as you would with a real-life lease, for let's say 40-50% of it's original price and keep it forever if they want. Might be smart to throw a reminder every 10h or so or a line in /vstats saying how much time they have till their lease expires.

Edited by Brian

Realistically though not everyone just shows up into a city with no assets or a vehicle. This notion that people show up in a city and don't have a car or have had a life before living in Los Santos is kind of wrong. How did my character move there with no car? The starter car at least lets you role play that you moved from another city or whatever your story is realistically with a vehicle in hand. I think the starter vehicle is just fine. It can't be exploited by selling it. It doesn't hurt anyone else. What's the big deal?

Edited by Cellestine
18 minutes ago, Brian said:

Nah for the original suggestion, however, as it's treated as a lease - allow players to have it for the first 40 hours on the server. When they're up, notify them that their lease has expired and that they're asked to return the vehicle back to the dealership, or offer them an opportunity to buy it off, as you would with a real-life lease, for let's say 40-50% of it's original price and keep it forever if they want. Might be smart to throw a reminder every 10h or so or a line in /vstats saying how much time they have till their lease expires.

I agree with this.

Why should people just get a car for free permanently? First of all the system is broken, it's not working as advertised. Your car is supposed to disappear and it does not.

Just remove it all. Its a crap feature that killed the already half dead taxi community. 

New players should not be put on the same level as players with a lot of hours. The 200k starter paychecks are too much in my opinion too but the reasoning behind it is better than this new car thing. 

Edited by zaXer.
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, icarusfeather said:

Why should people just get a car for free permanently? First of all the system is broken, it's not working as advertised. Your car is supposed to disappear and it does not.

Maybe their character moved from another city and they are RP'ing having a car prior to being in Los Santos? Did my character magically move to the city with no car? Again, the notion that people should have to start out role playing not having a car or any assets to their name is just silly. Not everyone wants to start out "fresh".  It's not like the cars are great either. Most likely people will eventually sell them to upgrade to something else and even with that, they get what 20% of $450? Big deal lol. Finally, if the system is bugged, that's what bug reports are for rather than advocating to take down the entire system. Bugs can be fixed ?

Edited by Cellestine
10 minutes ago, Cellestine said:

Maybe their character moved from another city and they are RP'ing having a car prior to being in Los Santos? Again, the notion that people should start out role playing not having a car or any assets to their name is just silly. Not everyone wants to start out "fresh".  It's not like the cars are great either. Most likely they will sell them to upgrade to something else eventually and even with that, they get what.... 20% of $450? Big deal lol. Finally, if the system is bugged, that's what bug reports are for rather than advocating to take down the entire system. Bugs can be fixed ?

First of all I'm not saying to remove the $450 car. When you have about 5-10 hours that is at least 25,000 or 50,000 which can buy you one of the cheap cars. Secondly, there are rental cars still on the server which you can use to get around.

As you say nobody wants to start fresh, why not just give people 200k as soon as they spawn in? Everyone on the server has to make their way up the same way thru 40 hours of (hopefully) roleplay. The $450 dollar car barely adds anything to the server other than a way for people to get through the tutorial and ignore taxi service completely.

37 minutes ago, Brian said:

40 minutes ago, Brian said:

I could agree with this as a compromise for both sides.

• mj2002 locked this topic