Cost of living automatically removed discussed.

Legate

55 minutes ago, effion said:

No. This was a disgusting idea, It's a forced RPG element. 

Anything automatic forced on your character when you have no say on it could be considered RPG. I'd rather the script force my character to eat rather than charge all players a random amount of money for the sake of charging and nothing else. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
18 minutes ago, Gryphboi said:

Different characters have different lifestyles and assets, and that's without accounting individual RP that's included in that. GTAW's economy is already flawed in the sense that some things are priced based on subjective analysis like "oh this car LOOKS nice, even tho its a basic model domestic car with subpar performance, so I'll price it at $348K". To implement any form of automated cost of living you'd need to rework the entire in-game economy from the ground up, just to keep things fair for everybody.

basically this, because of this i'm against it tbh. i'd rather not have the script constantly forcing its way into everything, there's enough  cost of living between cars and maintaining/insuring them imo.

a cool idea i've always played with in my head though is this; (i dont know if it would work well or not, but maybe)

take away the starter 200K so 200K isn't planted in the economy every time someone makes a new character and that'll  force more people into working and roleplaying while the rest of the server starts to supply it with their money as well and those millions start getting circulated a little more (if it goes well) would IMO be a good idea. That initial 200K incites so much poor RP choices imo. There's enough rentable places or cheap asf places that people can properly save up or just live with people until they're able to afford smth of their own. If a lot of people complain, well, we can turn that into an ic issue with government funding like welfare etc to give more involvement with government RPers too and so the politicians and what not can work toward actually bringing some form of help to the low income population of LS on a more literal meaning by helping them get the funds to have a home etc as well as people mooching off it like people do irl.

In terms of home maintenance, maybe if you own a home, have it detract like 100-200 on the lower end and like 400-500 on the higher end (i.e vinewood hills or chumash homes) from your hourly checks? That way it doesn't rape your bank but it also still hits your income, and pretty harshly if you're living the lavish lifestyle since taxes from having a lot of money + the home would mean you wouldn't really be earning from hourly checks but having to actually work. In general though, I wouldn't want it. We're on a roleplay server, not a cops and robbers server. There's enough taxing money already from the vehicles alone that's already on a highly unrealistic level, I'd rather not have houses just making every single person homeless because they're too much to handle without spending playing the server like it's a job. There's a line between realism and fun that eventually starts causing people to quit or just start making lazy characters where they only come on if a friend invites them on. I think this would be pushing that line a bit much tbh.

Edited by ?????????
54 minutes ago, ????????? said:

I'd rather not have houses just making every single person homeless because they're too much to handle without spending playing the server like it's a job. There's a line between realism and fun that eventually starts causing people to quit or just start making lazy characters where they only come on if a friend invites them on. I think this would be pushing that line a bit much tbh.

This.

The basic asset taxes already leave some players with with a $500 hourly paycheck or less. You have to leave people an option to be able to exist, play, & throw a little money at the rp economy (shops, bars, drugs, etc) without having to grind for it.

You already create your own cost of living by how much you spend on your house, car insurance, repairs, gas, clubs, drinks, drugs, guns, clothing shop addiction, etc.

Edited by Havana
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2

If we remove the 200K for new players, we gotta take away 200K from everyones bank account to make it fair right?

I would give the money to employers to hire people instead of just giving the money directly to players. 

People say... working rp is boring, why would you rp working when you work irl? Well I doubt you are a fight instructor, a pilot, an actor, a teacher, etc irl. We can always make work rp to be fun

2 hours ago, ????????? said:

take away the starter 200K so 200K isn't planted in the economy every time someone makes a new character and that'll  force more people into working and roleplaying while the rest of the server starts to supply it with their money as well and those millions start getting circulated a little more (if it goes well) would IMO be a good idea. That initial 200K incites so much poor RP choices imo. There's enough rentable places or cheap asf places that people can properly save up or just live with people until they're able to afford smth of their own. If a lot of people complain, well, we can turn that into an ic issue with government funding like welfare etc to give more involvement with government RPers too and so the politicians and what not can work toward actually bringing some form of help to the low income population of LS on a more literal meaning by helping them get the funds to have a home etc as well as people mooching off it like people do irl.

The problem is that not everyone is on the game to play a rags to riches story. I feel like a character should be able to start the game without being completely destitute and working menial jobs to survive while living in the slum. I think that's what the initial 200k are for, to represent that a character who isn't homeless or a South LS teen would probably have at least a car in a city like LS, maybe even a place of their own (probably rented, but still!)

If someone wants to play poor, they can just ignore the money or, if having the money is affecting how they RP, just use the command to give it to charity, and do the same with part of the paychecks they'd get by regularly working at an IC job, which are kind of overinflated a lot of the time.

41 minutes ago, Angela said:

If we remove the 200K for new players, we gotta take away 200K from everyones bank account to make it fair right?

I would give the money to employers to hire people instead of just giving the money directly to players. 

People say... working rp is boring, why would you rp working when you work irl? Well I doubt you are a fight instructor, a pilot, an actor, a teacher, etc irl. We can always make work rp to be fun

That $200K bonus for new players comes from the in-game govt bank as far as I know. Even if people spend it on something as simple as a car and its insurance, the money goes back into the economy.

A good alternative would be to give players more options when it comes to that money, such as:
-Selecting the amount of money from that $200K pool they'd like to start with, anything from $0 to $50K or the whole thing. This along with a "no hourly paychecks" option can help people create homeless/low income characters, giving the different NGOs and homeless shelters across LS more things to do (maybe even a welfare system that people have to RP with)

-Losing a chunk of that $200K bonus, but you can choose any properties in the 90-120K range around the map so you can start with a home. This solves the "I'm gonna use my $200K to buy a sports car instead of a home" issue that's been plaguing the server for a long time.

Wiping/removing people's assets won't fix the economy. The real issue's the lack of common sense when it comes to spending money on things, so until that's fixed I doubt we'll see people with realistic standards when it comes to personal finances.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
9 hours ago, effion said:

No. This was a disgusting idea, It's a forced RPG element. 

Quickly are the days of rampant money glitches and further deliberate economy destabilization coming to this server, all just to make it the reality that we used GTAW to escape from in the first place.

I am in agreement. There is only so much realism that can be expected before it makes visiting the server an unenjoyable chore are opposed to a genuinely fun experience.