The problem with gang roleplayers in rich areas

VikoMKD

15 minutes ago, Declan said:

only me who’s rped in vespucci since last august and never been robbed ? ?

They learned about Richard Orosco's right hook and they don't wanna hassle him.

But it's not just about robberies, really. There's a loooot of violence at the skate park for the most miniscule of reasons from my experience.

Edited by Wirbelwind
  • Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Wirbelwind said:

They learned about Richard Orosco's right hook and they don't wanna hassle him.

But it's not just about robberies, really. There's a loooot of violence at the skate park for the most miniscule of reasons from my experience.

When looking at the cause of violence there is (in my opinion) a cause to look at why it escalates like that so often. One thing to note above all is that the  concern for your characters physical well-being is entirely and completely artificial. As such it’s subject to the person behind the character. The one thing I’ve always seen is that most verbal arguments escalate dramatically due to a lack of care for ones physical well-being. If a snappy gangbanging teen has a confrontation with somebody there’s absolutely no point for some people where they say to themselves “this can get ugly”. People are quick to engage in confrontations they would realistically avoid or exit out of. The lack of people backing down escalates to an eventual physical showdown because parties push it that far, so far to where any verbal altercations are transcended. Again, this too is a two way street. 

It’s not unreasonable violent, it’s just that tourists keep coming around to go slap the wasp nest for a plethora of reasons, none of them entirely justified. On the flip side a lot of players deal with a very low bar to escalate to lethal combat because of living in this reality we created. It’s a symptom, and you can’t fix a problem by fixing symptoms.

5 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I find it absolutely hilarious because the people who complain about bad gang roleplayers are the same people who walk around with their chest out acting like a B-roll Punisher that served x years and is now a middle to upper class carbon copy of Russo. The terrible roleplay goes both ways, it really does. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but let me run down some facts for you some people seem to forget.

The geography of the game is something everyone seems to ignore. Venice is a huge area that isn’t just nice fancy neighborhood for the rich. Vespucci is the creative recreation of that and much like the rest of Los Santos it is compressed in scale. And much like it’s real counterpart Vespucci isn’t just a rich area, and there are plenty of “bad” areas to be found. Much like the real world our Vespucci has it’s gang and street culture. 

A tourist trap isn’t a safeguard for robberies and muggings. Nor does being in a rich fancy neighborhood give you a cloak of protection. In fact, these neighborhoods are more often than not the target for these crimes. The only difference with real life is that the methods are often different. And they are different because of how the game works, much like real life people adapt to operate within the world they live in. A lot of people walk around Vespucci thinking they’re John Wayne making them an easy target for guns and other valuables. A lot of people also sabotage roleplay when subjected to a robbery. And with the way the rules are set up it makes sense for most people to commit high intensity and high impact robberies with violence. Because while we can argue the value of roleplay, the community isn’t like that. People are always upping each other and consideration and courtesy is the exception rather than the expectation. So you’ll be hard pressed to find these nice robbers because they cannot survive and most definitely can’t thrive in the world we have created for each other. 

And what you see is what you get. People point fingers left and right except at themselves. You get PF bulls talking smack to a whole gang on their turf while they have no business being there and should’ve just stayed in their little smoothie shop. The attitudes some of these people have is a creation of their own mismanagement. They’ll forget that their character exists outside of their non violent friend circle. You get a “legal” character arguing with a 16 year old doped up gangbanger and ranting like they’re about to tip the fedora. They’ll keep pushing buttons and acting wild themselves only to be completely surprised when they get their socks knocked off. You get what you give. And while I know the good and the bad of gang roleplay I also know some of the Vespucci gangs and that they’re no worse than any of the people roleplaying there. It’s a two way street, and people seem to forget that. Mutual understanding can go a long way. 

Nothing but facts. Straight up truth brother.

5 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I find it absolutely hilarious because the people who complain about bad gang roleplayers are the same people who walk around with their chest out acting like a B-roll Punisher that served x years and is now a middle to upper class carbon copy of Russo. The terrible roleplay goes both ways, it really does. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before but let me run down some facts for you some people seem to forget.

The geography of the game is something everyone seems to ignore. Venice is a huge area that isn’t just nice fancy neighborhood for the rich. Vespucci is the creative recreation of that and much like the rest of Los Santos it is compressed in scale. And much like it’s real counterpart Vespucci isn’t just a rich area, and there are plenty of “bad” areas to be found. Much like the real world our Vespucci has it’s gang and street culture. 

