More Active Crime Journalism

A_Acko

On 9/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, Mitch said:

We was never notified by LSPD, LSSD or FD when major incidents or scenes occurred, we had fully IC channels authorised by FM, but we wasn't told that a major incident was ongoing, we had to find them or drive around. It wasnt a great system, nor is it a great system, it requires all agencies to be cooperative and talk to the media. But as of recent FD has gone out of it's way to ban staff from talking to the media, even going as far to ban them OOC'ly from talking to the media, as it requires Corruption Permissions, a move which was strange, as LSPD and SD take it generally IC. 

This is the biggest issue that exists I believe, PD,SD,FD should be notifying news agencies or approved news agencies by LFM should have some sort of access to notifications or something so they could arrive on scene.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:12 AM, HaveADream said:

Sure, my 31 year old hyper-liberal journalist could've made a bigger effort to report on crime in South Central, but to me, that showed a real lack of fear RP, my character didn't want to get shot for a job.

It's not the 80's journalists don't get shot for reporting on criminals, at this day and age being a journalist is similar as to being a cop to kill one is a death sentence. If some gang bangers or even organised criminals decided to kill you for writing a story on them it would be poor roleplay from them to go after you to try and actively kill you. If they are big enough of a criminal they would maybe work to make sure you lose your job etc but killing journalists doesn't really happen in this day and age, these days it's political or happens in third world countries which we are not portraying here. I could be wrong of course.

Being a criminal reporter is pretty difficult, as a lot of organized crimes / gangs are pretty hidden at their activity and so far, only police has managed to supervise that activity, even so..its probably just tip of the ice-berg that they manage to investigate. 

I think, law enforcement should attempt to cooperate with the news department, so when there is a "approved warrant" on somebody, the police or district attorney would notify news station about that suspect(s). Plus a lot of former-criminals got their mugshot pictures, so news could use that in their articles and not to mention, it'd help police narrow down the search of the wanted-suspect, but instead.. the whole "warrants / wanted suspects" always was kept in the family in PD/SD. It didn't matter if it was on GTA:World or anywhere else in RP community, its just..an old way, most likely to avoid criminals knowing that they are "wanted", but in reality..they can "delay" the publication for few hours maybe a day, but it has to go live and citizens must be informed about the wanted suspect. 

So I think that...the city hall should come in play & justice department, so the approved warrants would be publicly known or at least news-station notified, so news has something to do.

Same goes with on-going crime scene, yes..its impossible for news department to get scanners, unless you'd make a system allowing the news department to pay attention to the police's /r chatters, so they'd have some sort of a chance to arrive on scene, get commentary and publish on-going investigation, and with that being said - the investigation and all that, would have to be top-notch, because "public" is involved and every city-act is usually mayor office related, so if something doesn't go correctly from law enforcement sides, the city hall could shit down on the police high-ups, and the police high-ups would shit down on their superior officers to get results done and all that (pretty similar how its done in real world).

I don't think there should be any worry from law enforcement side, from what I remember as a cop RP'er - we always wrote incidence reports, detailed explanations , same with the arrest reports and such..evidence attachment, so everything there is solid. So when you got a approven warrant by the "justice department" why the worry? Its not gonna be "your fault" , its the judges that approved the warrant, weather it was right to issue it or not, judge supposed to have his judgement in check (but that's like any judge out there, if cops know how to properly sort out a warrant and possess valid and strong evidence, its a no brainer).

43 minutes ago, Henning said:

I mean, how hard would it be to do court reporting? It's literally on the forums.

I'm planning on returning to that soon, but I'm seeking a graphics designer before I begin. 

It's not about 'how hard would it be', its about the time and effort to research the case, look up IRL caselaw, etc. Time and effort = no reward for the write up. 

Edited by Mitch

12 minutes ago, Mitch said:

It's not about 'how hard would it be', its about the time and effort to research the case, look up IRL caselaw, etc. Time and effort = no reward for the write up. 

This is what the "how hard could it be?" people don't understand. It's only hard if you're doing it ethically and with a view towards protecting the IC legal position of yourself and your employer. And yes, both I and the LSNN management/owners were threatened with IC legal action for breaking stories. This happened a few times during the election campaigns.

There are also OOC rules about what can and can't be published while one of the court cases is ongoing. You have to know these rules and tailor your article around them. IC there is the risk of being held in contempt of court should you overstep the mark and publish something over which the the court has exercised a suppression order.

