The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

Just now, Cellestine said:

At the same time though, the guy pulled and shot a gun in a very public place at someone who simply ignored him. He didn't insult the guy or escalate the situation. He just dipped. I'd argue that the escalation was highly unnecessary and poor portrayal at the very least. I'd say both sides have an issue there.

Yeah it did look really sub-par.

2 hours ago, MCB666 said:

Here's some cool flicks of people not roleplaying gun fear.

https://streamable.com/nct2bb

https://streamable.com/avys3o

I honestly don't care about reporting them cause I know soon enough they'll get caught for it.

I think that second clip is the kind of activity  people aren't really happy with. A gun was just pulled and fired on a heavy tourist attraction during broad daylight with an active PD station just down the road and an active lifeguard tower just below it. Should the guy have showed some fear? Possibly, but a gun shouldn't have even been pulled out in that situation unless your life was in direct danger. Feel like both sides seem to have their issues the way I see it. 

Edited by Ezrya
  • Applaud 1
3 minutes ago, Ezrya said:

I think that second clip is what people aren't really happy with. A gun was just pulled and fired on a heavy tourist attraction during broad daylight with an active PD station just down the road and an active lifeguard tower just below it. Should the guy have showed some fear? Possibly, but a gun shouldn't have even been pulled out in that situation unless your life was in direct danger. Feel like both sides seem to have their issues the way I see it. 

Yeah, that situation looks pretty whack on both sides.

Yeah I honestly do not agree, Vespuci is not that much of a RICH area than you think it is.

Counterfeit Cash Factory Vespucci Canals - GTA Online Properties Database -  Grand Theft Auto V

This is Vespucci, based on Santa Monica and Venice Beach.

62f47fda928b35ee7d7ea987ef531190.png

This is the IRL spot where multiple gangs are obviously present. One of them being Culver City Boys 13.

You can even see that the map is based on the IRL Los Angeles. 

There are even gangs that are in the Hollywood Hills area or even Chinatown wich is upper middle class.

So I wouldn't be complaining when you don't even know what you are talking about.

• Upvote 1

I live and role-play in Vespucci and have done for the last 3-4 months. I role-play with multiple people and could be considered as a "Gang" even though we don't have a thread. I've role-played with Culver City many times and haven't had that many issues, a few stupid things that have come up from a few of their members but nothing I would report them about... I've role-played with CWB and other skinhead factions that RP in Vespucci and never had any issues. A lot of the people in Vespucci that I've come across generally look to have a local community and even though their gangs the issues are minimal and they barely trouble anyone unless you trouble them or unless you're doing something stupid and deserve to get checked for. I've had more issues with people travelling into Vespucci from Davis and other areas that's where I've had trouble with people... 

If you don't bother people the likelihood on you getting bothered is pretty slim to be honest in my personal experience. 

This thread seems to be focused with portraying Vespucci as an area exclusively influenced by Venice Beach, and it very much so it, that is why it has a strong "Locals Only" culture just like the gentrified community does in Dogtown irl. However with the presence of certain gangs in the area like The Seaside ABZ or PEN1, and because of the fact it is the only real city beach area in the game, it is also heavily influenced by Long Beach. It's one of the few areas where Peckerwood and Skin gangs make sense to set up im given the map size and structure. Long Beach is far more analogous to the pattern of crime in Vespucci and to the gangs present there. You also have to understand that "Local" isn't a term that refers to everyone living in the area. A local isn't a local just because they own or rent property in Vespucci. Many businesses aren't considered local either. Local typically refers to someone who is adversely affected by the gentrification of the area, while active within the Dogtowm sub-culture. Skating, surfing, et cetera. If you are a rich person from anywhere else you are not a local. Locals are free to define who is and who isn't a local. Just because a local doesn't know who you are, even though you live is the area, isn't bad rp. The two characters are cultural opposites, and not everyone knows each other. This is also why you see a lot of anti-rich sentiment on Vespucci Beach. Many Local characters may see an expensive car owned by someone they don't know and immediately think it's a kook, and will act more hostile because of that. If you guard the ramp at the skatepark the Locals will think you're a kook. If you can't charge into an A-frame weaning into a 360 with a little air, you're a fucking kook.  This is an area suffering from gentrification and the Locals suffer from that. 

It seems to me that sides simply should, and likely usually do, escalate situations better. However if a civilian takes out a PF gun then the Gangsters are going to as well. If a civilian disrespects a gang member they are likely to get beat up. Gangsters also shouldn't be needlessly escalating petty situations.

• Applaud 1
14 minutes ago, Ted said:

This thread seems to be focused with portraying Vespucci as an area exclusively influenced by Venice Beach, and it very much so it, that is why it has a strong "Locals Only" culture just like the gentrified community does in Dogtown irl. However with the presence of certain gangs in the area like The Seaside ABZ or PEN1, and because of the fact it is the only real city beach area in the game, it is also heavily influenced by Long Beach. It's one of the few areas where Peckerwood and Skin gangs make sense to set up im given the map size and structure. Long Beach is far more analogous to the pattern of crime in Vespucci and to the gangs present there. You also have to understand that "Local" isn't a term that refers to everyone living in the area. A local isn't a local just because they own or rent property in Vespucci. Many businesses aren't considered local either. Local typically refers to someone who is adversely affected by the gentrification of the area, while active within the Dogtowm sub-culture. Skating, surfing, et cetera. If you are a rich person from anywhere else you are not a local. Locals are free to define who is and who isn't a local. Just because a local doesn't know who you are, even though you live is the area, isn't bad rp. The two characters are cultural opposites, and not everyone knows each other. This is also why you see a lot of anti-rich sentiment on Vespucci Beach. Many Local characters may see an expensive car owned by someone they don't know and immediately think it's a kook, and will act more hostile because of that. If you guard the ramp at the skatepark the Locals will think you're a kook. If you can't charge into an A-frame weaning into a 360 with a little air, you're a fucking kook.  This is an area suffering from gentrification and the Locals suffer from that. 

