Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

jointmikey

1 hour ago, Saccs said:

I honestly believe that we should be creating our own roleplay and history. I feel as though people take this whole 'LA inspiration' thing way too far. You should be gaining inspiration from American style RP in general, not trying to copy and paste LA life into this game. If LA does something today, would we be required to follow it? Why do we restrict ourselves this way? Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter.

This is what I said months ago, I don't know why we have to follow LA 1:1 and not allow new factions, yes, in LA there is hardly any yakuza, but that doesnt mean that it cannot arise here or at least something similar.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
On 1/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, Dizaster said:

If you'll read the Wikipedia, it states there that they are known for working together with Los Zetas and Beltran in illegal drug trafficking.

Well like every other Asian Organized Crime Group that operates in Los Angeles or United States, they don't always resort to violence since they're on the foreigner's land.  Plus Japanese Organized Crime group are low-key now days not like back at 90s and it's the same thing with LCN. 

i asked for evidence that's not a sentence on wikipedia that anybody coulda put there.

5 hours ago, Saccs said:

I honestly believe that we should be creating our own roleplay and history. I feel as though people take this whole 'LA inspiration' thing way too far. You should be gaining inspiration from American style RP in general, not trying to copy and paste LA life into this game. If LA does something today, would we be required to follow it? Why do we restrict ourselves this way? Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter.

nah mate i disagree..

1 minute ago, Saccs said:

You really should provide a counterargument at the very least. Such responses are not of any benefit.

See I don't really know what else to say if I'm being honest with you, but I'll try.

I see that you don't really like the whole taking inspiration from LA, that can be understood at the very least, but the thing about that is that game's inspired by LA. Another problem that could arise is the fact that alot of the illegal faction rpers base their faction of of the type of gangs that they've researched and not everybody wants to have to make up a whole culture and history for a gang when they've already got a culture and history in mind for a specific gang.

Sure, some concepts should be at least given a chance, and people should still be able to create their own gangs that aren't 100% based off of another, but imo even if a faction is completely made up, they should fall in line with ic gang umbrellas regardless of any of whether or not they're a fictional gang, for example Rancho 13 is a completely fictional gang, but due to IC shit that's been in place for a while, they're Surenos.

• 3 months later...

> Yakuza are very secretive and realistically very little is known about them

> IFM won't let it cuz apparently they know all about them in LA

Well? Which one is it? Nevermind the naysayers. It's absolutely possible to pull a Yakuza concept, but it's going to have to be very tryhard and much reading and researching has to be done, and you'd need to have a very very clear vision on what you want to do from the get go. Aand you shouldn't expect to start as de-facto established.

IFM needs to worry about all these other OCGs that they allow who act like its the 1960s out there or all the gangs that turn areas into Iraq, not about allowing a potentially small Yakuza cell to give it a try in LS.

Edit: God this thread is ancient what have yall done

Edited by SCANDALOUZ

When we have teens wiping blocks with assault rifles because they just happen to be the right ethnicity to be deemed acceptable, I continue to fail to understand the hardline position against the Yakuza specifically.

Sorry for contributing to necroposting but academic criminologists studying the Yakuza have noted that their activities in the US largely consist of:

• Money laundering
  • Trafficking American-made firearms back to Japan for use by allied syndicates and resale
  • Facilitation of prostitution through the Japanese tourist industry on the West Coast and Hawaii

Needless to say that these three things aren't exactly what players have in mind when they think of portraying a realistic Japanese OCG in Los Santos. The truth is much more like an ancillary crew cleaning cash through karaoke bars and moving pistols back to their bosses in the motherland as opposed to lavish sushi restaurants, strict traditions, black suits, and street racing.

Page 277 onwards of Kaplan, et al. 1 has a solid history of Japanese OCGs on the West Coast as does the U.S. Treasury report 2 on Yakuza syndicate money laundering in the States. There's plenty to go on to portray it within the guidelines of GTAW factions.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1vckDQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_book_other_versions#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm499

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
46 minutes ago, Slamdance said:

Sorry for contributing to necroposting but academic criminologists studying the Yakuza have noted that their activities in the US largely consist of:

• Money laundering
  • Trafficking American-made firearms back to Japan for use by allied syndicates and resale
  • Facilitation of prostitution through the Japanese tourist industry on the West Coast and Hawaii

Needless to say that these three things aren't exactly what players have in mind when they think of portraying a realistic Japanese OCG in Los Santos. The truth is much more like an ancillary crew cleaning cash through karaoke bars and moving pistols back to their bosses in the motherland as opposed to lavish sushi restaurants, strict traditions, black suits, and street racing.

Page 277 onwards of Kaplan, et al. 1 has a solid history of Japanese OCGs on the West Coast as does the U.S. Treasury report 2 on Yakuza syndicate money laundering in the States. There's plenty to go on to portray it within the guidelines of GTAW factions.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1vckDQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_book_other_versions#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm499

I tried to do something like this - but again, it was the decision of management at the time that the yakuza only operates in the US in small groups of 3-5 and only oversees drug shipments. Never mind my data and careful research.

But then again, most decisions that are made seem to stem from how Europeans think America works, rather than how it actually works.

None of this should be particularly surprising any more. If the server doesn't loosen up, we're going to see nothing but the same tired old tropes over and over again.

8 hours ago, Koko said:

When we have teens wiping blocks with assault rifles because they just happen to be the right ethnicity to be deemed acceptable, I continue to fail to understand the hardline position against the Yakuza specifically.

thats against the rules whats ur point, thats against ROE and no good faction on the server allows it so hows that an excuse to allow yakuza rp which is 9/10 times terribley portrayed. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic