Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

scar

I was stationed in near Tokyo for 3 years and I’ve had a chance to talk with locals and did my own research. Yakuza are slowly dying because of stricter enforcement on gang activity and organized crime. Their control is usually only in smaller areas and if anything, they are doing non contact crimes. The general population dont fear them as they used to since their presence is essentially zero now. They can barely stay alive in japan, they certainly could not transfer their whole operation to a seperate country. Ties to important people is what makes a gang legitimate and having to restart that process would practically not happen.

• Upvote 1

I understand the issue of a Yakuza as most people don't portray them correctly. Nothing like suited up japanese yakuza members selling a baggie of coke to some 2-bit gangsters, right?

That is poor character portrayal suited yakuza members typically are higher ups and would never go out selling drugs. They'd simple hire somebody to do it! They are far too busy with actual legal fronts to be bothered going on the streets selling the drugs. If somebody were to try and make a yakuza that focuses on being in the background pulling the strings and hiring the people to make the moves for them.

1 hour ago, Dizaster said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshitomi_Group

There you go, It's a Yakuza Cell that was formed in Japan in 1995 during Kobe Earthquake. These people are associated with Yamaguchi-Gumi, they're still active until now. It's just they're low-key in United States.

Is there any evidence beside a sentence on wikipedia that points towards them trafficking drugs and doing violent shit in LA, though?

2 hours ago, Garras Up said:

Is there any evidence beside a sentence on wikipedia that points towards them trafficking drugs and doing violent shit in LA, though?

If you'll read the Wikipedia, it states there that they are known for working together with Los Zetas and Beltran in illegal drug trafficking.

Well like every other Asian Organized Crime Group that operates in Los Angeles or United States, they don't always resort to violence since they're on the foreigner's land.  Plus Japanese Organized Crime group are low-key now days not like back at 90s and it's the same thing with LCN. 

I strongly believe that they focus more on white-collar crimes and legitimate business though such as real estate, fraud and illegal gambling. Yakuza now days is not violence anymore compare to their the old days.

Edited by Dizaster
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I honestly believe that we should be creating our own roleplay and history. I feel as though people take this whole 'LA inspiration' thing way too far. You should be gaining inspiration from American style RP in general, not trying to copy and paste LA life into this game. If LA does something today, would we be required to follow it? Why do we restrict ourselves this way? Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter.

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1
51 minutes ago, Saccs said:

I honestly believe that we should be creating our own roleplay and history. I feel as though people take this whole 'LA inspiration' thing way too far. You should be gaining inspiration from American style RP in general, not trying to copy and paste LA life into this game. If LA does something today, would we be required to follow it? Why do we restrict ourselves this way? Anyways, that's my thoughts on the matter.

You have a good point, it seems that the factions who create their own lore/gangs from the ground up are the ones who're more enjoyable to roleplay with/around. Following the LA Style is unfortunate because there's a lot of un-tapped potential in the community. 

In regards to the topic itself, Yakuza is delicate in my opinion. A lot of people go in with the whole honor-bound system and over the top generalization, if someone managed to portray a Yakuza well then I would be impressed.

• Wuhtah locked this topic