Thoughts on Yakuza roleplay?

scar

8 hours ago, Juicy said:

But it’s true, the Italian mob doesn’t exist anymore 

You're not entirely incorrect. Cosa Nostra's influence has been greatly diminished over the years, they're nowhere near as powerful as they used to be.  Once great families like Philly's Bruno and Miami's Traficante are now almost defunct. The five families in New York are also struggling, but they're holding on with labor racketeering, illegal gambling and dope peddling. Ironically enough, most of those rackets have been devastated due to the COVID outbreak and the lockdown that followed. The one crime family that has been entirely eradicated I would say is the Los Angeles crime family or the "Mickey Mouse Mob".  The LA family was never really taken seriously by anybody to begin with so it's not really a surprise that they disappeared without a trace. You had some activity with Kenny Gallo and his crew of young guns in the nineties but that really ended when he became an informant. The last remnants of the West Coast Mob died with Peter Milano in 2012.  I assumed you meant organized crime in general by the way, you should have been more specific.

Just to stay on topic, I think you should absolutely go for it. Do some research on Yakuza in LA and if you can come up with a convincing enough story, I'm sure the IFM will be reasonable with your request. You just have to have a good reason to be in LS.

Edited by rootless cosmopolitan

As awesome as a yakuza faction may seem to you, I’ve had the same hope for norteno factions in the past. They both usually are denied, if you really believe you have a shot at it, it doesn’t hurt to try just don’t get your hopes up.

Edited by xdthe
  • 3 months later...

pBlSgUc.png
Need I say more? However, even though there are Yakuza elements within the United States, they most likely operate as organized crime groups do. For example, most members look like every day citizens like you and I, most likely business owners or investors, etc which leaves me to think they are more white collar crime. They may not seem actively dangerous as in homicides, gangs and so on but they are still deemed present. Most of them in the states probably don't go through ritualistic stuff seen in Yakuza movies only due to the popularity of the notorious crime that comes with it. 

On 9/28/2020 at 1:32 PM, xdthe said:

As awesome as a yakuza faction may seem to you, I’ve had the same hope for norteno factions in the past. They both usually are denied, if you really believe you have a shot at it, it doesn’t hurt to try just don’t get your hopes up.

I have Opinions™ on this matter that are hard for me to express without sounding like I'm throwing shade on current illegal factions, so huge disclaimer: I do love illegal RP and the passion that illegal RPers put into their organizations and their roleplay. I by no means want to sound like I'm putting their quality in question as they are a huge driving force for the whole community directly and indirectly.

Anyway, ever since I joined the server, every so often there's word of someone working on a Yakuza faction, and every single time the gossip machine brings back that it was shot down due to issues with realism when compared to the alleged scope of the Yakuza in real-life Los Angeles fundamentally, as well as other specifics depending on the particular proposal (there's been quite a few).

Now, this is where I want to tread lightly in saying that I don't understand (from the outside, lacking insider knowledge) the apparent double-standard in measuring the Yakuza specifically as opposed to other factions currently existing. I'm not saying that existing criminal factions are bad, but they are often not the biggest example of real-life realism. They're often a GTA sort of realism. Which is great in my opinion. This is pretty much applicable to civilian and Gov RPers, which are realistic, yes, but in the lens of a GTA RP exageration.

I simply struggle to understand why the Yakuza specifially (a very popular criminal idea) seem to be held to this extreme standard when we have illegal factions constantly pretty much at open war around the city making daily hits and displaying a level of openness about themselves that definitely doesn't follow RL rules (few of us really do on this server because we're here to RP and have fun and explore stories, this isn't a bad thing, again).

Anyway thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Edited by Koko
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Koko said:

I simply struggle to understand why the Yakuza specifially (a very popular criminal idea) seem to be held to this extreme standard when we have illegal factions constantly pretty much at open war around the city making daily hits and displaying a level of openness about themselves that definitely doesn't follow RL rules (few of us really do on this server because we're here to RP and have fun and explore stories, this isn't a bad thing, again).

because yakuza doesn't exist in that way in LA, all their work IRL is either legal or gun-smuggling through hawaii. 

It's like someone making an irish mafia, british street gang, ect. They don't exist in the US let alone LA so why would they be allowed on the server. If Yakuza is allowed, then new-york gang's have to be allowed, and UK drill gangs have to be allowed, and australian gangs have to be allowed. 

1 hour ago, Koko said:

I simply struggle to understand why the Yakuza specifially (a very popular criminal idea) seem to be held to this extreme standard

Yakuza isn't being specifically targeted or held to an extreme standard. Someone tried make a chicago based gang on the server and it got denied, just like Yakuza would be. The only difference is Chicago is in the same country whereas Yakuza is on the other side of the globe.

Edited by Pathway
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Koko said:

I have Opinions™ on this matter that are hard for me to express without sounding like I'm throwing shade on current illegal factions, so huge disclaimer: I do love illegal RP and the passion that illegal RPers put into their organizations and their roleplay. I by no means want to sound like I'm putting their quality in question as they are a huge driving force for the whole community directly and indirectly.

Anyway, ever since I joined the server, every so often there's word of someone working on a Yakuza faction, and every single time the gossip machine brings back that it was shot down due to issues with realism when compared to the alleged scope of the Yakuza in real-life Los Angeles fundamentally, as well as other specifics depending on the particular proposal (there's been quite a few).

Now, this is where I want to tread lightly in saying that I don't understand (from the outside, lacking insider knowledge) the apparent double-standard in measuring the Yakuza specifically as opposed to other factions currently existing. I'm not saying that existing criminal factions are bad, but they are often not the biggest example of real-life realism. They're often a GTA sort of realism. Which is great in my opinion. This is pretty much applicable to civilian and Gov RPers, which are realistic, yes, but in the lens of a GTA RP exaggeration.

Anyway thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

its mainly because the GTAW illegal rp scene is mainly based off of criminal groups that operate in and around LA. Yes, the Yakuza does business in places like LA, but as Pathway and others have said, that kinda work is mostly on a legal level for them and their presence isn't really sizeable enough to be compared to the presence of Chinese & Korean criminal groups, or even Hispanic/Black gang for that matter.

Countless other faction ideas usually end up denied aswell, including Nortenos, Chicago / Midwest / East-Coast street gangs and pretty much any other group that realistically wouldn't have a proper foothold on the west coast of the US.

• Wuhtah locked this topic