Limit RNG RP

Matthew

I think I've only ever used the coin flip script when my character actually couldn't decide on something and decided to use that coin flip app, ICly. Using /coin to determine the outcome of your roleplay is bad in 95% of cases, and even worse if done in a scenario where other players might be involved.  If the script itself is not removed, it should most definitely be against the rules to use the command to determine the outcome of a roleplay scenario.

Edited by Brian
16 minutes ago, navarrette said:

DISALLOW? Why? Some people like to have RNG decide the outcome of a certain situation. Let people have their fun.

That shouldn’t be the case lmao, roleplay your characters realistically, that in itself is just a play to win attitude, your character is human, not a Marvel superhero, take responsibility and roleplay losing sometimes, roleplay winning sometimes, a script shouldn’t have to be the judge jury and the executioner for your roleplay situations and ability.

Your character either does or doesn't. /coin is just some eloquent way of subtituing "would", which has no place in an emote anyway. Coin for loss or gain when engaged in roleplay with other parties just constitutes a way to powergame. 

Each action requires a reaction and the simplest example are fights. Emote a hit, wait for response, then go from there. Same for everything else. 

The script command is fine but allowing it to fly by as a denominator of success or fail for emotes shouldn't be acceptable. 

Edited by liq

Different types of RP styles. Not everyone RPs the same way you do, simple answer.

Some people like to use luck to dictate the outcome of some actions, that for example would otherwise fail or could be considered powergame under some scenarios. (See: I jump from a one-story building to land on something. I roll to see if I fail the jump and break something or I land it. If I do it OOC, I can either miraculously land correctly on my feet, or slip, fall and break a leg.)

I'm against disallowing it for actions. If you have total control over your character and know the ins and outs of what your character can and can't do, good for you. I like to keep my characters human, meaning you don't know the exact outcome of everything you do, they have flaws and won't always land the punch they direct at someone else, or even something as simple as throwing a paper ball at a trash can. I don't know if it'll land or fail, I have no vision on my left eye, my depth perception is fucked compared to others, I purely rely on luck.

No. Disallowing is bad. Different styles of RP for different styles of people.

Edited by Sim
  • Upvote 1

It's important to remember that GTA:W comes to many as a melting pot of different roleplaying styles. People come from SA:MP, Garry's Mod, Conan Exiles, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and other platforms. If it's an immediate bother, I see no reason why one can't work this out with the player in /pm on-scene if it's so terribly bad. I don't use it, and it's not my style. But all the same, I don't mind others using it.

• Upvote 1

how many trash suggestions gonna distract admins from a decent ones 
roleplay on any different platforms always relied on random chances in certain circumstances

People should instead roleplay out the situation and think of how their character would realistically perform

there's no random in real life for sure
 ?

There is random in real life, yes, of course, however in-game it shouldn't be determined by a script command that can be used to put you at an unfair advantage or disadvantage, or straight up force an action on someone. I personally never use it OOCly to determine the outcome of my roleplay, but I don't mind if people use it if they roleplay let's say watching a game on TV, to determine what team would win or something so miniscule and unimportant, but then again that can also be roleplayed using simple emotes. When it comes to actually important decisions, and especially interacting with other players, in my personal opinion one should never relay on the script. You know your character, the other person knows their character, I'm sure you'll do fine working out an in-character scenario without having to relay on a script function to tell you what to do. Also also, when it comes to fighting or any other activity where you can put yourself at an actual unfair advantage (or disadvantage) over another player by using /coin, you should never ever ever relay on it and honestly it should straight-up be against the rules. My point being, yes, there is random in real life, but you can have random situations (from an in-character perspective) happen through actual roleplay and without having to relay on the script to tell you what to do. It's as easy as doing /me tries to start the engine. It fails. Or whatever is applicable to the situation you're in.

Edited by Brian
  • Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic