Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

jointmikey

27 minutes ago, Pathway said:

ur intentionally not getting my point. Yakuza only exists in Japan and Hawaii, name one faction on this server that doesn't or couldn't realistically exist in a california setting. 

You're getting into faction potrayal, which of course isn't going to be 1:1 since criminals are secretive and unless an actual gang convinces all their members to play gta w that will never happen. 

Answer me this: If Yakuza gets let on the server, why shouldn't I be allowed to make a London drill gang? Literally the exact same premise, they don't exist in the US and never will, so it would be dumb to let people rp them.

There are several Yakuza groups that have existed in LA and America as a whole. There’s a /reason/ for Japan to want to expand operations in America. There’s also a reason for ex Yakuza to want to flee to America to do business there. Why the fuck would a drill group move from London to LA? Stop using a realistic idea such as Yakuza to throw bullshit ideas like drill rap or gangster disciples onto the table.

4 minutes ago, Calamity said:

bullshit ideas like drill rap or gangster disciples onto the table.

Ironic part is GDs have more of an influence in LA than the Yakuza does or ever will. The only time Yakuza steps foot anywhere near the US is to smuggle guns out of it via hawaii, or do legal work. 

5 minutes ago, Calamity said:

There’s a /reason/ for Japan to want to expand operations in America. There’s also a reason for ex Yakuza to want to flee to America to do business there. 

Yea, legal business. People don't want to rp legal businessmen with loose ties to Yakuza, they want to rp 60s finger chopping japanese mobsters that somehow sell drugs and run guns even though their irl counterparts are basically just japanese guys in suits that do paperwork.

13 minutes ago, Calamity said:

realistic idea such as Yakuza 

how is it realistic if it's not real. It's not a realistic idea, atleast Chicago is in the same country as Cali, you're suggesting rping something that exists from across the globe. Literally explain to me why it's different from a UK drill gang. It doesn't matter if "there's a reason for them to do it", they don't and won't IRL. If I dug hard enough in my ass to come up with bullshit I could make up a reason for a gang from london to set up in the US too, the only difference is london is closer than tokyo to LA so it would probably be 10x more realistic than Yakuza ever would be.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, nateX said:

Yakuza in Cali is basically non existent. It used to be a thing, but even then it was extremely small and the only reason it functioned was because of their allience to other Asian crime groups. I sincerely doubt that anyone on the server can pull off a Yakuza faction that would last longer than 2 weeks without any stereotypical roleplay like a fully tattood person with a fresh-off-the-boat Japanese name walking around in suits with each and every single member missing a finger.

Just to play devils advocate here, what about all the italian mafias ? They arent nearly as prominent as they are ingame and they all go around in fucking 3 piece suits and I can literally look at them and know exactly where their characters are from; Jersey, Boston, or NY/LC.

The mafias are super cliche and I dont see a lot of people having an issue with that. I understand the idea that every one of them missing fingers is a stretch but it wouldn't be all of them and it is 100% part of yakuza culture. 

Lastly while I agree there isnt a large % of yakuza in california and the United states they are very much there making moves under the radar. This is by design, that's why you can hardly look up members of the yakuza and do proper research, they dont swing their dicks around like a street gang.

I mean for crying out loud, President Obama just a couple years ago and our Congress had done measures to stop the yakuza from trying to smuggle drugs into the country and sell to gangs. So to say they practically dont exist yet the president considers them an issue seems contradictory to me.

Onto topic, I think if its portrayed properly any type of gang should be allowed on the server. I'm personally annoyed to see people go "we arent LA we are LS" then turn around and then say "But this doesnt happen in LA!"

Pick one. If we are going to be just LS or strictly based on LA, it should be consistent across the board. Not nit picked to death. It creates confusion that shouldnt be there.

Edited by Juicebox.
1 minute ago, Juicebox. said:

Just to play devils advocate here, what about all the italian mafias ? They arent nearly as prominent as they are ingame and they all go around in fucking 3 piece suits and I can literally look at them and know exactly where their characters are from; Jersey, Boston, or NY/LC.

I agree, I also dislike the portrayal of many people that RP organized crime. Especially on this server where only around 10% wear suits all the time. I can usually tell what a character does by just looking at them, because most of the time I end up right. Wearing 3 piece suits like you're in the 1960s is super cringe, don't even get me started.

3 minutes ago, Juicebox. said:

The mafias are super cliche and I dont see a lot of people having an issue with that. I understand the idea that every one of them missing fingers is a stretch but it wouldn't be all of them and it is 100% part of yakuza culture. 

Last time we had a Yakuza faction on the server, as far as I recall at least 6 members from that faction RPed having a missing finger, and it was super obvious why it was missing. There's only a very small percentage of people on the server that do proper organized crime RP that don't just base their entire RP off of stereotypes. 

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, nateX said:

I agree, I also dislike the portrayal of many people that RP organized crime. Especially on this server where only around 10% wear suits all the time. I can usually tell what a character does by just looking at them, because most of the time I end up right. Wearing 3 piece suits like you're in the 1960s is super cringe, don't even get me started.

Last time we had a Yakuza faction on the server, as far as I recall at least 6 members from that faction RPed having a missing finger, and it was super obvious why it was missing. There's only a very small percentage of people on the server that do proper organized crime RP that don't just base their entire RP off of stereotypes. 

I agree wholeheartedly I just think that the server shouldnt base who they accept and dont accept as factions based on "is it realistic for the area they are in?"

This will in turn create factions that start to repeat themselves. I think creating multiple different types of factions of multiple different ethnicities would create a better environment and more types of roleplay overall. This isnt LA as stated by admins its LS. It's a fictional world so we should be able to do something with it instead of limiting us to some invisible barrier. 

I do agree though that overall, crime syndicates and organized crime in general could definitely be improved on in the server and I'm by no means saying that we should accept a yakuza that doesnt properly roleplay a yakuza. I'm saying that if somebody can meet a level of roleplay standard and can be active to do so 100% should be accepted. From what its seeming like in the replies the chances of a yakuza not coming to GTAW due to that "invisible barrier" is imminent.

I think people need to realize that if they were to create a realistic yakuza, that a large majority of their profits still comes from legal means as well not just illegal. They are very discreet about their illegal doings. A bunch of gun sales screenshots and drug screenshots shouldnt cut it they should also roleplay the legal business side of things.

@lambchopsI was not trying to say "these factions dont roleplay realistically at all so why should we?" I was pointing out that if they can make it work and it doesnt make sense for the LA environment then why should it be that way for a yakuza? 

Do we just rename yakuzas to "japanese crime syndicate" and we no longer have an issue? I fail to understand.

Edited by Juicebox.

Having been around for almost 2-ish years, this discussion has been had plenty. There's always groups like the Yoshitomi-Gumi who are Yakuza and cartel affiliated and operate with a primarily Hmong demographic with the Japanese at the top. Yakuzas and Japanese organized crime have always fell under the same purview of militias and cults on this server - they won't happen. IFM has made this clear. At best, you'll get Yoshitomi-Gumi. And even that's a stretch.

2 minutes ago, ##Breslin## said:

Ruriko Onohara was an attempt at something like this last year and it was done as proper as we could, some disputes with the admin team and the person running it came about but what little bit there was, was extremely fun, I would literally come back to do it again

To be entirely honest, Breslin, I think the route that Onohara went was one of the main factors that held back the yakuza-focused role we initially intended to create. Not going to hang out in this thread. I think that yakuza role play can be done, and done well. But I was there, and I do not think Ruriko was a character that was played true to the idea we were striving to make real. Respect.

• Thanks 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic