Characters that call 911 when suiciding

Zani

5 minutes ago, xdthe said:

See this is where you have to draw the line for offensive roleplay. Sexual and erotic roleplay is one thing, as it also prevents pedophiles from roleplaying with minors on the server, and also has good reasoning behind it. However, once you start suggesting roleplays such as suicides should be classified as offensive roleplay, this server will slowly start having a mindset of, if it's even emotionally sensitive or covers the dark parts of real life, it should be classified as offensive RP. If you genuinely have a problem with witnessing ingame suicides, dis involve yourself from the scene, unless you are a first responder responding to the suicide, you are under no obligation to be at the scene. Instead of trying to impose regulations on other players, instead dis involve yourself from the roleplay.

The difference is that you don’t have the option to walk away.

This isn’t a scenario that’s happened but let’s say my characters best friend suddenly decides to commit suicide because they broke up with their partner and rather than just CK, they decide to poorly act out a suicide drama because of this instance.

Its not just the first responders that are ‘forced’ to deal with their drama, it’s their friends if they’re online too - and any colleagues as well. It’s nothing but selfish RP on a topic that clearly strikes strong emotions such as rape and other offensive topics.

And that’s why I think it should fall under offensive rules.

Just now, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

It's not the thing about them not being able to deal with it OOC as a first responder. It's the thing about this time consuming spectacle that generally speaking awful characters make and as first responder RPers, we're obligated to respond and stay on scene while they carry out a half assed, poorly thought out predisposed end to the story. Nobody's in their feelings about it. They just don't want to waste a good chunk of their night dealing with a mall rat jumper. I sympathize with it.

Oh no, I agree with that point. I was just stating that if you want to ban suicide RPs because you cannot emotionally handle it as a first responder, leave your job. Many times roleplayers will rush suicide RPs and poorly roleplay the scenes. So I absolutely agree with the point that first responders' time is often wasted because of these poorly roleplayed suicide scenes.

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Can we please, as a community, agree that we shouldn't go down the slippery slope of banning roleplay that may or may not be offensive? If anything suicide is almost never properly roleplayed, I'd throw it on roleplay quality or lack thereof.

Offensive RP isn’t banned, it requires consent. 

there is a difference.

I just think if you’re going to draw me into some huge dark emotional RP, I at least should expect to agree to be a willing participant.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
3 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

It's not the thing about them not being able to deal with it OOC as a first responder. It's the thing about this time consuming spectacle that generally speaking awful characters make and as first responder RPers, we're obligated to respond and stay on scene while they carry out a half assed, poorly thought out predisposed end to the story. Nobody's in their feelings about it. They just don't want to waste a good chunk of their night dealing with a mall rat jumper. I sympathize with it.

This sums it up.

Just now, Alyssa McCarthy said:

The difference is that you don’t have the option to walk away.

This isn’t a scenario that’s happened but let’s say my characters best friend suddenly decides to commit suicide because they broke up with their partner and rather than just CK, they decide to poorly act out a suicide drama because of this instance.

Its not just the first responders that are ‘forced’ to deal with their drama, it’s their friends if they’re online too - and any colleagues as well. It’s nothing but selfish RP on a topic that clearly strikes strong emotions such as rape and other offensive topics.

And that’s why I think it should fall under offensive rules.

See, this is the issue, we can't just start banning every type of roleplay which is emotionally gritty or covers the dark parts about real life. This is a roleplay server, meant to portray real life Los Angeles. In real life LA, suicides do occur, granted not as frequent as we see in GTA:World (which is an issue because suicide RPs are often roleplayed poorly). When you start making regulations because one or two people are displeased with a topic, it will just ruin the server. The more you try to regulate what people can and can't do, the more dry roleplay becomes. If game management were to ban every type of even remotely dark or emotional roleplay, this server would not be the same. If you have an issue with your friend roleplaying such dark topics, then why don't you just tell him/her OOCly I don't like that type of roleplays. 

Just now, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

You're moving for a new classification of an already existing rule. And frankly it's a classification that you can actually just walk away from instead of screaming for a rule change.

Couldn't have said it better myself.