A tourist trap isn’t a safeguard for robberies and muggings. Nor does being in a rich fancy neighborhood give you a cloak of protection. In fact, these neighborhoods are more often than not the target for these crimes. The only difference with real life is that the methods are often different. And they are different because of how the game works, much like real life people adapt to operate within the world they live in. A lot of people walk around Vespucci thinking they’re John Wayne making them an easy target for guns and other valuables. A lot of people also sabotage roleplay when subjected to a robbery. And with the way the rules are set up it makes sense for most people to commit high intensity and high impact robberies with violence. Because while we can argue the value of roleplay, the community isn’t like that. People are always upping each other and consideration and courtesy is the exception rather than the expectation. So you’ll be hard pressed to find these nice robbers because they cannot survive and most definitely can’t thrive in the world we have created for each other. 

And what you see is what you get. People point fingers left and right except at themselves. You get PF bulls talking smack to a whole gang on their turf while they have no business being there and should’ve just stayed in their little smoothie shop. The attitudes some of these people have is a creation of their own mismanagement. They’ll forget that their character exists outside of their non violent friend circle. You get a “legal” character arguing with a 16 year old doped up gangbanger and ranting like they’re about to tip the fedora. They’ll keep pushing buttons and acting wild themselves only to be completely surprised when they get their socks knocked off. You get what you give. And while I know the good and the bad of gang roleplay I also know some of the Vespucci gangs and that they’re no worse than any of the people roleplaying there. It’s a two way street, and people seem to forget that. Mutual understanding can go a long way. 

Couldn’t have explained it better. Bravo.

Edited by bonk
3 hours ago, Ears Up said:

Go to Venice Beach IRL and provoke some cholo on a backstreet, see what happens to you, whether or not the sun's out or the fact that you're near the beachfront.

If you could find one, and did as you suggest then it's reasonable to suggest you'd get in some way assaulted. However it's unrealistic to suggest that this would escalate to a murder.

One thing that I do despair at when reading threads like this is that so few people claiming to have some 'authority' on LA / Santa Monica gang life & violence have obviously never even set foot in the city and worse, never actually researched the level of violence in that area.

Being murdered in Santa Monica is very unrealistic.

1. There have been 67 murders in Santa Monica in the past 20 years, averaging 3 murders per year in a 90,000 + population
  2. It has been 12 months since the last murder which was on Oct 02, 2019 (I imagine covid has helped play a part here).
  3. Source: (https://homicide.latimes.com/neighborhood/santa-monica/year/all)
  4. Daily crime stats https://spotcrime.com/CA/Santa Monica/daily-archive
  5. Being a tourist area, theft's and assaults make up the vast majority of non petty crimes. (which you'd expect).
  6. Very few assaults involve any kind of deadly weapon, let alone, a firearm.

With that said, as our server has far more criminals per capita than any real world city (because cops vs robbers is what alot of people come here to play), you are naturally going to see far inflated numbers of crime.

• Legal players are correct when they complain about the unrealistic portrayal of violence (especially the escalation to murder), by some illegal roleplayers, because it is unrealistic to kill people with anywhere near the regularity that is seen on our server.
  • Illegal players are correct when they say that some  legal players act like they're superman and do their best to provoke illegal players.

An observation I'd also make is that there also doesn't seem to be a great deal of consistency on the enforcement of 'fear RP' rules around drawing weapons in populated areas. I believe this only confuses matters and some clarity here would be helpful.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy

Many of the illegal roleplayers that commented here got me wrong, I DO NOT want to remove the gangs from Vespucci or anywhere in Los Santos, I just want them to reconsider the way they roleplay because robbing me with a gun as soon as I park at my house just because I live there and drive a sports car isn't good enough reason. I've had some problems with the gangs around for basically nothing, I haven't even spoken to them let alone provoking them, because I roleplay fear of the gangs and don't want to have any problems with them. But my char is a legal PF and CCW holder and I carry a gun at all times, and I expect the kids who only have knuckle dusters on them to roleplay fear when I point the gun at them and not just charge me with the knuckle duster and start a fist fight. The thing is that most of the illegal roleplayers i've encountered around Vespucci act like they are made out of steel or wearing heavy body armor at all times, one time I shot a guy few times in the back and he kept running after trying to rob me in front of my house. So again I DO NOT want to remove any gang from anywhere I just want a realistic portrayal where they mind their own business and I mind my own, if I don't even make eye contact with them why would they come and try to rob/kill me in a populated area. I don't know how others got into problems with the gang but me and most of my friends/tenants that got into problems were just living there and minding their own business.

I had my apartment broken into, and I've witnessed the gang activity around Vespucci where I used to live. You know what I did? I moved out of Vespucci as any person who would witness the crime do, instead of trying to tackle anything OOC. You want to live in Vespucci, my character wanted to live in Vespucci, people are gangbanging in Vespucci. Why should they tone it down, when you can just move out and never face the problem? I don't regret it 1 bit.

Edited by Daquan Kingston