A Modest Prison Proposal: Expand and Enrich Incarceration RP

Leschinsky

Short description:

Two changes to help Prison RP be more engaging!

-With the new, more secure Visitation area, allow visits without a guard present.
-Implement a realistic Job system within the prison.

Detailed description:
Hi! So, just two ideas I've been spit-balling to make Prison RP a little less of a grind, and to encourage RP on the inside.

-Guardless Visitation
I've personally had a lot of interactions with the current visitation system... it's not really fun. For anyone involved. The visitors have to sit and wait for a guard, a guard has to stop what they're doing to come stand in a corner, and the prisoner gets thirty minutes of engagement.
It's a pain in the butt for not a lot of pay off! It also really hurts people with different schedules and time zones, which is quite a few players.
But with the new Visitation area and it's security glass, I think allowing free visits would be reasonable! No smuggling or confrontations that would require a guard (and the alert system would be useful if something did happen; loud arguments, banging on the glass, etc.)
Just a suggestion, with the higher security, it'd free up players to RP more with the incarceration system.

-Prison Work
Add a job or two within the prison! Like, a script job. The prisoners earn some Commissary money while RPing, it's something to do besides waiting in the common area for idle chit chat, and adds a dose of realism to the jail!
Potentially include a mechanic where the prisoner reduces their sentence as well for their work? Increase the 3x multiplier to 4x or 5x while actively working?
As for the script jobs themselves, three feasible ones would be;

-Janitor:
Keep the jailhouse sparkling! Something akin to the Garbage Truck script system; get sent to a location, perform the action (unclog toilet, sweep area, bleach showers).
Actively RPing it all of course! This could also encourage use of some of the lesser-travelled areas in the jail, Showers and Chapel and what-not.
-Commissary Clerk:
Gotta get your ramen somehow! Script wise, it'd be like any Business job. Start shift, RP sales, a % of selling items, etc.
-Laundry:
Clothes folding, the ultimate punishment. But, akin to the Janitor/Garbage jobs, get assigned tasks and RP completing them. Start load, fold clothes, sort dirty stuff. That sort of thing.

Obviously, not just any prisoner can get these allowances; have them apply for the jobs either IC or on the Forums. SD can check their records and make a decision. Adds some motivation to be a well-behaved prisoner! So the lady who had a fender-bender with a cop car isn't in the exact same boat as the repeated offender violent cop killer.

Commands to add:
Script job commands for the three jobs!
/wash, /sweep, etc.

Items to add:
Nothing I can really think of!

How would your suggestion improve the server?
Add some depth, motivation, and realism to the current Prison system without requiring a drastic overhaul. Make it worthwhile to do prison RP!

Additional information:
I saw some other threads about Prison suggestions, but thought that a milder one would be a good step forward, because, as it is... no one really likes RPing jail time, which is a shame, because there's a lot of potentially cool stories from it.
Thank you for reading, have a great day.

• Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, Shekh said:

there should be a woodworks job so u can rp sneaking out hammers and shit

Ain’t no one sneaking hammers unless they want the whole prison in lockdown bro, you steal scraps and shit to make shanks. But yeah for sure great idea.

Guardless visitation is just unrealistic imo. Although I understand the reason of it, I think most people in the system would prefer realism over unrealism. Plus, people smuggle stuff in all the time. I think the guards should be given a fair chance to role play this with the inmates. As for prison work, that system is already in place, sorta. I do think they need to add more jobs, but the SD are constantly doing work detail to keep the jail active. I don't think if you do a job your sentence should be cut down though. RP already cuts your sentence down 3x. Basically doing a /me a minute I think it is. But I think the jobs listed would be cool to add for better RP, as well as wood work jobs like Shekh said. But as for the last part, I disagree with that. I think more drastic steps need to be taken before moderate ones. New clothing system, tattoo system, barber system are all some things to add, before I believe stuff like this should take place. As of current tho, the only people really not enjoying their jail time are people who don't RP or don't want to RP with the cars and racial politics in jail. A good thing to add is that I do see a lot more activity in jail then I used to see when it first came out.

• mj2002 locked this topic