[LSNN] Election: Fifteen Minutes With Tanya Sun

Greyfeather

CvaVzrI.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Election: Fifteen Minutes With Tanya Sun

Nayeli Greyfeather

Last week, Tanya Sun, the Democratic Party's candidate for the Western District, was able to give LSNN fifteen minutes out of her very busy schedule to discuss the election.

image0.jpg

Tanya Sun, Democratic Candidate for the West [image reproduced from social media]

I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to discuss a few issues, including how Tanya felt the election impacted the women of Los Santos.

The transcript of our interview is below:

Nayeli: So, let's start with that fact, that you're the only woman candidate. Does that give you cause for concern at all?

Tanya: Concern? No, I do believe that if you can do the work, your gender shouldn't matter. But what does matter is when it's so consistently one way. I'm less concerned and more disappointed -- I guess. Consider that it's a, for lack of a better description, "a man's world" since the dawn of time. In 2020 things should have progressed but, they seem to have gone a little backwards in Los Santos.

Nayeli: I see.

Tanya: On the previous point though, I feel it needs saying -- 

Nayeli: Yes?

Tanya: I'm not singling the Republicans out for criticism here. Gender diversity in places of power is just a huge structural issue across the country and the world. We kind of expect the Republicans to be as gender balanced as a Stone Age tribe. But I'm not exempting the Democrats from criticism. We can do better as well. The fact there's only one woman nominee is not a good thing for us. But, I am encouraged that our next generation of talent has more girl power, so to speak.

Nayeli: Can you name a few people who have inspired you to run in the election?

Tanya: I wish it was a few people. I mean, my partner Bobby is at the top of the list, always. His support and guidance has been everything to me. But, honestly for me, it's the whole community in Little Seoul that has really inspired me to step up.

Nayeli: Cool.

Tanya: I want to see the best for all the West Suburbs, because just this one suburb has been a family to me, and has really shown what communities can do when they watch out for each other and lift each other up.

Nayeli: My next question has two parts to it, okay? First what do you think makes a good female role model, and do you have any of your own? Actually, that was the two.

Tanya: There are so many role models to choose from. Supreme Court Justice (Ruth) Ginsberg has to be one of my all time -- well, heroes. Also, I have to say I have nothing but love for our girl AOC (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) in Washington -- she makes me feel like anything is possible.

Nayeli: She was criticized for having a large part in 20,000 potential jobs leaving New York City based on her activism to prevent Amazon from basing a distribution center there. Do you think that's an issue of concern?

Tanya: Not at all -- look, I'm often called a conservative Democrat -- and that's not an unfair statement, I am definitely to the right of AOC. But Amazon's employment practices are completely immoral. I believe in backing local businesses that have a stake in this city, (over) a multi-national who may employ tens of thousands but keep them barely alive on well below minimum wage agreements. Los Santos deserves better than predatory out-of-town businesses exploiting our vulnerable.

Nayeli: So, you're in favor of heavier employment regulations in Los Santos?

Tanya: I'm in favor of fairer employment regulations in Los Santos. I feel there needs to be government support to help small and struggling businesses to better navigate bureaucracy, but I don't believe that cutting regulations and taxes is a solution to, well any problem really.

Nayeli: A few months ago there were calls to unionize the security industry, are you in favor of unionization? In that or any other industry?

Tanya: Of course unions are a vital part of the industrial world. The absence of unions is precisely why companies like Amazon can exploit their workers to a degree that Americans are working in conditions that would make Bangladesh in the eighties look sane.

Nayeli: Tanya, I was also wondering whether you had identified any programs or policies that are aimed at women? I'll give an example; the LSFD had the program that enabled us to report to stations around the city if we felt unsafe. Have you anything specifically targeted or tailored for women?

Tanya: Well, let me start by saying the LSFD initiative was an essential one for the community, and I wish we saw more of those in the previous administration. For my part, I want to see more women's health clinics available city wide. Consider that endometriosis (a progressive and chronic uterine condition) is one of the most common and debilitating conditions for women across the country, but -- treatments and awareness? You barely hear about it. That needs to change. The Democrats are aiming to establish a Department of Public Health and, if we win, That will be at the top of the agenda -- I promise.

Y8l4IDT.png

2OyH6Zd.png

Y8l4IDT.png

VISIT OUR WEBSITE - CLICK HERE

• Upvote 1

Username: AZ

Comment: Why she talking like it’s anyone’s fault that a woman isn’t a nominee. Maybe they weren’t as good as their male counterparts. Maybe there were no other woman running for a position. Tough questions posed by Ms. Greyfeather. Respect. Good read but not in support of the candidate. I come from NYC. That AOC is a police defunder and a crook. Wants a raise for herself for doing jack and then she wants to cut the salaries of so many police officers. Crook! 

I’d like to know what miss Tanya meant by saying she will not defund the police but then went on to say ‘redistribute’ the budget. What budget are we talking about? Are there going to be 0 cuts from law enforcement budgets, or are there going to be small cuts that you wouldn’t classify as defunding? 

Edited by Saccs
2 minutes ago, Saccs said:

Username: AZ

Comment: Why she talking like it’s anyone’s fault that a woman isn’t a nominee. Maybe they weren’t as good as their male counterparts. Maybe there were no other woman running for a position. Tough questions posed by Ms. Greyfeather. Respect. Good read but not in support of the candidate. I come from NYC. That AOC is a police defunder and a crook. Wants a raise for herself for doing jack and then she wants to cut the salaries of so many police officers. Crook! 

I’d like to know what miss Tanya meant by saying she will not defund the police but then went on to say ‘redistribute’ the budget. What budget are we talking about? Are there going to be 0 cuts from law enforcement budgets, or are there going to be small cuts that you wouldn’t classify as defunding? 

Username: R.King281101

Comment: I'm Riley King, political director of the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party will not decrease the budget of police at all. In cooperation with law enforcement departments, it's been decided that for our plans for the departments, additional budget may need to be allocated to afford surveillance equipment and storage space for surveillance footage. The specifics of this will be decided with the sheriff, the chief of police, and the department of finance.

• Upvote 1
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic