The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

3 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

There are 'gangs' is not an excuse for poor RP of gang culture.

Unlike some illegal RPers on our server, real life gangs in Santa Monica actually know how to be gangsters and they don't run around stabbing / killing people. Despite what the people here think, most crime is theft and unarmed assault.

Despite having a daily population more than 300x our server, there hasn't been a murder in Santa Monica in a year.

So if you want to use "there are gangs in Santa Monica" as a way to justify them existing in game, perhaps you should be consistent and RP the gangs more realistically too?

Is your idea of good portrayal of bad gang culture not letting you drift around their neighborhood and then crying when you get robbed or driven out for it 

I don't 'drift' anywhere because I mostly walk places, what are you even talking about? please make some sense.

My idea of good portrayal of gang culture is to be realistic in how they are portrayed, which isn't dozens of murders daily.

What a ridiculous idea to expect Santa Monica gangs to RP realistic level of violence on a heavy RP server!

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
4 minutes ago, MCB666 said:

I don't know if you know but most of the time murders in vespucci are actually gang members killing each other or robberies where people can't roleplay fear and get shot for it.

The point is they shouldn't be happening regardless due to the high risk that would come with them, as someone has already pointed out now the murder rate in Venice/Santa Monica is extremely low again due to the high risk because of the things I listed. 

Edited by Ezrya
Just now, Ezrya said:

The point is they shouldn't be happening regardless due to the high risk that would come with them, as someone has already pointed out now the murder rate in Venice/Santa Monica is extremely low again due to the high risk because of the things I listed. 

Well, people take that risk ICly and most of them end up captured by law enforcement for it. Plus there was previously a huge war going on between two gangs in Vespucci for the last month so that probably explains the super high murder rate. Although I do agree maybe gangs should try to fight it out before bringing guns out but that's sort of an IC Issue. The whole Venice/Santa Monica thing? That was pretty much people trying to justify that gangs do exist in so-called "high end" areas.

20 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Despite having a daily population more than 300x our server, there hasn't been a murder in Santa Monica in a year.

5E155cj.png

Santa Monica has 31% more crime than the American average. 

oSzxfzj.png

Less than 5% of US cities have a higher crime rate than Santa Monica. While you are right that the murder rate is inflated so is everything on this server, because it's a video game. The percent of the population who drives a lambo or supercar is definitely above 25% in game, while IRL it's under 1%. 

Edited by Xizzy
5 minutes ago, MCB666 said:

Well, people take that risk ICly and most of them end up captured by law enforcement for it. Plus there was previously a huge war going on between two gangs in Vespucci for the last month so that probably explains the super high murder rate. Although I do agree maybe gangs should try to fight it out before bringing guns out but that's sort of an IC Issue. The whole Venice/Santa Monica thing? That was pretty much people trying to justify that gangs do exist in so-called "high end" areas.

And I totally agree I'm personally not denying gangs don't exist in the area, if anything they are needed to portray the area realistically and are an important part to the roleplay in Vespucci, just if people plan on role playing a gang in vespucci that also comes with the extra risk when it comes to more higher profile crimes and I think that should be roleplayed realistically and not like it's South-central L. A. 

You're making what's known as a strawman argument here.

The details of whether Santa Monica is more / less dangerous than any other city is irrelevant because we're not expecting you to RP a realistic level of crime in say, New York. We are expecting RP to be realistic as it is in Los Angeles / Santa Monica.

Again, sports cars, is a strawman attempt to redirect discussion - if you want to talk to about RP realism of supercars, it probably belongs on another thread.

Back to the actual topic, your statistics for the 2018 year, only support my claim.

7.6 murders in a single year per 100,000 people means that you people engaging in this RP are more than 10000 times out of accurately portraying gang RP levels of violence in Santa Monica.

You guys aren't even close to being good at what you are trying to portray.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
1 minute ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

The details of whether Santa Monica is more / less dangerous than any other city is irrelevant because we're not expecting you to RP a realistic level of crime in say, New York. We are expecting RP to be realistic as it is in Los Angeles / Santa Monica.

Again, sports cars, is a strawman attempt to redirect discussion - if you want to talk to about RP realism of supercars, it probably belongs on another thread.

Back to the actual topic, your statistics for the 2018 year, only support my claim.

7.6 murders in a single year per 100,000 people means that you people engaging in this RP are more than 10000 times out of accurately portraying gang RP in Santa Monica.

This is true, that's what I was trying to say earlier but everyone got it wrong and understood that I don't want gangs to exist in Vespucci, I get it that there were gangs and there will be gangs in Vespucci, but a more realistic portrayal and better reasons to kill/rob someone from these members would be the thing we need to fix this issue. There are too many murders in a high risk area and this brings us 0 realism, but somehow illegal roleplayers approve this behavior.

9 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

7.6 murders in a single year per 100,000 people means that you people engaging in this RP are more than 10000 times out of accurately portraying gang RP levels of violence in Santa Monica.

4 minutes ago, VikoMKD said:

This is true, that's what I was trying to say earlier but everyone got it wrong and understood that I don't want gangs to exist in Vespucci, I get it that there were gangs and there will be gangs in Vespucci, but a more realistic portrayal and better reasons to kill/rob someone from these members would be the thing we need to fix this issue. There are too many murders in a high risk area and this brings us 0 realism, but somehow illegal roleplayers approve this behavior.

That's a server issue, not a gang roleplay issue. People get murdered at a far more rapid rate ingame than IRL. This occurs simply because it is a video game where situations escalate quicker than they typically do IRL. None of this has to do with gang roleplay, and such an argument could easily be applied to LEO factions or organized crime factions in the same manner.

This thread needs to be closed honestly, the arguments people are making here are hilarious imo. Why this whole topic is up for debate, I will never know. But, being in Culver's leadership, I'm going to say we are not going to move for this thread. And I don't believe IFM is going to make us move either.

• Upvote 1