It seems to me that sides simply should, and likely usually do, escalate situations better. However if a civilian takes out a PF gun then the Gangsters are going to as well. If a civilian disrespects a gang member they are likely to get beat up. Gangsters also shouldn't be needlessly escalating petty situations.

So you're saying if someone can't peform an ollie they will most likely get stabbed?

32 minutes ago, Ted said:

If you guard the ramp at the skatepark the Locals will think you're a kook. If you can't charge into an A-frame weaning into a 360 with a little air, you're a fucking kook.

what are you even saying with this, genuine question not trying to be a dick but as a skater from socal irl(ik that sounds cringy af to say but tryna give a lil context into why this confuses me) this has to be the most confusing thing i've read in this topic so far

are you trying to say if someone can't 360 off an a-frame (theres no need to say all the extra shit around it its just confusing) people are gonna be judgemental and hostile toward them? because i highly doubt that, as long as they're not snaking people at the park (cutting them off and fucking up their lines) there's not likely to be any hostilities to someone who's learning to skate, even from 'locals' unless the kids learning are being obnoxious retards. the whole 'locals only culture' from my experience with it irl and even ig is purely based off respect over where someone's from or what they have, as long as someone's chill and has good vibes nobody tends to hassle them or usually does it in a friendly manner if the person's cool about it (i.e friendly banter/jokes and shit that most people would prolly find offensive if they didn't realize that it's not meant in a hostile way)

and wtf is guarding a ramp, do people actually do shit like that ig? if so, LMFAO at them and they deserve any of the hostility they get trying to snake mfs like that

-----

ontopic though;

I think a big part of why this has become such a problem is 1 thing that both sides do, it's a seperate thing for each side though:

1) Civilians/nonlocals that come by being disrespectful or not understanding how to carefully navigate a situation with a local whether or not the confrontation happens reasonably (i.e maybe the nonlocal does smth that bugs the local so they bark some nonsense at em, or in the less reasonable side of someone just coming up and starting shit for 0 reason at all other than to provoke somebody). A lot of legal rpers tend to have this macho fuck you I can't lose attitude (gang/criminal rpers have it just as much however and often confuse RP fear for RP NPCism (people are more dynamic than complying 100% 24/7 every single time) and the attitude often causes escalation

2) Gang/criminal RPers tend to take any chance they get in an encounter to jump for escalation so they can get into a fight beit fists or weapons instead of just blowing people off and not caring or deciding to settle things peacefully, in a LOT of cases that i've seen from other people or been involved in myself (I tend to have a lot more peaceful resolutions personally, as i know how to carry myself around those types due to growing up around that scene so its less my encounters and more other people's i see) and it's always the same thing with the types I'm talking about (it's not every gang rper don't get me wrong) but they'll come up, something happens, no matter who starts it, and they'll just immediately bee-line the confrontation into a violent conflict in some attempt to drive people away from ever coming back (which isn't good, people will never learn if you dont allow them to be involved, and then you just get more divided and more dumbass "UR A MALLRAT, NO UR A MALLRAT FUCK U U CLOWN" type arguments that lead nowhere but to more toxic bs that just hurts RP in general.

I think if legal RPers stop trying to be macho men all the time and learn how to take an L from time to time, or learn when not to try and go for a dub (because beating a gang members ass is the WRONG fucking move, if you have any common sense, you dont fuckin do that shit unless its a 1 on 1 fight where yall set it up to squash a problem and move on), and both sides be less trigger happy/pro-conflict and be a little more passive and allow their characters to have calmer heads (everyone rping some o-dogg wannabe isn't a good look, stop rping a "hot head" as an excuse to dm/fight bro its not unique) RP in general would improve. I commonly see people asking why there's never any booming community RP around gang areas, and it's because of stuff like this. People get shot/jumped/killed over the littlest shit in a lot of cases (it's often justified too, im not trying to argue that some people dont just fuckin ask for it, i've seen that too and laughed at people for it when they bitch) and it drives people away. n then you also get the types that are like "haha good drive them all out!!! xd" which is just part of the problem.

tl;dr

basically people need to stop being so confrontational and be a little more passive all around. gang members and legal rpers have the same problem in that regard. we as legal rpers tend to be more widely spread as "huhhuh im some macho man fuck all yall im tony montana mothafucka" and gang rpers just tend to have this OOC equivalent of them thinking they're the hardest mf on the server and will gun you down for disrespecting em or some shit. it's weird. focus on the roleplay, not the fighting. being trigger happy/fight happy isn't a good look, it's a sign of bad rp. be more willing to take an L, it's just roleplay on gta, your irl rep aint on the line and you're not some hardcore gangbanger you're just a nerd on a roleplay game, act like it ? idk who needs to hear that but listen to it if you do.

and before someone quotes me and says "i dont do that though so you're wrong bruh" if you don't do it, what I'm saying doesn't involve you, i there's hella good roleplayers on both sides of the spectrum, and we all get a bad name from the people doing a shit job at portraying people.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1