Everything being a bar

Mahiko

16 minutes ago, Mahiko said:

I'm pretty sure there's a variation of the bar script with createitem? However on wages there's not much to do, there was a big amount of abuse on the 4k paychecks hence why they've been removed ?

Yeah, I get both sides of the issue, but on a server where

• Mechanics make between 50 to 80k an hour on average.
  • Car dealers make between 20 to 40k an hour on average.
  • Pawn brokers make between 10 to 25k an hour on average (and are allowed to /openbusiness for an extra 20k)
  • People RPing sex shops or jewelry stores can magically pull items out of their ass for $50 which they sell for anywhere from $500 to $50,000 and make 20-30k an hour on average.

I get that there might be abuses happening in the cracks, but when some players are easily making 100k+ a day from their roleplay, I am not too sure clutching at pearls to prevent someone from making 12-32k/day (in exchange for three or more hours of roleplaying a business open to the server) is the right move. Especially when we're not even allowed to roleplay being wealthy or owning more than a few assets, so it's not like excessive amounts of money are good for anything. 

Hell, people can go get an automatic job at a 24/7 without needing to roleplay any interview process or anything, and they can be making $4,000 an hour plus making 30% of all sales. If someone buys a $5,000 mask, that's a $1,500 bonus. 24/7 employees can easily make 8-12k an hour, which is what someone RPing in a restaurant kitchen makes the whole opening.

As it stands in my case with the gastropub for instance, for us to have an opening, our kitchen staff first needs to spend approximately a full hour roleplaying prep work. There's also more work that goes into it ICly before that, with our executive chef coming up with recipes, brainstorming menus (which we fully roleplay), acquiring ingredients, catching fish or purchasing meat from RPers playing butchers. Then, during the opening, every single item is actually realistically roleplayed being cooked. Someone ordering an entree means that a waiter needs to take the order, ICly run the order to the kitchen, the kitchen needs to grab the ingredients and prepped goods and work as a team with IC communication to create this item, then to plate it, and then it needs to be ICly run back over. One dish that we're charging only a few hundred bucks for takes about 10+ minutes of roleplay involving 3-5 people who I must pay $4,000+ an hour out of my pocket to make it worth their while. That means it costs me more than $2,000 to serve a player a dish at my establishment.

I personally do not care about profiting. I really don't. But I also understand that a business model where I'm paying $50,000+ out of pocket for a business which makes virtually no money (especially compared to other business types in the game which make upwards of 300k/day) is not sustainable. I will keep opening this brewery/gastropub and providing awesome RP for people, but there will come a time when I will not be able to afford it anymore, at which point the project will have to close. 

PM can prevent all of this by just allowing us to use the restaurant script instead of the bar/nightclub script, but no such luck.

Edited by Ink
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Ink said:

Yeah, I get both sides of the issue, but on a server where

• Mechanics make between 50 to 80k an hour on average.
  • Car dealers make between 20 to 40k an hour on average.
  • Pawn brokers make between 10 to 25k an hour on average (and are allowed to /openbusiness for an extra 20k)
  • People RPing sex shops or jewelry stores can magically pull items out of their ass for $50 which they sell for anywhere from $500 to $50,000 and make 20-30k an hour on average.

I get that there might be abuses happening in the cracks, but when some players are easily making 100k+ a day from their roleplay, I am not too sure clutching at pearls to prevent someone from making 12-32k/day (in exchange for three or more hours of roleplaying a business open to the server) is the right move. Especially when we're not even allowed to roleplay being wealthy or owning more than a few assets, so it's not like excessive amounts of money are good for anything. 

As it stands in my case with the gastropub for instance, for us to have an opening, our kitchen staff first needs to spend approximately a full hour roleplaying prep work. There's also more work that goes into it ICly before that, with our executive chef coming up with recipes, brainstorming menus (which we fully roleplay), acquiring ingredients, catching fish or purchasing meat from RPers playing butchers. Then, during the opening, every single item is actually realistically roleplayed being cooked. Someone ordering an entree means that a waiter needs to take the order, ICly run the order to the kitchen, the kitchen needs to grab the ingredients and prepped goods and work as a team with IC communication to create this item, then to plate it, and then it needs to be ICly run back over. One dish that we're charging only a few hundred bucks for takes about 10+ minutes of roleplay involving 3-5 people who I must pay $4,000+ out of my pocket to make it worth their while. That means it costs me more than $2,000 to serve a player a dish at my establishment.

I personally do not care about profiting. I really don't. But I also understand that a business model where I'm paying $50,000+ out of pocket for a business which makes virtually no money (especially compared to other business types in the game which make upwards of 300k/day) is not sustainable. I will keep opening this brewery/gastropub and providing awesome RP for people, but there will come a time when I will not be able to afford it anymore, at which point the project will have to close. 

PM can prevent all of this by just allowing us to use the restaurant script instead of the bar/nightclub script, but no such luck.

Car dealers have been hit with a tax, jewelry stores are being watched and can't just create obnoxious items anymore (see lack of rolex's floating everywhere) so we just need mechanics and pawnstores to be settled.

2 minutes ago, Mahiko said:

Car dealers have been hit with a tax, jewelry stores are being watched and can't just create obnoxious items anymore (see lack of rolex's floating everywhere) so we just need mechanics and pawnstores to be settled.

The 20-40k/hr figure is after the change in tax.

Jewelry stores are still selling $15,000+ items. As far as I know, the biggest regulation at the moment is that they must list MV in the /createitem.

There still stands this point:

Hell, people can go get an automatic job at a 24/7 without needing to roleplay any interview process or anything, and they can be making $4,000 an hour plus making 30% of all sales. If someone buys a $5,000 mask, that's a $1,500 bonus. 24/7 employees can easily make 8-12k an hour, which is what someone RPing in a restaurant kitchen makes the whole opening.

Also, aren't you making this thread asking for people to create businesses which aren't bars? This is from the perspective of someone who has spent the last 3 months roleplaying opening up a restaurant.

Edited by Ink
3 minutes ago, Ink said:

The 20-40k/hr figure is after the change in tax.

Jewelry stores are still selling $15,000+ items. As far as I know, the biggest regulation at the moment is that they must list MV in the /createitem.

There still stands this point:

Also, aren't you making this thread asking for people to create businesses which aren't bars? This is from the perspective of someone who has spent the last 3 months roleplaying opening up a restaurant.

And no, I'm not asking people to make other things than bars. (Personally I've been running different dining places with success for a while now without running it as a bar)  What this thread is a suggestion for is regulation on what people can do with their businesses, and instead of having a 'meta' that is having a ton of bars. We should promote regular businesses and stop this culture of turning everything into a bar.

Seeing a Ground & Pound Cafe with a cocktail bar is the funniest shit I've seen. Ridiculous, but funny. I think the issue is that many (not all) people want instant gratification. If they don't see profit in the first two weeks, they get discouraged. If you are consistent with your RP and openings, people will eventually just come there to role play. It takes time to build a loyal following who know the name and when you open. People abandon their ideas too quickly and then turn to the ordinary bar idea in order to make money quickly. On the same front, when it costs more to run the place with employees than the money you bring in because of server limitations, that is also an issue.

Edited by Cellestine