But, if you want to RP some crackpot running a side-blog with zero regard to any of the above, well sure, it's really easy to do. That's why we now have so many doing exactly that.

15 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

But, if you want to RP some crackpot running a side-blog with zero regard to any of the above, well sure, it's really easy to do. That's why we now have so many doing exactly that.

We have so many right now because LSNN isn't doing anything for months now, and that's a fact. OFFICIAL FACTION that is supposed to do it. And I personally (and many other people) was throwing stories their way a few times, and guess what? No one gave a single fuck about it.

Just now, .Pluto. said:

We have so many right now because LSNN isn't doing anything for months now, and that's a fact. OFFICIAL FACTION that is supposed to do it. And I personally (and many other people) was throwing stories their way a few times, and guess what? No one gave a single fuck about it.

My faction spent 3 months creating one of the most detailed interiors on the server, have plans for an actual professional fighting league that isn't just in the back of a boxing gym but actually had proper press conferences, weigh ins and cards that weren't just put together the day of. We approached LSNN with the exclusive story and were told and I quote "Sorry, we aren't doing free advertisement for your MMA league". 

For a faction that says they have a hard time finding topics to write on, they sure do turn down a lot of topics to write on. 

5 minutes ago, Henning said:

For a faction that says they have a hard time finding topics to write on, they sure do turn down a lot of topics to write on. 

Who exactly said that?

You should pay closer attention, because what's actually being said is the complete opposite.

If we write these stories properly, there are far too many stories for us to cover all of them. There was a time where LSNN had only two active journalists consistently writing. That's a problem.

I saw numerous interns come and go, some very quickly once they realized what the RP actually required.

I'd have loved to cover a few really great stories, including one involving large-scale extortion out in Blaine County, but we just couldn't get to them.

Everyone wants quality news, nobody seems to want to write it. And having experienced being burned out by the RP myself, I entirely understand that point of view.

42 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

We have so many right now because LSNN isn't doing anything for months now, and that's a fact.

I'm not sure what's really happening now with LSNN (and it seems like the new management are trying some good ideas), but the reason LSNN went dormant is because the two journalists who were writing the bulk of the stories resigned from the faction because of exhaustion.

LSNN constantly, and has always, advertised for people to join, but only a handful of interns ever did while I was there. All but one of those interns left. One left mid-way through his first assignment. The one who remained, wrote very niche industry articles; great ones - but niche.

Think about it - how many people are going to choose sitting for hours - not even in the game - writing and researching an article over RP with PD, SD or FD? I'm not being critical, I'm just pointing out the reality of journalism RP.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, everyone wants quality news, nobody seems to want to write it.

I truly hope that LSNN's management can turn it around and make the work-load lighter for everyone involved. Good luck to them.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

I'm not sure what's really happening now with LSNN (and it seems like the new management are trying some good ideas), but the reason LSNN went dormant is because the two journalists who were writing the bulk of the stories resigned from the faction because of exhaustion.

LSNN constantly, and has always, advertised for people to join, but only a handful of interns ever did while I was there. All but one of those interns left. One left mid-way through his first assignment. The one who remained, wrote very niche industry articles; great ones - but niche.

Think about it - how many people are going to choose sitting for hours - not even in the game - writing and researching an article over RP with PD, SD or FD? I'm not being critical, I'm just pointing out the reality of journalism RP.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, everyone wants quality news, nobody seems to want to write it.

I truly hope that LSNN's management can turn it around and make the work-load lighter for everyone involved. Good luck to them.

If I join the faction right now, it wouldn't be my first time doing that kind of Roleplay. And it's not all about doing it on forums. Plenty of stuff to do in game, do investigative journalism which is most interesting part. Since you're participating a lot in that pointless extortion discussion, that's one great topic, and LSNN could write 5 HUGE articles just about one that topic. So many roleplays could be done about just that one topic. And trust me, there are lots of more on my mind. Death of Nancy Rosales and bringing heads of VR13 in front of the Court was another wonderful topic to write about, and I pointed it out to LSNN, even described the situation, what would RPwise be already known to anyone. There is so many topics that could be done, so many sections that articles can be in (Crime, Entertainment, Lifestyle etc.), interview of IC famous character, literally anything, where lots of Roleplay can be done, and it was never done in the past few months. I blame previous management, and I hope we'll see changes from the current management. I highly advise you guys, if you need any kind of advice for News faction, ask @Eriks. I was a part of SAN on another server when he was leading it, and he thought us many thing, about how to do the job properly, and he was a true leader. S/O to fat guy Jep Appelo.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic