Furniture setup saving.

Lippi

Short description:
one should be able to save the interior setup at a certain point in time.

Detailed description: 
Currently, the 'undo' option in the furniture system ( pressing delete directly after an action) can go back 1 step, this is extremely handy. However, in a creative process, one might want to test ideas, and as most of what is made IG is puzzled together from many objects, it is a very time consuming process. 

What I am suggesting is that there is a submenu added to the furniture system that would save certain setups, just like saving progress in any game works, just like a ''save game'' and ''load game'' there should be a ''save furniture [name/date]'' and ''load furniture [name/date]''

Commands to add:

none, instead edit the /fur menu

Items to add: ?

How would your suggestion improve the server?
The virtual environment where most RP happens is largely made up of the 'built' environment/architecture, it's the key premise that sets the scene. The creativity of the playerbase largely contributes to the server by enhancing this crutial aspect, by IC means through the furniture system. Advancing the system with designer tools as simple as this one will manifest itself in the overall quality of what is made IG. 

Additional information:
The difference in furniture value between the different saved setups should be calculated/refunded in some way, either through direct cash as the current system does for objects individually, whichever the management finds suitable.

/discuss

• Upvote 1

This is something I've been thinking about suggesting myself. There are two major ways I think this can be helpful:

You can "save" your property's mapping so that way even if somehow someone was to maliciously wipe your mapping with access to your tenant build rights (even knowing it would get them a ban) you can restore it.

You can make temporary alterations to your property's mapping, such as for an event, with a lot less effort needed to undo it. For instance, if you were throwing a party at your house or a special event at your business, you can save the "regular" state and then make whatever changes necessary--setting up a DJ table, throwing up decorations, moving furniture around, maybe changing the lighting, and so on. And when you're all done with the event, rather than taking time to remap everything back to how it was, you just revert back to the old state. 

Even in smaller scenes, for instance my character might have a table set up in the living room for people, but for a dinner might go and get two more chairs (like one from the office for instance) and move the table to put those down, maybe set up some plates and silverware, or some other food stuffs to represent preparation in the kitchen. Then, instead of having to also spend all that time moving the objects back and tidying up with the mapping sysem, you can just revert.

A suggestion like this would definitely encourage more creative and special mapping. It'd also allow people to experiment and try new things without risking wasting even more time. 

I think it should function similarily to how you select an outfit. You have slots that you can assign 'saves' to and you can use/edit those saves as you wish. Would be very handy for events and things like that. Unless events have very minor changes needed to the mapping, many would be off put to dedicate time to mapping it, although with the possiblity to jump back to the previous mapping, or even re-use the event mapping at a later date, this wouldn't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 9:39 AM, Ink said:

You can "save" your property's mapping so that way even if somehow someone was to maliciously wipe your mapping with access to your tenant build rights (even knowing it would get them a ban) you can restore it.

Yeah there has been a case where a certain somebody decided to RPly steal chairs from an interior I was working on ( they had furnishing rights as a design assistant/employee) He unwittingly deleted/sold some chair objects that were not even being used as chairs, ripping in to the fabric of the structure/ non-furniture per se. 

It took about five minutes to repair because luckily I had caught him in the act, but had I not, I would probably be looking at a lot more complicated damage to the interior, regardless of the RPly missing free-standing furniture.

• mj2002 locked this topic