The problem with Forum Reports.

Daquan Kingston

Speaking as an administrator, forum reports are often difficult to deal with, especially where there is 10 or so replies, or its a type of roleplay you're not particularly well-versed in, for example, I'm no expert in gang roleplay so I tend to refrain from reports that involve gangs. In addition, most administrators have a heavy workload which increases how long a forum report takes. For example, I come home from my real life job and I've got FM work to do, reports & tickets in game to look at and a lengthy amount of research to do, now apply a similar workload throughout the administration team and I think it helps uncover why forum reports often take a long time to get resolved.

Are forum reports frustrating? Absolutely, for both sides, but if there's clear evidence (video evidence is always best) presented by both sides in as few replies as possible, it really does help. 

I like the sound of some of the suggestions in this discussion, however!

25 minutes ago, HaveADream said:

Speaking as an administrator, forum reports are often difficult to deal with, especially where there is 10 or so replies, or its a type of roleplay you're not particularly well-versed in, for example, I'm no expert in gang roleplay so I tend to refrain from reports that involve gangs. In addition, most administrators have a heavy workload which increases how long a forum report takes. For example, I come home from my real life job and I've got FM work to do, reports & tickets in game to look at and a lengthy amount of research to do, now apply a similar workload throughout the administration team and I think it helps uncover why forum reports often take a long time to get resolved.

Are forum reports frustrating? Absolutely, for both sides, but if there's clear evidence (video evidence is always best) presented by both sides in as few replies as possible, it really does help. 

I like the sound of some of the suggestions in this discussion, however!

I've seen dozens of reports where the two sides bicker over the report and prolong it, resulting in a too many replies for the admin to go over. I tend to either reply 1 and state that it will be my only reply until an admin asks me to reply, which drastically reduced my wait time for outcome on a report.

The problem is that there are many people who for some reason are more than happy to fill out a forum report just to spite the other party, despite the fact that they may have lost nothing. If someone is constantly trolling and deathmatching, or otherwise doing something that actually has negative consequences to someone, then by all means fill out a report.

If someone did something that did not negatively affect anyone, why bother wasting people's time?

To me most reports are retaliatory in nature and seldom come from any genuine position. Reports should represent a failure of communication between players. It is my honest opinion that reports should contain a very clear requirement for evidence. Reports should be locked upon being posted, and only be forwarded if it’s deemed that clear evidence is present. Players should resolve most problems themselves, and furthermore administrators should only exhaust valuable investigative resources for real problems that had real consequences for people. 

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

To me most reports are retaliatory in nature and seldom come from any genuine position. Reports should represent a failure of communication between players. It is my honest opinion that reports should contain a very clear requirement for evidence. Reports should be locked upon being posted, and only be forwarded if it’s deemed that clear evidence is present. Players should resolve most problems themselves, and furthermore administrators should only exhaust valuable investigative resources for real problems that had real consequences for people. 

This. No one listens to the rule about not going back and forth (or very rarely) and it makes more work for the handling Administrator. Locking it would be easiest, but there aren't always Admins around when a report is filed. These threads should have a clear requirement that no one posts once a report has been filed until an Administrator picks it up, not even the reported party. It should be silent until an Admin is ready to hear both sides. The burden of evidence should be on the reporting/reported parties to produce and people shouldn't expect Admins to request logs for simple issues that could've been resolved outside of a forum report.

• 2 months later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic