"Random" Interactions

negs

I have only recently started playing GTAW more (I registered in 2017(?) but rarely logged on). As I have spent more time on the server, I have noticed that, at least for me, it is extremely hard to find random people to roleplay with. I never see anyone roleplaying outdoors so that people can engage in roleplay with them. Everyone seems to roleplay behind closed doors. More specifically, it's hard to get involved with any sort of group, unless you already have connections - but making those connections in the first place is the difficult thing.

Am I just not looking hard enough? Am I looking in the wrong places? I am struggling to find people to roleplay with.  Is there anything I could do that would help me?

Edited by negs
  • Upvote 1

I had this issue early when I first started. The way I ended up making it was just going to a business opening, and just chatting someone random up while making a purchase or something, eventually you see that person again at a different place, and boom. That person introduces you to someone else, and before you know it you find yourself roleplaying with people. 

Your mileage may vary, so I'm hoping that I can give some solace. I've been role-playing for a long time and I can truthfully say that this environment has given me the opportunity to really break out into more random and strange encounters. What works for me is just throwing myself into a situation and seeing what happens. 'Would my character walk up to a group of thugs? No, but he may walk by kicking a can along the road and it accidentally moves towards their direction.' Roleplay is a two way street, and as a veteran, I'll gladly be the one to initiate contact (then again, I'm an extrovert). 

Tldr : We are all here to Roleplay. Do not be afraid to embarrass yourself - hell, my character goes to bars and ask for a glass of milk for giggles. He pays for the milk, but it gets an interesting conversation going. 

I hope this helps, and please feel free to reach out! 

5 hours ago, Sploit said:

Your mileage may vary, so I'm hoping that I can give some solace. I've been role-playing for a long time and I can truthfully say that this environment has given me the opportunity to really break out into more random and strange encounters. What works for me is just throwing myself into a situation and seeing what happens. 'Would my character walk up to a group of thugs? No, but he may walk by kicking a can along the road and it accidentally moves towards their direction.' Roleplay is a two way street, and as a veteran, I'll gladly be the one to initiate contact (then again, I'm an extrovert). 

Tldr : We are all here to Roleplay. Do not be afraid to embarrass yourself - hell, my character goes to bars and ask for a glass of milk for giggles. He pays for the milk, but it gets an interesting conversation going. 

I hope this helps, and please feel free to reach out! 

I have also been roleplaying for many years and am also happy to initiate the roleplay. I am strictly talking about initiating roleplay on this server. That is, I find it hard to find the people who initiate roleplay with (I see no gang members outside on the corner, for example. Most people tend to roleplay behind closed doors, is what I mean. Unless I'm not looking hard enough).

Edited by negs

I mean, joining a faction or even a company can help you out a lot. Pick what you'd like your character to be, stick with that and you'll find yourself people to play with fairly quickly. There's countless other possibilities but those are the easiest way to get in contact with others, at least in my opinion.

1 hour ago, negs said:

I have also been roleplaying for many years and am also happy to initiate the roleplay. I am strictly talking about initiating roleplay on this server. That is, I find it hard to find the people who initiate roleplay with (I see no gang members outside on the corner, for example. Most people tend to roleplay behind closed doors, is what I mean. Unless I'm not looking hard enough).

Oh, I see what you are talking about now.

I think it is a matter of opportunity to engage in a roleplay session. There are times I've seen guys hanging out on the corners around the Jefferson section of Los Santos. I'm more than positive that folks would engage in an RP session if the chance presented itself. However, some times, the only real way to get into an RP is to be the spark of it.

1 hour ago, negs said:

Is there any specific gang you’re looking for? Time zones and events play a huge role on whether people post up outside or not. It’s also just a matter of getting to know a few people to be able to keep track of where everyone’s at. 

4 hours ago, Brian said:

I mean, joining a faction or even a company can help you out a lot. Pick what you'd like your character to be, stick with that and you'll find yourself people to play with fairly quickly. There's countless other possibilities but those are the easiest way to get in contact with others, at least in my opinion.

I have roleplayed with two factions, but both were ran by old friends, so they invited me to play (which is why I started playing GTAW recently). I tried to join another faction but just could not find them around. From what I have noticed, much of the "getting involved with a faction" is a matter of joining their Discord server and going from there, which I'm also happy to do. Though I am not sure how to initiate that type of conversation (should I PM the faction leaders on the forums?). With that being said, I hope it is possible to roleplay *with* a faction, *without* joining them. I am not interested in becoming a member of a faction, because of the restriction of roleplay it seems to have. 

Thank you for all your responses though. I will try and be more active on the forums so I am more in touch with the factions and where they roleplay.

For those interested: I am from Australia, so my time zone is Oceania (GMT+9:30). If you are active around this time zone, and want to roleplay, please PM me. Some nights I stay up late too, so I often play with Europeans too (in their morning/day). But I don't really play in the mornings or during the day. 

IG name: Bog Hammarskjold.

29 minutes ago, negs said:

I have roleplayed with two factions, but both were ran by old friends, so they invited me to play (which is why I started playing GTAW recently). I tried to join another faction but just could not find them around. From what I have noticed, much of the "getting involved with a faction" is a matter of joining their Discord server and going from there, which I'm also happy to do. Though I am not sure how to initiate that type of conversation (should I PM the faction leaders on the forums?). With that being said, I hope it is possible to roleplay *with* a faction, *without* joining them. I am not interested in becoming a member of a faction, because of the restriction of roleplay it seems to have. 

Thank you for all your responses though. I will try and be more active on the forums so I am more in touch with the factions and where they roleplay.

For those interested: I am from Australia, so my time zone is Oceania (GMT+9:30). If you are active around this time zone, and want to roleplay, please PM me. Some nights I stay up late too, so I often play with Europeans too (in their morning/day). But I don't really play in the mornings or during the day. 

IG name: Bog Hammarskjold.

If you're interested in any faction send the leaders a PM. There is no real "restriction or roleplay" that's mandated by factions, any restriction is most likely made naturally by the character you've chosen to portray.