Smell Feature + New business type

Cody F.

Do you want to see this implemented?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I originally thought it could be nice but the more I thought about it, the more I went off it.  And I think the main reason is, if somebody has an interest in advertising a particular smell, they are self motivated to do a /do every so often at their choosing.  There is no need for them to buy an item to achieve it, and they can be creative in the /do as they desire (for example, they can say the perfume is apricot and elderflower if they wish, without needing some specific item).  Generally I just don't think things that can be RP'd by a human should be scripted unless there's a good reason.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I think the development cost (limited time of the developers who could be adding other things) vs reward isn't favourable.

1 hour ago, Paenymion said:

I originally thought it could be nice but the more I thought about it, the more I went off it.  And I think the main reason is, if somebody has an interest in advertising a particular smell, they are self motivated to do a /do every so often at their choosing.  There is no need for them to buy an item to achieve it, and they can be creative in the /do as they desire (for example, they can say the perfume is apricot and elderflower if they wish, without needing some specific item).  Generally I just don't think things that can be RP'd by a human should be scripted unless there's a good reason.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I think the development cost (limited time of the developers who could be adding other things) vs reward isn't favourable.

Clever point to highlight.. The question to ask is, from where are we supposed to generate those smells if we weren't able to buy such perfumed products.. I can be motivated to do a /do, but it can't be enough since players aren't really familiar with how a smell system works, so I'm one  hundred percent sure that one /do won't be enough unless if it was scripted with a special formatting. Add to that, it will be mainly considered as PG, in my opinion. I won't imagine having a fragrance if I didn't originally buy it somewhere.

Other than that, imagine being able to smell a fire from a quite far range, instead of admins being forced to let all players know OOCly..

As I previously stated, the point is about using all your character's senses, if it's always at our choosing, no one will care about it, unless for critical roleplay situations.

But again, thanks for your input!

Edited by Cody F.
  • Upvote 1

Sorry bro but I think that that can be done with one simple /me or /my when needed. Saves the development team's time and effort and I don't really see many people using it. And to be honest I don't really want to pull up to scenes and see an automatic * Name Surname is wearing a vanilla scent parfume emote when it's not important to thr scenario at hand and when it's just one of those details that's not much needed.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:54 AM, Cody F. said:

This system can also be customized to include any flowers or any bad smells (i.e. trash, fart, etc..).

I can already see this being abused by some simpleton spamming chat with the new fart command. Just put it in your attributes if your character would have a certain smell. 

• mj2002 locked this topic